PDA

View Full Version : Druid or Warrior?

Darkness
11-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I am looking to roll a new tanking class, I currently have a death knight. The other tank that I usually raid with is a paladin. So I was thinking of rolling a druid or warrior. I dont really follow either class on the forums and such and I'm wondering which one is the best over all tank. I will most likely be tanking bosses and letting my friend pick up adds and do more of the aoe. Any advice?

Xzanthos
11-06-2009, 01:44 AM
From what I've read here on TankSpot, all the tanks are relatively equal. Shieldblock from Warriors and Paladins makes more of a difference when tanking multiple mobs with smaller hits.

I think it really boils down to which playstyle you prefer. Take a look at their skills and see which appeal to you more. Personally, I really like the Warrior mechanics, I played one back Pre-TBC and really enjoyed it then. The only reason I play a DK now is he was already level 80 when I decided I wanted to tank :P

Bear tanks will have a higher HP pool than a Warrior will with similar gear. Warriors have shield block/critical block though.

Not sure if offspecs are going to play any part, but Druid can play all three roles, tank/dps/healer, where the Warrior can only fill two.

Both are relatively easy to level (not that leveling is difficult with any class), with the edge going to the Druid I believe as Feral.

If the other tank you raid with is a Paladin, it's it's likely to stay that way, you could go Druid that way you're not competing for tank weapons/shields/plate etc, I'm sure they'd appreciate that ;)

In the end, it just boils down to which playstyle appeals to you more.

Hope this helps.

Bludzooka
11-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Having played and raided with both I'll just list some of the pros and cons that I've taken from each class.

Druid: Pros
-You can tank basically in what feral gear you pick up all the way up through heroics. And never have to worry about reaching uncrittable (I know this won't be a big deal with the next expansion).
-Swipe has been very effective aoe threat generator. It's a little simpler style of tanking in terms of how many buttons you really use.
-Also this doesn't have so much to do with tanking but druid does get some perks such as travel form and free flight form at 68 (well from trainer but it doesn't cost 1,000 gold).
-You can serve any role with a respec.
-If you roll druid I recommend herb and skin (you can gather both in animal form including bird form) Finally as a feral even in bear spec you do pretty good dps in cat form while questing and even running 5 mans.

Cons
Sometimes tanking feels kind of basic and you don't have some of the bells and whistles the Warrior has.

Warrior- Pros
-You have bells and whistles, what I mean is things like shield block, sheild bash, spell reflect, disarm. When I use my warrior I find it grattifying to use these abilities and do it at the right times.
-The rotation keeps you on your toes a little watching for things such as Revenge and Sword and Board on top of using your bells and whistles.

Cons-My dps is much higher with the druid compared to warrior, sometimes I throw my kittie gear on and tank heroics and the dps is quite high.

I've found it challenging to keep aoe threat compared to the druid. I have reached the point where it's not as much of a problem as it was.

Dreg
11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
having extensivly played both personally.

warriors, bit harder rotation, more abilities (charge and intervine and such) make you feel more mobile. a lot of situational tools most of which are hardly useful (ie spell reflect) but can be very nice when they actually work.

Bears, very simple rotation, gearings a bit harder imo, a LOT less information is available. some nice tools such as battle rez and group buffs. the easier rotation allows you to focus on other things if you're more of an active leader.

Darkness
11-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! I think ima go with the warrior, I have a dk and tanking is pretty bland on him since i stick with the same rotation over and over and warrior seems to mix it up a little more.

Squirrelnut
11-06-2009, 09:53 AM
noooooooooo bliz buffs classes based on statistics of people playing them. 2 many warriors, go be a druid :P

Achillezbak
11-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah :/ to many BAD warriors :(