PDA

View Full Version : No Shave November

Aggathon
11-04-2009, 06:45 PM
I thought I'd post something with a lighter note.

I'm currently participating in No Shave November, is anyone else? Also: does anyone have any agreed upon rules? Is trimming okay? Can you shave your neck beard for social occasions? Or do you have to let your facial hair run wild and rampant? So far I'm going with the last option but my lower neck beared is getting insane, it looks like a small rodent died under my chin and I feel like I should groom it a bit before going to my grandmother's 86th birthday party where half of my family will be going to a nice resteraunt.

Ciderhelm
11-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Or do you have to let your facial hair run wild and rampant? So far I'm going with the last option but my lower neck beared is getting insane, it looks like a small rodent died under my chin and I feel like I should groom it a bit before going to my grandmother's 86th birthday party where half of my family will be going to a nice resteraunt.
It's November 4th. If your beard has reached this status in four days then you are a man among boys, an inspiration to every neckbearder in the world.

drae
11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I am considering it, but I'm to lazy to collect donations, even for a good cause (prostate cancer iirc).

Maybe Aggathon started early? Or he's cheating and using rogain!

I'll go crazy if I can't at least shave the neck beard... sooo itchy.

Edit: After googling it I see many references to Movember, a mustache growing thing to raise money for prostate cancer.. maybe you can shave the neck beard Aggathon!

Movember Worldwide - Home (http://www.movember.com) -- GOGO TOM SELLECK!

Aggathon
11-04-2009, 08:10 PM
It's November 4th. If your beard has reached this status in four days then you are a man among boys, an inspiration to every neckbearder in the world.

Well my friends and I shaved October 31st, since it's No Shave NOVEMBER, you can't shave november 1st!!! It's NOVEMBER!!! So it's basically 5 days, and it's not like... Zach Galifianakis bad or anything, but it does look... sloppy. Maybe like a small rodent with mange died under my chin.

And I am 21... so I'd hardly say I'm a boy...

Ciderhelm
11-04-2009, 08:11 PM
And I am 21... so I'd hardly say I'm a boy...
Just a phrase! Like "Giant among men." I meant other men are boys compared to you, not that you are a boy being compared to others. :)

Fusik
11-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I did this last year and it was insane! Plus I am Italian, so it helps alot! This year though my kitchen isn't participating and I am a Night Sous Chef, so I am pretty much out of luck and gotta stay clean and professional! Good luck to all who participate though.

drae
11-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I think Cider was calling everyone else boys if you can grow rodent levels of fur under your chin in 4 days.

After some more research "No Shave November" is a separate idea from Movember. The former is more of a protest or movement gaining popularity among young adult males, while the former is actually a charitable deal similar similar to the pink ribbon thingy.

Aggathon
11-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Lol, it's all good.

Also: I didn't know people collected donations for it, me and my friends just kinda decided to go for it.

I got one starting to puss out already, he says his beard gets patchy and doesn't connect all the way down. He says it kinda looks like someone patched pubic hair on his face.

drae
11-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Ya there actually is a foundation set-up for collecting donations, apparently movember started in Australia and has spread across the world.

No Shave November kinda morphed out of Movember.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November) : It is quite common for some males in Australia (especially in the city of Melbourne), and New Zealand to sport a moustache during the month of November. The custom being known as Movember (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movember) (Movember is a portmanteau of the words 'Moustache' and 'November'.), and being a fundraising event for men's health issues. One's fashionable appearance often comes second to the calling of Movember. A similar observance in the United States and Canada, called Novembeard or No Shave November, involves a full beard as opposed to a mustache.

Aggathon
11-09-2009, 07:20 PM
My mustache is at that phase where most teenagers kinda figure out they should start shaving, why does my 'stache grow so much slower?