PDA

View Full Version : Gear Advice and possible class change?

baint
11-07-2009, 02:37 AM
i have been tanking on my pally for quite a while with very high success, our guild runs through 10/25 toc and we are venturing into 10 togc.

should i replace a brewfest trink with black heart?

also, my friend just hit 80 on his warrior tank, and from what i have read i heard DK tanks are "god's gift to tanking" and that bear druids will be #1 tanks due to their mitigation and EH.

i have an 80 druid and dk and would be willing to deck either out. but would love to remain my pally if its plausable.

so in terms of advancing through content as successful as possible, which tanking class should i progress with? (which class is looking really nice right now/future)

Thanks!!!

Niian
11-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Paladin.
We are, and have been for quite some time, OP. Even with the recent threat nerf...

No don't replace brewfest with black heart. The proc is too haphazard to be of much benefit, and considering there are a lot of dots/spell based debuffs in Totc the extra hp would be more beneficial.

We normally run with 3 tanking classes, druid warrior and pally, each taking turns at tanking different bosses. For example the last boss in Beasts I'm normally tanking because I have more cooldowns available to save my ass after he does massive crash. Where as for Anub we have the druid tanking. etc
I wouldn't say druids are #1 for tanking, nor that DK tanks are "gods gift to tanking". Each class has their own benefits and downfalls, which all seem to equal out. More often than not you will find it's a matter of skill rather than class when trying to determine what makes a great tank.

jere
11-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Honestly picking a tank based on who is the best/most OP'ed or whatever is a bad move (unless you are a top 5 guild or something I guess). All tank classes can tank the content well, so pick the one you enjoy playing. If you like pallies, then stay a pally. Blizz nerfs and buffs as they see fit, so just because a class is the best in Patch A, come Patch B, they could be out. No tank classes are totally out of whack, so go with what you like.

Mert
11-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I honestly wouldn't change my Paladin for the world - even if they nerfed us completely into the floor I still wouldn't change because I simply love playing her.

You can take away mah Lay on Hands but ya cannae take away mah freedehm!

Zothor
11-09-2009, 07:57 AM
While I agree that you should play what you enjoy, and that if Paladins are what you enjoy it's a very powerful class these days, Druid tanks at the moment are flat out MASSIVELY OVERPOWERED. Yes, this is subject to change in content patches. Yes, the changes to Chill of the Throne may affect this. But here are the facts: in the current tier of content, nearly every extremely dangerous spike damage incident is UNAVOIDABLE and mitigated by armor. So druid's #1 weakness, their lack of parry, goes away immediately, and their #1 strength, their stupidly high armor and stamina relative to other tanks, helps hugely. Druids are, without a doubt, the most durable main tanks at the moment. There is the Heroic Anub'arak gimmick that certainly favors a shield-block tank, and there's no telling what the fight mechanics in Icecrown will be like, but since DKs/Druids had a hugely unfair advantage with spelldamage spikes for Malygos/Sarth 3D blizzard has made an active effort to have all big tank damage be physical so all four classes have a reasonable time with it. Add in to that Ghostcrawler's recent post that dangerous tank spikes will probably continue to be unavoidable just so they can be balanced properly, and Druid's huge advantage doesn't appear to be going away any time soon.

If you like your druid, I highly recommend playing it. There just aren't enough good druid tanks out there.

jere
11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Yes but the facts are also: No matter which tank you pick, you can do any of the content well. It doesn't matter if druids take damage better. Warriors take damage well enough that it doesn't impose any craziness on the raid, as do DK's, and paladins. The only people who are going to really care about the minor differences between them are a) Top progression guilds (possibly) and b) people who want to vent and need a reason.