PDA

View Full Version : Turned Down For Toc10

Rominoodle
11-06-2009, 09:36 AM
So, let me first start by saying I've never been to ToC10 and I think as a tank; unless I have an achievement for the place, nobody will take me anyways...but that's not here nor there.

In my lfg channel the other day, somebody was looking for a tank for ToC10, so I whispered him and said I might be able to tank it for him. He said he would have to gear check me on the armory before inviting me, and he just stopped responding to me. After a couple of minutes I whispered him again and asked if he still needed a tank, his reply..."sorry you are not geared enough" and I got totally blown off.

Any idea why I would be turned down other then the fact that I have never been there? If that's the case how am I ever supposed to learn?? My guild isn't exactly a raiding guild, so any raiding I do is usually in a pug (which could also be my problem?) Armory is below.

Halandir
11-06-2009, 09:42 AM
The answer is simple... the guy was being unrealistic and selfish. You're geared up plenty for that raid, and anyone who says you aren't geared enough doesn't know what they're talking about. Pug's tend to be like that though, it's really tough to get into something for the first time because everyone expects to only run with people who have already cleared the place and have all the loot already.

Keep trying, and make sure you research the fights and watch the tankspot youtube videos for them so that when you DO get in a group, you can show them your skill / preparation level and squelch anyone who is critical of your gear. Also make sure you're using a stam food buff and a stoneblood flask, that helps :)

TomHuxley
11-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Your gear would let you progress through ToC 10 IMO, but PUGs usually don't want to progress, they want to roflstomp the place, so they look for overgeared players (especially tanks), and you are not overgeared for the place.

You can still get upgrades in Ulduar (either) or even a 25 man KT if you see someone looking for a tank deep in Naxx 25, so if you aren't having luck pugging into ToC try those. Lots of alts trying to gear up these days, so (on my server at least) there are usually pugs there.

Also, try to pug into Ony and VoA (10 & 25) each week; more emblems, and chances at ToC-grade drops. Keep working at it and the gear will come with time.

Satorri
11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Well, I'd assume he looked at your gear score or glanced at the fact that you have some lower item level gear, a blue trinket, and assumed you weren't prepared for the content.

I'd take that to mean he either A.) doesn't know what he's looking at for stats to tell if your gear is actually strong enough, or B.) has a high standard for what he wants to get (like expecting people in ToC10/25/Ony gear).

You can't really help what people think when they're making a pug, and there's not much sense in arguing. Sometimes you just have to accept that people are being too strict to let you in.

I suspect your stats would be sufficient to do fine, though if I were making the group, I'd be anxious not that you hadn't cleared ToC, but that you had only recently cleared Naxx (meaning you hadn't run it much before if at all), and that you had not cleared the keepers in Ulduar. Those things speak to experience on that character (which of course is the only thing he has to go on).

I'd keep at it, and if all else fails, you can always make a pug for it yourself, and get some recorded experience in there to persuade the next guy who is asking for a tank.

Durandro
11-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Basically, all (or rather, most of) your gear is Emblem bought or crafted. This really puts people off.

34k hp is technically enough. But PUGs don't want enough. They want an easy ride.

A solution is, sadly to do Ulduar and get a better weapon and shield. That alone will make you look more attractive to puggers. Or at least get a weapon from ToC5.

It's harsh, but that's what PUGs are like. Such snobbery doesn't apply to healers or dps, usually.

Rominoodle
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I suspect your stats would be sufficient to do fine, though if I were making the group, I'd be anxious not that you hadn't cleared ToC, but that you had only recently cleared Naxx (meaning you hadn't run it much before if at all), and that you had not cleared the keepers in Ulduar. Those things speak to experience on that character (which of course is the only thing he has to go on).

I sort of agree with you on this point, however the only reason I did naxx was to help a bunch of friends and their alts. I have run through ulduar, however they called it a night right after killing Freya trash so I didn't get the achievement for a complete (reset was next day). I guess it is hard proving that you can be a competent tank while still lacking the experience for things.

Example...I went into Ulduar my first time and our MT disconnected as soon as the Blue Dragon (forgot the name!) dropped down, so I immediately had to step in and pick up the slack. There was a fury warrior that swapped to sword and board to help me with the taunts, however my point is I know and can adapt to situations with never being there before. I also know that most of my gear is badge / crafted meaning that I spend most of my time in heroics, and grinding mats but again it's because I don't have a guild capable of raiding. I've done plenty of raids in my time and I know how to do my job as a tank, regardless if the situation is new to me or not.

Squirrelnut
11-06-2009, 11:32 AM
A little off topic but just something else to mention: confidence

If you whispered some pug raid leader saying "I could try to tank it" it definitely gives the impression that you aren't really a tank and when combined with an armory of bought/crafted gear it makes a raid leader a bit worried about bringing you.

If on the other hand you let someone know that you are happy to tank for them and can easily handle your business they are much more likely to simply invite. Confidence takes you a long way (both in-game and out :D)