PDA

View Full Version : Have I lost my mind? Tanking heroics gets harder with gear?

DeusNoctis
11-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Whenever I'm doing the daily heroics now, I can't maintain threat because the mobs don't seem to be hitting me hard at all which turns into people dying, and then me getting booted. Should I downgrade my gear when I do heroics or something? This is awful.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kil%27jaeden&n=Gilfeather)

This didn't use to be a problem before, but ever since I've been getting my hands on some nice gear, it's gotten worse and worse.

Keep in mind, this only seems to happen for multiple mobs, if it's single target, I'm ok.

Aggathon
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Just take off your pants in game...

...seriously... though tanking off your pants in real life while tanking is optional... however...

http://www.cubeecraft.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Venn-Diagram-pants.gif

Aggathon
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Oh I missed the multi mob thing...

Start cleaving if you're not, it'll help.

edit: I personally wish that you could devastate without a shield again 'cuz I'd just dual weild tank heroics. Also I put on a bunch of threat gear and try to get close to hit/exp cap. I think my "threat" gear I'm around 264 hit and 42 expertise.

Tygorl
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM
It's definitely harder once you get past a certain gear point. We used to run H VH with 4 dps & a heal in offspec since everything died too quick to kill anyone who wasn't a tank anyway, was good for lolz.

Reev
11-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I haven't noticed it being more difficult. I generally have enough rage to keep the mobs sticking to me, and that's good enough for me. It's no raid rage, but still, it works.

Aggathon
11-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I haven't noticed it being more difficult. I generally have enough rage to keep the mobs sticking to me, and that's good enough for me. It's no raid rage, but still, it works.

I usually run out and it bothers me, though recently I've just been throwing on my unhittable set and going my anub-cleave spec. I find it comical.

DeusNoctis
11-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I use cleave, tclap, and demo shout when tanking multiple mobs, but the problem comes when I can't keep spamming them due to rage issues. Should I just throw on my dreadnaught gear for heroics? Lol.

Aggathon
11-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I use cleave, tclap, and demo shout when tanking multiple mobs, but the problem comes when I can't keep spamming them due to rage issues. Should I just throw on my dreadnaught gear for heroics? Lol.

Don't demo shout, the aggro from it is wimpy at best, you're better off tab targeting through the mobs and shield slamming/devastating/revenging them, keeping cleave up as much as you can, and obviously tclap and shockwave when you can.

Durandro
11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Wearing pieces of DPS gear might help. So long as you keep around 535 Defense you should be perfectly survivable. The added AP, Crit, ArP, whatever from DPS plate will also let you pull bigger DPS numbers for a little harmless ePeen.

Block sets are also pretty nice. Especially if you managed to get an Unhittable set. Damage Shield alone will give reasonably good threat then, and you'll take practically zero damage from trash. Just don't rely on Damage Shield alone, obviously, keep Thunderclapping, Shockwaving, Cleaving, Devastating...

Just make sure you wear your best raiding gear while LFG so people can see your huge HP pool. Because you know, that's the only thing tanking requires in alot of their minds.

Aggathon
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Just make sure you wear your best raiding gear while LFG so people can see your huge HP pool. Because you know, that's the only thing tanking requires in alot of their minds.

I don't think people look for HP in LFG because they think stam is all that matters, I think they do it b/c if you have really good gear that gives you high stam, it means you have experience and they'd rather have the tank that has a couple piece of 258 and a 42k HP pool then the one that just hit 80 and is in blues/greens.

But then again, I also frequently overestimate the intelligence of the average player, and I play on an Maelstrom (Failstrom)... so I am frequently proven wrong at how capable people are =P.

E: I actually do do that though, I've gotten whispers before "Didn't you just have 40k HP? why is it so low now"

luv2tank
11-08-2009, 09:14 PM
why bother doing heroics? pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

uglybbtoo
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM

If the dps are geared you can forget about cleave it cost too much rage and doesn't generate enuf threat, as has been said tab thru and shield slam them. Basically charge in drop a thunderclap, shield slam the skull, shock wave mob, taunt on the skull and now start tabbing and whacking the off mobs.

DeusNoctis
11-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Alright, I'm going to have to try these different methods. It aggravates me that I didn't have this issue before I started getting better gear.

Thanks, everyone.

Airowird
11-09-2009, 04:46 AM
Petrified Lichen Guard - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25828) with Titanium Shield Spike - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42500)

Same as taking off your pants (ingame) and the reflective damage is just for lols (5min SM Armory runs FTW)

Khordam
11-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Wearing pieces of DPS gear might help. So long as you keep around 535 Defense you should be perfectly survivable. The added AP, Crit, ArP, whatever from DPS plate will also let you pull bigger DPS numbers for a little harmless ePeen.

I've been tanking heroics in very crittable gearsets (think ~420 defense) and not even been close to dying. Smart use of Shockwave and Shield Block will have you easily healable even in mostly DPS gear with a shield!
Heroic tanking, IMO, is no longer about taking little damage - it's about dealing a lot of it.

Petrified Lichen Guard - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25828) with Titanium Shield Spike - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42500)
I'd assume the added strength and AP (from more armor) on current shields as well as the additional block value bump the numbers for Reflective Shield, Shockwave and Thunderclap high enough to make up for the Lichen Guard's poison debuff, at the very least.

MellvarTank
11-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Don't use heroic strike.