PDA

View Full Version : what gyphs should a pally tank use

kc-killa
11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
title please post which ones and why please

Synapse
11-05-2009, 08:53 AM
The only one that screams Mandatory is Divine Plea.

Adanel
11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Divine Plea - 3% is a no brainer
Taunt - if you don't want your other tank getting a sinle hit after that impale it's usefull, you can pass on this if you find using your other taunt after a miss more often acceptable.
Salvation - 20% for 10s, if you have enough lead in aggro in fights you wish you had another CD this is great.
SoV - "Expertise is about 75% as effective as dodge rating for reducing incoming damage" from Maintankadin • View topic - Calculating the avoidance value of expertise (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=25611&rb_v=viewtopic) also if you'rent at soft cap it's decent threat also.
Avengers / Judgement - Threat options.

kc-killa
11-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Divine Plea - 3% is a no brainer
Taunt - if you don't want your other tank getting a sinle hit after that impale it's usefull, you can pass on this if you find using your other taunt after a miss more often acceptable.
Salvation - 20% for 10s, if you have enough lead in aggro in fights you wish you had another CD this is great.
SoV - "Expertise is about 75% as effective as dodge rating for reducing incoming damage" from Maintankadin • View topic - Calculating the avoidance value of expertise (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=25611&rb_v=viewtopic) also if you'rent at soft cap it's decent threat also.
Avengers / Judgement - Threat options.
what is sov? and what taunt glyph?

Unfurth
11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
SoV is Seal of Vengence, the primary tanking seal.
Glyph of Seal of Vengence and Glyph of Righteous Defense are the names of the glyphs.

Also, based on your current armory, i'd swap out the consecration glyph for glyph of Divine Plea, its the only truly manditory tanking glyph.

Synapse
11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Plus, consecration glyph *breaks* tankadins.

kc-killa
11-05-2009, 01:06 PM
ya I'm going to do that when i get home from work and scene undead also i see a lot of pally tanks using it

Synapse
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
minor glyphs are a rather bothersome issue: There aren't enough useful minor glyphs. One of them shaves off 5 minutes from LoH's CD: Good
the other is 1% more damage against undead while you have sense undead active: good
the other is...half mana cost for kings? 30 minutes selfcast wisdom?half mana cost for Seal of Wisdom? The third glyph doesn't have any use for a tankadin.

Tazlex
11-05-2009, 01:16 PM
The typical major glyphs used (as already mentioned) are Judgement, Divine Plea, and Seal of Vengeance. Last two I would say are pretty much standard, unless you are overflowing in expertise and could lose some. Judgement helps your threat, but if you are not having any issues with threat or mitigation. Salvation isn't a bad choice.

For your last Minor Glyph, I would recommend Sense Undead, and Blessing of Kings instead of Might. Little bit less mana used. D:

Edit: Gah, didn't refresh to see Synapses post.

Edit 2.0: Looking at your talents. Should have only one point in Improved Judgements. Having two points screws with the Tankadin rotation of 969. Just a couple suggestions on talents. Would say Divine Sacrifice and Divine Guardian are rather nice talents to have, especially useful for when OTing some fights (Anub'arak 3rd Phase maybe, XT's Tantrums. Just examples)

Insahnity
11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
minor glyphs are a rather bothersome issue: There aren't enough useful minor glyphs. One of them shaves off 5 minutes from LoH's CD: Good
the other is 1% more damage against undead while you have sense undead active: good
the other is...half mana cost for kings? 30 minutes selfcast wisdom?half mana cost for Seal of Wisdom? The third glyph doesn't have any use for a tankadin.

Minors
5 min off LoH - Good
1% extra damage to undead - Good for nax (and maybe IceCrown)
Half Mana cost for Kings - Bad. Go get your raid's mage to pee in some bottles, or buy water before the raid.
30 Minute selfcast BoW - Good for holydins only. Wish there was a similar minor for BoSanc
Half Cost for Seal of wisdom - HELL YES, using less mana is always desirable (even for tankadins). While it becomes trivial in infinite mana situations for tankadins, you aren't always in that boat, to say nothing of holydins and retadins.

Majors
Divine Plea - Must or go roll another toon
Seal of Vengeance - Good, My second choice for mandatory and usefull all around.
Your last spot should be changed for every encounter. Hand of Reckoning for when you need to taunt in a boss fight, another Threat glyph for threat fights, or a Cooldown buffing glyph for hardmodes or heavy damage fights.

Synapse
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Half Cost for Seal of wisdom - HELL YES, using less mana is always desirable (even for tankadins). While it becomes trivial in infinite mana situations for tankadins, you aren't always in that boat, to say nothing of holydins and retadins.

We were talking tankadins here, were we not?
Divine plea + Sanctuary + More than 1 monster attacking = lol who needs mana.

Mert
11-06-2009, 03:35 AM
TShould have only one point in Improved Judgements. Having two points screws with the Tankadin rotation of 969.

Just for clarity, it doesn't screw with the rotation, it just doesn't add anything. Regardless of whether you have Judgements at 8 seconds or 9 seconds, you can still only cast Judgement every six GCDs (9 seconds) so getting it down to 8 is "wasted".

Having it (or Consecration) at 10 seconds screws with it as you could then only cast it every 6.66r GCDs, causing a threat loss while you wait for the cooldown. Having anything at 8 seconds makes no difference and neither helps nor hinders the rotation.

Synapse
11-06-2009, 03:39 AM
What Mert said. My usage for 8s Judgments is on mob pickups, basically. There you don't really keep the rotation for more than 4 or 5 gcds.