PDA

View Full Version : Cant Keep Aggro.

itsasham
11-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey all, i'm an up and coming tank on daggerspine on EU, i only dinged 80 about 1 week ago and i'm currently making my way through heroics, i'm fairly new to tanking and so i'm not sure if i'm using the right rotation. i was wondering if anyone can help me with some aggro problems i keep having. here is my wow armoury link if anyone is interested:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Daggerspine&n=Wareyoore)

first of all, i seem to always find it hard to keep aggro against AoE. i had a mage who was casting blizzard, and i couldnt hold aggro against all of the mobs in most occasions.

secondly, every time army of the dead is popped, i just lose all my aggro, and find it very hard to regain it.

if anyone could help on either of those points it would be great.

my general rotation is just spam cleave and use TC and SW whenever they come off cd. and also use revenge, devistate, shield slam etc.

Surmaaja
11-08-2009, 07:27 AM
If you are running heroics, you could spec for improved cleave and glyph it. (I would replace glyph of revenge with it) Improved spell reflection, which you have now is more of a pvp talent and has little to no use in pve enviroment.
Mark one target to be killed before people start to aoe, that should give you enough time to produce needed threat on the other mobs. If that mage gets killed by any mob that does not have a skull on it, it's his fault and he will propaply learn it after few hits in the face.
Army of the dead allways taunts everything and is generally pain in the ass for tanks in heroics. My advice, stay back and watch how the mobs kill off you'r dk in the group after army goes off. or you can tell them not to use it when you are tanking :)

MellvarTank
11-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah... mage AoE is great for their dps... but not for your aggro (or the mage's health). You have 2 choices, let the mage die (especially if you marked the kill order), or battle charge, thunder clap, shockwave, tab devastate, tab devastate, lather rinse repeat.

AoD, Surmaaja covered it. The ghouls that pop spam taunt, same with a Shammy's earth/fire elementals, Huntard's pet growl, etc. You're a warrior, if you ask for AoD, then be prepared to mass taunt (challenging shout) when the army dies. If they use it without you asking for it, well that is another story.

My trick in H ToC (5 man) is wait until everything is up (phase 2 of the black knight), mass taunt, line them up in front and shockwave the whole mob. Then the dps has to AoE them to dead before shockwave is done... or I have a tough time taunting each off individually while tanking the boss. If a dk pops AoD... I will ignore the mobs until the AoD is all dead, then I will mass taunt/shockwave/etc. Oh, and if you do it this way, pop your shield block/shield wall or you could possibly die with all of the enemies attacking you.

Reev
11-09-2009, 08:57 AM
If I were you, I'd make sure to use vigilance on the overzealous AoE dpser. A lot of newer tanks (and veterans like me) tend to forget to use vigilance, but it's there for a reason. When I'm trying to keep AoE threat, I charge, thunderclap, shockwave, shield slam something, thunderclap again, then start tabbing through and spreading shield slams, revenges, etc. up amongst the mobs.

I would also try putting Deep Wounds into your build. A standard Deep Wounds (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItrx0didIzsGo) build will up your damage, and therefore threat, if you so desire, and it's a pretty standard tanking build, that will do you well through all content.

Reev
11-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Oh, and if things are still giving you trouble, make sure to mark targets before the pulls. If the dps are attacking the wrong target and pull aggro, that's their fault, and while you should still try to protect them, you don't have to feel bad if they die.

DPS all attacking the right targets is the most important thing for good aggro in heroics, in my opinion.

Giantone
11-10-2009, 10:45 AM
For heroics i would try and use the cleave build It looks awesome for aoe tanking.

Bludzooka
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm with Surmaaja, I always say I never deny a dps that wants to tank a chance to tank that goes for aoe and dps that likes to hop up in front and initiate a pull. I mark targets with the thought if skull is pulled off of me shame on me, if circle (the third kill target in my order) is pulled off me shame on them. I'm finding very ignorant dps these days, I'll pull and cut off los and they're aoeing on the way to me or stand in the doorway and get blasted.

Anyway I struggled with aoe threat more on my warrior than my druid but then I glyphed for cleave. As a raider there are probably better glyphs but for 5 mans and the occassional raid glyph of cleave I think is a good choice. It causes cleave to hit one extra target and with most pulls being four pulls in 5 mans this helps. In your case I'd replace you glyph of blocking.

Also I hate dps that use Army of the Dead except for a few fights such as phase 2 on Black Knight but a lot of times they cause more problems. I think it's awesome panic button for tanking but I find it annoying when i'm tanking and dps uses it.
(http://www.tankspot.com/forums/members/surmaaja.html)

MellvarTank
11-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Almost as annoying as typhoon...... O.o