PDA

View Full Version : Protection, gemming, stats

GlassDaemon
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Protection Warrior

Okay, new, trying to tank: key word 'trying'. From the bit I've found I got that stamina, stamina, stamina, what? stamina? But do you always break socket for the Zircon Stamina gem? Or is there a time when the socket bonus over rules the stamina gain?

I ask because there was a long, lovely second on this for warlocks(my main), I found on elitistjerks.com

And what is the priority of stats, when is a stat maxed? I know the 540 defense, as one of the guides said, was a "critical minimum." But what about the other stats, how much of each should I have for just starting raids: naxx?

If a stat is not at the "max/minimum" requirement, do you gem or enchant for it first?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellscream&n=Zaierra)
There's mai lil Troll girl, feel free to giggle at me, I really don't know what I'm doing. -_-

I originally got the dragon eye defense gem cause I wanted to tank heroics, cause regular were faceroller easy and I didn't feel like I was learning anything there. Course when I got into heroics I had an "Aww, hell" moment, upon realizing I couldn't prance my way through it all like I did on my faceroller warlock. I actually seem to have to pay attention.

krc
11-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I usually just gem for stamina unless the socket bonus gives 9 or more stamina. After you get 540 defense just focus on EH(Armor and Stamina), there is only a handful of encounters in that favor anything over EH. I guess you could say that there is a EH so that you don't get insta gimped in certain encounters but there is no exact numbers.

Aggathon
11-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Get helm and shoulder enchants.

If you get Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44150) from Revered with the Argent Crusade and get the 30stam/15 resil PvP enchant to your shoulders, you will get uncrittable.

Otherwise you seem to be going in the right general direction with gems/enchants. As krc said, defense first, then go for stam, the more stam you have the higher end stuff you can tank. I don't know how much or how far you're wanting your warrior to tank, but stam is always a safe bet.

Good trinkets, that's a plus. Meta is correct too.

For gloves I'd suggest 240 armor, however using the parry/threat enchant is alright for beginners, especially if you're having threat issues.

For Boots I'd suggest switching to Tuskarr's Vitality, the utility of the runspeed is invaluable imo.

Your spec/glyphs are close to immaculate. The only thing I'd change is putting 3 points in shield spec into focused rage, but tbh that comes down to playstyle/preference. I'd also change the sunder glyph and instead get vigilance, last stand, or shield wall. The shield wall glyph goes really well with imp disciplines imo.

I'd also focus primarily now on getting a new weapon. Running HToC5 and H-UP every day can get you a very solid entry level weapon, there's also a new one I think from the Argent Tournament rep, the Axe of the SIn'jin or something.

So I'd say streamline your gemming, make a few minor adjustments and get a new weapon and you're well on your way! Things look fairly good.

Oh and for weapon enchant, mongoose is probably one of the better entry level ones but for higher end I'd suggest bladeward for avoidance or blood draining for EHP at higher levels.

GlassDaemon
11-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Ooh, wow, thanks so much for the fast and quite useful responses. ^^

You shoulda seen my weapon a couple weeks ago it was really painful to look at. O.o; though not as bad as that green ring I'm still wearing lol.

Humm, for some reason I've got the ebon blade tabard on... I can't remember why I wanted to get exalted with them, but I feel like there was something I'd planned to buy from them but for the life of me I can't remember. O.o;

I have been checking around for specs, I originally based my spec off my guilds MT, cause I don't know what I'm doing lol.