PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to WoW, looking for some advice

gherrick0918
11-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi guys. I am just coming back to WoW now after a really long abscence. Back a few years ago, I ended up deleting my characters and giving the empty account to a friend, so I really dont' ahve hobe of restoration.

Back when the cap was 60, I had a 60 warrior. Probably (aka, definitely :)) undergeared a bit and just starting to get into highish tanking. I probably wasn't the greatest, but I had a few people tell me I did well for the gear I had...good enough for me :-).

Anyway, I just want to ask a few questions here if that's ok before I take a character from 1 to 80. I definitely want to go with a plate-wearing weapon weilder, and unfortunately i don't have a 55+ so DK is not an option.

I was all set here to jump back on warrior. Kind of eager to come back to what I spent some time on before and I love the look of Titan's grip. Just a few questions here first.

1. How is the tanking? Difficult?

2. When not tanking, is the warrior brand of DPS fun?

3. Probably only going to have this character until the next hero class comes out (whenever that is), you guys think warrior is fun main?

4. Lastly, should I consider paladin at all? I had a brief thought about missing a little casting/healing, but I would guess the next hero class would be some sort of caster...good alt to and break from the warrior if need be.

Thanks guys. Sorry if I'm buggin ya.

Fealthas
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Currently Warrior tanking is painful... not exactly difficult. Havent dpsed on a warrior since dual wielding 1hs in BC >.< but our DPS warriors seem to enjoy it (except they all seem to not like arms). I cant answer about warrior being a fun main since mine is now an inactive alt so sorry there :( . And pallies are face roll to level, but Ive been told they're about as many buttons to play at 80 as a warrior so it all really depends on what you feel like doing :)

Welcome back and I hope you enjoy yourself :)

Bashal
11-03-2009, 10:04 AM
1) Depends on who you ask. I hear people say that warrior tanks are the most complicated. There is also some debate about whether warrior tanks are inferior to paladin tanks specifically. In practical terms, any tank class can clear the content, but it is more challenging to do it as a warrior; at least, that seems to be the general consensus.

2) Warrior dps is indeed fun.

3) Well which class is "funnest" really is a matter of personal preference. You might also want to consider a paladin. Ret paladins have great dps, and also make very good tanks (I understand this was not the case in vanilla wow, so you may have disregarded them as an option out-of-hand).

4) see (3) above. ;)

gherrick0918
11-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to go with the warrior for sure. Too tempting to go back and (attempt to) master what I once had.

If it's ok to ask here, is fury leveling decent? Titan's Grip...I just think it's cool and something I want to use. I always found it was better for me to get used to as much as I could leveling that I was going to be using later. I've just heard a few things about inefficiency and wanted to check quickly.

Fealthas
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I know my friend's wife is leveling her warrior as Fury, she's now... 73? but to be fair, we carried her through T6 raids to get her 5/8 pieces and weapons

Bashal
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm currently leveling a warrior as arms (2-handed). Once I get high enough level to get all the way down into fury for titan's grip, that's when I would consider switching.

But either route will probably do you fine. :)

MellvarTank
11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
1) See Bashal's answer. It really depends on the player. I think tanking well on any class is difficult, and survivability is the topic of discussion most recently. I will mention this though: I have seen warriors go down as fast as mages, and others outlast paladins. I strongly believe it is the player.

2) You have 2 options for DPS: Fury or Arms. Arms is rotation based, Fury looks cool and is a little more "free" in terms of rotation. It tends to be more of a "priority" thing than a set rotation. I prefer Fury, but it depends on how you want to play.

3) See Bashal's answer again. Also, don't get too hung up on the "hero" classes. There are some fantastic options that aren't "hero" classes that are just as effective. Be sure not to limit yourself.

4) Paladin's are so incredibly different from Vanilla WoW. If you want to try it, be sure to run with it until around 60 before you give up on it. The class has some definite advantages in terms of tanking and dps that can suit your play style if a warrior isn't quite what you are looking for.

MellvarTank
11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Fury is gear dependant to really push great numbers, but I think you could easily level a fury warrior.

gherrick0918
11-03-2009, 10:33 AM
The hero class comment was from the stand point of probably not wanting to do another 1-80 after this one. Even if I had the DK option right now, I probably wouldn't go there :-).

I'll more than likely level fury just to get used to some of the things. From what I hear about how 1 to 60 is now anyway, it wouldn't take long to get to the point of titan's grip anyway.

Either case can't be worse than when I leveled the old warrior as protection in vanilla WoW...that took forever :)

Hades
11-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I tried leveling a warrior as prot recently, and it was working kinda ok, but I ended up server transferring and abandoning the poor guy. Leveling a pally, until you get pretty high (Like 40 or so, maybe even 60) from my experience has been summed up as "White damage wit judgements and consecrates to supplement, and exorcism when not on CD". That was at level 33. A good pally tank, in the words of my resto druid wife, are "OMG so easy to keep up!" because of their self-healing abilities, and the fact that they mitigate a ridiculous amount of damage through Blessing of Sanctuary. However, my guild's main tank is a prot warrior. Dude's GREAT, easy to keep up for the healers, but about the only thing he doesn't kite around a little is dragons. It all depends on what you want to do with your time, in the long run. Btw, once you get a toon to 80, try a DK. Despite all the bashing that comes with the class (Nothing personal. It's all aimed at the class until you say something back lol) they're incredibly fun to play, and much more complicated imo than your average "big guy with big axe/hammer/sword/spear" due to the rune system. However, their runic power works like rage so that's kinda cool; fuel for extra firepower! Anyway, good luck!

gherrick0918
11-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi guys. I just wanted to give a quick update here. I haven't been able to play the past few days, so I've done a little thinking. Warrior just doens't quite provide all the options I'd like to have. If I had my old 60, that'd be a different story, but I don't. Facing possibly starting at 1, that's just not the route I want to go.

I talked to blizzard and was able to have an old mage I had restored. I don't really intend on playing the guy (being squishy was never quite for me), but it opens up dk as an option.

In the interest of versatility, paladins are the way to go for me, but dk does get the level jumpstart and has some fun options.

My question is, if I were to go with a paladin, do you guys seen any chance of getting from 1 to 80 before the next expansion is out?

Bashal
11-04-2009, 07:10 AM
I have successfully leveled alts, during this expansion, from 1 to 80 in about 5 days of /played. That was using 2 Bind on Account pieces, though, which adds 20% experience gained. As you would be doing without that leg up, I'd say more like 7 days of /played to hit 80, especially if you used a leveling guide or a mod like QuestHelper to help you complete quests.

Even if you take a more relaxed attitude towards leveling, because of the nerf to the amount of XP you need to level, and a slight buff to XP received from turning in quests, plus the additional quest hubs added to theramore/mudsprocket, getting mounts at level 20 and 40 instead of 40 and 60, and woot! being able to fly as soon as you hit 60 in outlands, I think you could easily still hit the level cap before the next expansion.

Xianth
11-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I'd dare to venture that the prot warrior is one of the most interesting and challenging tanking classes to play: high mobility, numerous control tools (stuns/silences), varying suvival cooldowns, interesting gear choices and fairly dynamic threat rotations.

I can't say much for any of the other specs though, I don't really enjoy DPSing on a warrior myself.

gherrick0918
11-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm going to go ahead and roll with the paladin. Thanks guys.