PDA

View Full Version : Help Me stop Clicking

kingymech
11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Ok i have tried, boy have i tried using keybindings but i just cant seam to get my head into it, ive been a clicker since i started and ive been tanking for 3 years nealy now.

moving to key bindings is really making me strugle and i dont realise it but i end up clicking again when its getting serious ingame.

has anyone got any tips or am i destened to be a clicker for ever lol.

But seriously u can be a good tank and a clicker.......cant u?

Aggathon
11-06-2009, 06:12 PM
The trick, imo, is strafe keys and moving with your mouse. If you hold down right click, then a and d become strafe keys. This makes moving around really easy.

Bind devestate to 1, hs to 2, revenge to 3, shield slam to 4, conc blow to 5, shield block to 6, shockwave to e, trinket to q, spell reflect macro to v, commanding shout to z, thunderclap to f, last stand to F1, you can bind ~ to like Shield Wall or something like that, I actually have it bound to vigilance because I choose to click shield wall so I don't accidentally fat finger it and use it when I shouldn't. I have taunt at like 9... tbh I usually click it. I did it that way to force myself to be better at treat, etc. Zerker rage at 7, then I use shift:
Shift 1: charge
Shift 2: battle shout
Shift 3: demo south
Shift 4: bloodrage
etc. etc.

I also have WotF bound to Shift Q, Shattering Throw bound to Shift E, Mouse button 5 bound to a shield bash/pummel macro, mouse 4 bound to an "Oh Shit" button that has armor pots, healthstones, and enraged regen bound to it.

If you use your mouse buttons to move, and just force yourself to do it you can break the habit. For the first year and a half or so I played a warlock I clicked, I finally broke the habit and it made me an infinitely better player.

I bet you could be an alright tank and click. I mean... sometimes if I'm on the phone or fatting it up I'll play with one hand and just click, but if you want to be a good-great tank, I think keybinds are manditory, and I also think that goes for every class...

except warlocks in bc... they just pressed 1 button, or... just bound shadowbolt to the scroll wheel and scrolled their way to victory...

Petninja
11-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Just personal preference on keybinds: I find putting heroic strike on R makes keeping HS up considerably easier. With your index on R and your middle and ring finger moving between 1-4 you should be able to rest your hand pretty comfortably on you keyboard and spam all your tank buttons without stress. I know since I've changed to this keybind setup I haven't had any finger strain even after those 6 hour tanking runs.

Anyway, to answer the issue at hand with the thread...
Download Dominos or Bartender and start binding your keys to buttons. Start off small at first if you want, but make sure you click hide on the action bar that those buttons are on. Perhaps start with Devastate, Revenge, and Shield Slam. Go out, solo some mobs for a little bit and then get the guild to run a couple heroics with you. Humans learn exceptionally well under stress, and if you can't click devastate or SS you'll be stressed pretty quick. Eventually you can bind everything you typically use to buttons and it will just feel natural. Once it feels comfortable you can probably show your bars again.

Petninja
11-06-2009, 07:12 PM
http://images.wowstead.com/48825/13.jpg

This isn't all of my keybinds, but it gives you a good idea of how I do things (hopefully). I've been using these keybinds successfully for at least two years now. Obviously, some of the buttons themselves have changed since Heroic Throw didn't exist two years ago.

Color indicates what finger goes to what button.

A friend pointed out, things like "S+F" are shift+f, but i was running out of space. The more you know!

kingymech
11-06-2009, 11:44 PM
thanks guys great help ill give it a go right now lol

Tyrz
11-07-2009, 02:55 AM
i find the key to moving to key bindings is GIVE IT TIME! it does take about 1-2 weeks at least to get used to it..

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/41865-keybinds-you.html

^^ hope that halps :)

kingymech
11-10-2009, 01:46 AM
hmm maybe ill go the mouse way like the new naga mouse with the maccro buttons, ill give it time. Jsut had to change somthign that u have done the same way for years

robbon
11-10-2009, 05:02 AM
If you find clicking works for you and your tanking well enough..just hoe your clicking skills and use some limited key binds.

Over time you will be able to bring more key binds in.

I still use a combination of mouse/key binds and clicks using caps+another key or shift+ another key as well as another key.

just go with what works for you.