PDA

View Full Version : [Bear] Need spec refinement advice

Corrin
11-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Here is my armory link
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&n=Solidan

This toon is strictly a 10-man tank. In my 10-man, I run with a prot paladin as the other tank. We often switch up so we both get experience on the encounters.

My issue is this. There are a handful of bosses where you really only need 1.5 tanks. Onyxia, XT, Kologarn, and Freya come to mind. In those fights, the prot pally will be the main tank and I will off-tank and then go cat for the non-tanking part of the fight.

I have a few talent points that I can move around to improve my cat dps without hurting my main tanking. I also realize that given that I will be dpsing in tanking gear, my dps will not be stellar but I would like to see it improve if possible. And I wanted some advice on which choices might be better.

As I see it, the 2 points in FA are strictly filler and can be freely moved. I am willing to consider moving points from Imp LotP or Infected Wounds but only for a significant gain in dps without a significant loss to tanking.

So, where is better for those 2+ points to improve cat dps while in bear gear? Shredding Attacks? King of the Jungle? Master Shapeshifter?

I am leaning towards 2/3 KotJ but I just don't know enough to say for sure.

Bovinity
11-04-2009, 06:47 AM
The problem is that there are just so many differences in cat and bear specs, at least in my opinion.

For example, I make it a personal rule to ALWAYS run with 3/3 IW and 5/5 FA. That leaves really no leeway with which to grab kitty DPS talents. You said that the Paladin is generally the main tank though, so perhaps those are already covered from other raid members.

If that is the case, then the first thing I would look at getting is KotJ. As someone with a full-time cat spec as well as his bear spec, KotJ is the first thing I miss when trying to DPS in my bear spec. Maybe on paper it's not the biggest DPS boost, I don't know for sure, but I do know that I miss it *terribly*. Perhaps move 2 from FA and 1 from Imp. LotP to get it.

That alone should net you a cat boost without gimping your tanking.

Personally, I see Master Shapeshifter as being just too much of a sacrifice in a bear build. I wouldn't go there at all.

That does leave the question of Shredding Attacks. I really don't try to use Shred much when I'm going kitty in my bear spec, which is why I didn't really address taking points out of Improved Mangle in your spec. But if you did want to go that route, it'd be an easy swap from 2 FA -> 2 SA and 3 IM -> 3 KotJ.

But I wouldn't go that route personally. I'd just try to get KotJ and leave it at that.

Bashal
11-04-2009, 07:18 AM
My suggestion would be:

Go full on bear-tank spec, wear kitty dps gear when only 1 tank is needed, and live with the lower than optimal dps.

Bovinity
11-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Yeah, Bashals' solution is what I pretty much do. (largely due to my insistence upon having IW and FA maxed) But I also don't care about my cat DPS at all when I'm tanking, so my way might not be for you. =)

Corrin
11-04-2009, 07:39 AM
I should have been more clear in that I always have a ret paladin as well. So, Vindication overwrites my Demo Roar anyway. And I think the prot pally has vindication as well. That is why I feel the 2 points in FA are throw away points.

I would never want to be in cat gear to tank anything. One, I don't really have any cat gear. And the dual use gear I do have is gemmed for bear anyway :)

I think I will get KotJ then. Either 2 or 3 points. At least it can be a threat boost in bear sometimes so it supports both roles a little.

Thanks for the help!

geros
11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Shredding Attacks will get you more DPS than 2/3 KotJ. Toskk's is telling me it's a difference of ~20 DPS. If you've got enough pallies for light to be judged on the target, consider dropping iLotP and going 2/2 shredding and 2/3 KotJ.

Bashal
11-04-2009, 08:13 AM
I would never want to be in cat gear to tank anything. One, I don't really have any cat gear. And the dual use gear I do have is gemmed for bear anyway :)

Ah, I didn't mean tank in cat gear. Obviously for fights where you are switching roles midway, all you could reasonably do is pop into cat form.

There are a few fights though where you really only need one tank the whole way through though, so a kitty set would be helpful to you. Not absolutely necessary though, of course.

Corrin
11-04-2009, 08:52 AM
For those fights where we only need one tank anyway, I have a Moonkin spec. I am more comfortable as a caster for dps.

But obviously that doesn't work for the few 1.5 tank fights.

Thanks all for the advice!