PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Marmot, Fury Warrior & ToGC Healing, Hunter Guide!

Ciderhelm
11-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Another week starting with a lot of new content! Be aware that I'll be editing the Weekly Marmot directly into this post when it's ready, so check back here if you're not subscribed to our YouTube channel.

TheGreatMe's Fury Warrior Guide (Video & Written)
Warriors are already familiar with TheGreatMe, or TGMofLos, for his past Fury movie guides. We're proud to announce his newest guide can be found here on TankSpot -- Click here to read and view the guide! (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f177/57781-wotlk-fury-warrior-guide.html)

Crocstar's Hunter Guide
Crocstar has written an excellent Hunter resource for our DPS forums. He is the third member of Splug's guild, Angry, to contribute guides to the community. Check this out here! (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f177/57603-hunter-raid-guide.html)

The Weekly Marmot
Frodo Gone Wild.

TjgZ-Xwd2UM

A Healer's Perspective (Trial of the Grand Crusade 25-man)
Aliena has created a video for our healing community covering specific healing issues and strategies in ToGC! (Also, she's put up a transcript here (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f207/57889-togc-25-healer-s-perspective.html))

_HWNjksReV8

Regarding Our Community
Our website is not designed to support the diversity of subjects, classes, and roles we've taken on in the last year. With growing Healing and DPS communities and the intent to expand our news coverage beyond just raiding and class news, we're going to have to rebuild parts of this site from scratch when we implement vBulletin 4. I've already asked for the healers' feedback here (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f207/57849-what-would-you-like-out-healing-community.html), but anyone else is welcome to jump in on the discussion.

The vBulletin team has given us a preview (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php) of their new CMS (frontpage), and as a web developer I am very excited for the potential. Practically speaking, this will make finding the class, role, raid, or other information you're looking for much easier, which in turn means we'll be able to shove a lot more news out without worrying about what we're bumping down.

Mamoth
11-09-2009, 09:17 AM
great vid!

Ariedan
11-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Hurry up, Weekly Marmot!

Ciderhelm
11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Weekly Marmot is up!

Ariedan
11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Yes! Lore danced for me!

Ciderhelm
11-09-2009, 07:31 PM
One of you owes him $10.

Dresk
11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Criss, I think you owe Lore $10.

Ciruss
11-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Woot! Lore Danced. Good fight between you guys but Lore come out on top. I actually use of those but I have it hooked up in a weird way where i can play with a keyboard and that at the same time. I usually only use the keyboard though. It can get very confusing for a caster class. Especially a mage.

Ariedan
11-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, I owe Lore $10. He's earned it, after that.

Bluedot
11-09-2009, 07:49 PM
LOL at frame 8:08

Ariedan
11-09-2009, 07:52 PM
LOL at frame 8:08
Haha! I didn't even see that.

Lore
11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
yep.

also I don't know why there's a lag on the audio. It all works fine on my end. Will try to have it fixed for next week >.>

Ariedan
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Lore, I'll keep paying you money if you keep fulfilling my dares.

Lore
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I am quite easily bought.

Eoika
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe next week some karaoke?

MaximusRex
11-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Really cool that you use the n52te, I love mine, and its so much better on my wrist then when I used to play off the keyboard. I also use the dpad for various abilities instead of for movement. My main is my aff lock, and I have SoC bound the the wheel button, and scroll down is tab, scroll up, shift+tab. I used to rule Hyjal, lol.

What I do differently is all my movement is mound to my mouse, I use a Microsoft Habu, and have reverse and strafe left right bound to 3 of the 4 buttons. I love it for DPS/PvP/Tanking, but it sucks royaly for healing, since I don't raid heal much, meh.

The Blue LED is annoying as heck, I had a piece of paper taped over it for the past year, but what I wound up doing, since I wasn't using the various states to expand on my button maps, was just set it to the green state in the control panel, that is the least annoying LED, to me at least, and I don't have to keep it covered.

Enjoying the weekly Marmot, look forward to next week! <3

Munchausen
11-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I love my N52 it has been a faithful MMO friend. Gosh I'm not sure which year I got it. I have had it a long time. I've been using the D-pad for movement for so long that I can't even imagine using another way. (Jebus help me if they stop making them.)
I do look forward to purchasing the TE version.

Krynis
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Logitech® G13 Advanced Gameboard (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/mice_keyboard_combos/devices/5123&cl=ca,en) is another option but I have not heard if the n52te is better or not.

swelt
11-10-2009, 02:23 AM
"Adding an extra finger ... is really handy"

^.^,

drae
11-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Great video Lore, love the dance.

I use the dpad on my N52TE for movement. It took me a full week to acclimatise to it, but being able to move in all directions with just my thumb frees up my other fingers to mash more buttons.

Toppinyouoff
11-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Hey Lore, for your bright LED light. If you put a dot of elmers glue over it, it will dampen the brightness greatly and you won't have to use the bottle cap anymore. :)

Beonin
11-10-2009, 05:42 AM
I've tried that gamepad and it is too big for my little hands. So I found the Wolfking Warrior (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/21/wolfking_warrior_xxtreme/). It took me a while to rebind all my keys since I had to unbind keys like c and r and t and find them new home that I could remember. Once I got it all set up, I fell in love with it. Absolutely everything that I could possibly need is bound completely removing the need for mouse clicking. Now I never have to take my eyes off of my screen to find that one thing I need right now but almost never use.

Yabby
11-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Great Vid

Another easy fix that completely solves the LED issue on the n52 that I use is to simply cover it with 2 pieces of black electrical tape. Doing that completely prevents light from escaping.

lawtk
11-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Great vid.

I've been using the Nostromo device for quite some time and I love it. I got the TE edition as soon as it came out and I have to agree with Lore that the construction quality is vastly superb over the belkin edition.

I will have to disagree with you on the D-Pad. I am an old console warrior and found using the WASD keys for movement very difficult to use. Once I switched to the nostromo device, it took about 30 seconds for me to get use to using the D-pad for movement.

Using the D-Pad has allowed me to use the button pad for all the normal key bindings (1-0, - and =) plus use the red and green shift capabilities to expand how many usable keys I have.

All told I have about 30 usable keys setup with the device which allows me to have a ton of control over all my characters abilities.

Now, I can see why folks don't like the D-Pad. I tried to convert two of my guildies to using it and they just couldn't get the hang of it, so to each their own I guess.

Cheers!

Ion
11-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Hmm...I used to run a LAN way back in the day and the guys who made the original version of the n52 came and showed it off before it was out.

Ever since then I've stayed away from the thing.

But it sounds like this version is less awful. I would really REALLY love to have the ability to move properly AND execute my rotation...but I worry that the D-pad is loose about its directions (like...if I hit mostly-down-but-kinda-right-too, would it try to register both or would it just go down?). I suppose, considering all tthe endorsements in this thread it might be worth the effort to try...it would be super helpful if I can make it work.

ae0n3
11-10-2009, 09:11 AM
It's been a while since Cider's done any video/podcast content. And based on his armory I don't even think he plays WoW anymore. I wish he didn't have to handle all the development side of this site so he could have more time to produce content instead of delegating it out to a bunch of other people. Not that the extra content isn't good, but it seems incomplete without your main TankSpot dude.

Mongface
11-10-2009, 09:12 AM
"Adding an extra finger ... is really handy"

^.^,

I smiled too..

Oh and the thumb isn't a finger ;)

Heladys
11-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Logitech® G13 Advanced Gameboard (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/mice_keyboard_combos/devices/5123&cl=ca,en) is another option but I have not heard if the n52te is better or not.

I own both the N52TE and the G13. Personally I like the G13 better as the N52TE's "D-pad" always felt ridiculously stiff to me whereas the G13's mini joystick is very loose and responsive.

Otherise, almost direclty comparable if you ignore the LCD display on the G13. if you don't ignore it, then it's neat being able to target say Ventrilo's LCD display to the G13 while your G15/G19 keyboard display the WoW stats.

Doc309
11-10-2009, 09:46 AM
using the D-pad for movement ... but with forward as D-pad R, up/down as strafe L/R, and L as backwards.
push thumb run to the front, pull thumb back up. right mouse button fine tunes steering.
using the green LED less distracting/bright.
using big thumb button as <shift> modifier.
small circle button as gogomount bind.
if you do not bind the diagonals the d-pad works great.

Doc

Suffix
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I also use the Logitech® G13 Advanced Gameboard (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/mice_keyboard_combos/devices/5123&cl=ca,en). With 25 customizable keys, and the ability to swap them out on the fly, it is the perfect pad for WoW. It also uses a (4 position) Joystick instead of a basic D-Pad, so it is a little easier for movement. Of course, you can also program them for spells if necessary. The only modification I had to do, was place a single speck of superglue on the "G11" (home) key, so I could easily find it during a frantic firefight.

I am very happy with the pad, and would recommend it to anyone. Like any game pad it does take a while to get used to it, but I dont think I could play WoW without it now.

devilsagony
11-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Just on a side note , that is not even impiortant, i used my itough to shazam the song in the background Lore, it claims(not sure how much to trust it) that the band is indeed Mystic age, and the song title is Skies Of Fantasies. I do not know if that helps or but there ya go!

enkil
11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
lol at the chill dancing lore!
I also bind for example interrupt to one of the extra 2 buttons of the classic 7 button web-mouse it helps a lot, so you dont have to move the hand on those less than 2 sec casts

DnQuxiti
11-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Allow me to evangelize for the Merc Stealth (http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/merc_stealth/information) keyboard. I have been using it for a couple of years now, and I love it. Same deal, you get to use your thumb for more, but since it is all one device, even though it is bigger than a normal keyboard, it isn't THAT much bigger. Also, the WASD Keys on it are nice and big and comfy, so it is easy find by touch, I have never accidentlaly ended up on ESDF instead for example.
Same basic idea with programming to, it will autodetect what you launch and setup specific keybinds for you, and the software allows you to remap every single key on the keyboard if you so desire.
The keys have kind of a rubbery texture to them, and it is pretty quiet too, my only real complaint with it is the num pad, which is condensed to keep the overall size down, and does take some getting used to.

veneretio
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Awesome, looking forward to next week, Lore!

Krete
11-10-2009, 02:30 PM
I need to upgrade to the TE, I liked what the original N52 did for me, but the keys were just so stiff I eventually migrated back to the keyboard. Christmas list!

Also, I keybind a lot, so I use shift+ and Alt+ (and sometimes ctrl+) quite a bit. I had the modifier keys bound to the d-pad on the n52. I do like the idea of putting abilities on the thumb, but the way I am used to moving, I had the top row of the n52 like : 1, 2, e, 3, 4
(where 'e' is forward)

Either way you go, the n52's thumb aspect really adds a ton of potential.

Also, I just caught up on the Weekly Marmot, and I enjoyed them and look forward to more.

Karhazn
11-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I must admit Lore, you are quite the epic dancer.

Great vids, love the content that keeps pumping out from all you guys!

CrazyGirly
11-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I love that dance Lore.

I watched the video like 3 times just for that bit.

squats
11-10-2009, 08:50 PM
You gona' take that Aliana?

squats
11-10-2009, 08:52 PM
You gona' take that Aliana?
Aliena* even. (damn not being able to edit news comments.)

Riptides
11-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Everyone talking about the "key pad" but giving no love to the Logitech Mx518. It's one of the better gaming mice (meese, mouses) I've used and have been using it to play WoW for over a year now and almost in need of a new one. Using the included software you can setup the 3 extra buttons on top to do a keybind presses (like Ctrl+1 etc..) instead of the defaults and it's really paid for itself in usefulness with the 5 extra buttons on it. I even have a callous on my thumb from having bound the easiest to press of the two thumb buttons as my Heroic Strike. Love it.

Cerbearus
11-11-2009, 02:07 AM
I also use the logitech G13 and love it. I had the original N52 when it first came out but I returned it because of the poor build quality. The G13 key movement is very smooth, just like their G series keyboards. I have tried a number of setups, but the one I finally settled on was using the analog stick for strafing and forward/backward movement. I still use the mouse to turn.

One idea I would really like to see is a gaming mouse that includes an xbox/ps3 style thumb stick. Together with the G13 you would have dual analog sticks just like a console yet retain the quick precise movements only a mouse can provide.

Tankasaurus1337
11-11-2009, 02:21 AM
I used to use that controller in the marmot vid.
I LOVED it.
I had the little circle button bound to taunt.
Made my life infinitely easier.
Then the top right key stopped working.
Not being able to devastate in combat kind of...sucked.
So back to the normal keyboard it is for me.

Darksend
11-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Everyone talking about the "key pad" but giving no love to the Logitech Mx518. It's one of the better gaming mice (meese, mouses) I've used and have been using it to play WoW for over a year now and almost in need of a new one. Using the included software you can setup the 3 extra buttons on top to do a keybind presses (like Ctrl+1 etc..) instead of the defaults and it's really paid for itself in usefulness with the 5 extra buttons on it. I even have a callous on my thumb from having bound the easiest to press of the two thumb buttons as my Heroic Strike. Love it.

the only mouse I have ever found that is better than the 518 is the 1000, if only the 1000 was note wireless, but alas charging it sucked so I switched to the 518 and have had it for a while now.

Cannot say enough good things about it

Radhja
11-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Aliena! Please, oh please, oh please do a Spriest movie/guide! :o

Aregios
11-11-2009, 07:25 AM
What is your other hand doing while playing wow, Lore? I think he would feel very pissed seeing the other one having fun...

Lilie
11-11-2009, 08:22 AM
"If you look real close [indicates StarCraft poster]..."

lol

Igrado
11-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Lore, you could also try stick a small piece of electrical tape over the offending light.

Fetzie
11-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Lore, you could also try stick a small piece of electrical tape over the offending light.

Gaffer Tape, is there anything it can't do? :)

nice video, looking forward to the next dare (and video :p).

Nidhish
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Great videos peeps! Can't control my smile when watching Alienna!
By the way, have you thought about doing 2-man descriptions of videos, meaning there are 2 people explaining the tactics, formations etc? Just thinkin.

Ilyn
11-12-2009, 04:05 AM
I also use the N52 but I do not have the TE. As a result I have very strong fingers lol. I use the D pad for movment and I love it. I tried several different ways of setting it up (includeing useing the D pad for keybinds and modifiers) but this worked best for me on all my characters. I also use the thumb button for Esc and the wheel up for Tab and wheel back for target last target. Just sharing my config in case others want to try it out. :)

Chukklez
11-12-2009, 07:35 AM
What's the song at the beginning during the bitchin dance?

Ollin
11-12-2009, 09:06 AM
All I gotta say is N52TE + thumb movement = WIN.

That and I swapped the zoom in/out bindings with the next/previous action bar bindings in my default keybindings. While I sometimes scroll up when I should scroll down and hit my /rw Vent Info-spam macro while I'm raiding when I was trying to penance or mutilate having access to an absurdly large number of buttons without needing to move my hands is just glorious.

Oh...I also have to say that the Z-Boards are the spawn of Satan. Don't fall into their trap.

I consider a Z-Board to be the mark of either a poor, or gullible player. They're just bad.

Go invest into a good macro keyboard with anti-ghosting and smooth action if you want a nice keyboard.

Good peripherals are like crack: you won't be able to live without them after you try them.

Z-Boards, OTOH, are crap.

Bigmoomma
11-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Great job Lore. Keep up the great work. I really miss the old podcast's that Cider and you used to do that brought me to this site. Was my favorite thing about it.

oodigler
11-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Your going bald just like me :D

morphéus
11-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Great vid, but will there be one from ciderhelm? :)

Daeri
11-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Got a n52, though the original Belkin one. I haven't tried out the TE, but ye, the original buttons are a bit stiff, but not a big problem.

Just like alot of the posters here, I use the D-pad for movement. It took me 1-2 months to not completely suck at movement, but now it's as natural as ever. It also frees up the fingers that I would normally use for WASD, not only the buttons. For example, you want to move forward and turn to the left (W and A) but you also want to press button 1 (or on a keyboard 1). Then there's a conflict, but is solved by a quick interruption. By using the D-pad, it's easier to avoid those problems, since you're not using several skills at the same time. You sorted that by using D-pad for skills, so I guess it works out.

I have one weird thing though, I use my thumb button on my mouse for shift button (could be ctrl or whatever) so that gives me 14 + 14 skills on my hotkeys. As a DK, that fits everything I need. It was also a bit awkward at first since you need to coordinate the thumb button on right hand with key presses on the left. Suffice to say, my Death Grip (button 4) have sometimes been misclicked instead of Icebound Fortitude (shift + button 4).

I guess it's alot of different styles. That beign said, I kept the keybindings on the N52 so easy that I can paly with a regular keyboard (example, laptop or something)

klor
11-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I has a question for you Lore!

Why do you wear the same clothes in every weekly marmot? You should wash those things.. I bet they smell when you wear them weeks at a time!

oodigler
12-02-2009, 01:13 AM
After seeing that controller you use, i decided to go for the Logitech G13, similar to the N52 but has a few more options. I want to try the directional pad however to see if the movement is that bad, i've not used one before so it may work for me, we'll see. But i decided to go for one, because the use direction keys and num pad is too restrictive, and for some reason wasd doesn't work for me??? But can't wait to try this new device, arriving tomorrow :)

Djtk
01-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes, I realize that I am necroing this, but for good reason.

After making sure that it was ok with Lore, I have found a place where one can purchase the track that Lore uses (or used to use) in these videos.

https://www.djdownload.com/mp3-detail/Mysticage/The+Lips+Of+The+Sun/Musique+Tranquille/963054

The site itself is totally legit and I did not encounter any kind of malware, spyware or anything like that, so don't be worried about that.

The track itself is 9 minutes and 30 seconds long. The price is around $1.47 usd I think.

Anyways, enjoy :).