PDA

View Full Version : Prot Pally always looking for advice

Ichibod
11-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Here is my armory:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Proudmoore&n=Ichibod)

Currently running as OT/MT for ToC 25s and ToGC 25s (although we are still working on Heroic) and same thing for ToC 10 and H ToC 10.

I know, the boots suck but have yet to see the upgrades drop for me. My survivability is good, healers say I am pretty easy to keep alive, but whatever I can do to become better and make my raids better would be good.

Fetzie
11-03-2009, 12:42 AM
To tide you over until the dawnbreaker sabatons (or whatever the tank boots from jaraxxus 25 on alliance are called) you could get the Spiked Deathdealers - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45560) built. Otherwise, given that you are stacking stamina in every slot, why did you take a dodge/stamina gem in the neck juwellery, given that it only has a 4 dodge rating socket bonus? I would have used a pure stamina gem (in fact I do).

as for talent choices; you have taken 2/2 SA and 5/5 divinity. I have run with 1/2 SA since it became a talent in the current form and only have trouble with vezax hardmode (although the extra mana from 2/2 probably wouldnt cut it anyway). 5/5 divinity is a less optimal choice, while 5% more healing taken sound useful, it will only really apply to hots, as direct heals tend to be 40-80% overheal. This means that out of the 5% extra healing you are only profiting from perhaps 2%, the rest is overheal and, as such, is wasted.

these 6 talent points could, however, be spent elsewhere in a more useful fashion:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin#faNrqWY6X1gV1,,10676 is how I have spent my talents for tanking.

Everything except northrend beasts is humanoid, UD, demon or elemental (and I think gormok and the yeti are humanoid), so you are skilling 6% more damage (about 14% more threat according to my napkin maths), 15% run speed and a passive demo shout as a tradeoff for overheal and too much mana for you to use.

The three points in reckoning are simply a filler, they can be placed in Imp. HoJ if you like the shorter CD interrupt.

Haargielol
11-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Well, i may disagree with you on the reckoning part.
Reckoning is indeed just a filler and the talent has been made worse and worse over the patches.
Imp. HoJ would also just mean shorter cooldown, which still would be too long to drag in a interruption rotation.
Although, i would advice you to take the 3 points out of Reckoning and put them in Divine Sacrifice + Divine Guardian.
I personally find the Divine Sacrifice talent very usefull. It's a raid cooldown like no other i can think of.
The 40% less dmg taken to a party is alot. This would ofcourse mean a kill if you were to use it while tanking any raid boss i think.
Therefore you need to use this at times where it could be needed & ofc. time it with bubble.
When you are bubbled you take the dmg but then again the dmg input is just 0 since you are immune to all damage.
I find this Talent very useful especially if you have more than one paladin specced with it.
Personally i have all my paladins specced with it, so we can chain use it. Let's say Massive Crash from Icehowl at ToGC 25 - This hits hard and when we chain the 3 massive Crash he does, we take alot less dmg.
Correct me in anything if i'm wrong.

- Haargielol

Fetzie
11-03-2009, 07:32 AM
I tend to be main tanking stuff so I never really have a chance to use DSac, so I take the minimal threat increase from Reckoning instead, and leave interrupting to those that have a proper interrupt like warriors, mages, deathknights, rogues or shamans.

Mert
11-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Both Divine Sacrifice and Improved Hammer of Justice can come in handy for Heroic Faction Champions, which may be worth considering. HoJ isn't a reliable interrupt (I'd far sooner have it stay at 50 seconds and have 2/2 ImpHoJ make it off GCD) but it is still a strong stun for that fight.

As for DS, I understand why you might not use Raid Wall that often but the fact that there exists a talent that can make the entire raid invulnerable for 10 seconds means I struggle not to take it, even with its use being highly situational.

Akeber
11-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Drop the glyhed HotR for the glyph of SoV. Since the changes to judgement and SoV expertice is now a good mitigation and threat stat for paladins. 10 Expertice skill from a glyph is just too good to pass up.

The better purple gem for paladins to use is Agil+Stam, we get a very good agil to dodge conversion (better than DKs and warriors) and agil scales with kings.

Haargielol
11-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Pyrea i see what you mean about Mt'ing stuff in ToGC, so am i. But i still find a situation in every encounter in there where i can use Divine Sacrifice. It's all about timing it.

Kajllersyn
11-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Change your enchant from back to 225 armor (more usefull in TotGC)
Get better weapon from TotGC 10 tribute or anub'arak and then get Blood Draining/Blood Ward on it.
Try to get stamina trinket from champions 25man
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=0000000000000000000000000005005135203102311333 31232150230030200300000000000000)
try that build for MT'ing.

jere
11-09-2009, 08:26 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=0000000000000000000000000005005135203102311333 31232150230030200300000000000000)
try that build for MT'ing.

Actually, he should put points into vindication in an MT build. Skipping that for either points in PoJ or Conviction is a bad move. You can still get PoJ if you want, but get Vindication.

Zothor
11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Well, i may disagree with you on the reckoning part.
Reckoning is indeed just a filler and the talent has been made worse and worse over the patches.
Imp. HoJ would also just mean shorter cooldown, which still would be too long to drag in a interruption rotation.
Although, i would advice you to take the 3 points out of Reckoning and put them in Divine Sacrifice + Divine Guardian.
I personally find the Divine Sacrifice talent very usefull. It's a raid cooldown like no other i can think of.
The 40% less dmg taken to a party is alot. This would ofcourse mean a kill if you were to use it while tanking any raid boss i think.
Therefore you need to use this at times where it could be needed & ofc. time it with bubble.
When you are bubbled you take the dmg but then again the dmg input is just 0 since you are immune to all damage.
I find this Talent very useful especially if you have more than one paladin specced with it.
Personally i have all my paladins specced with it, so we can chain use it. Let's say Massive Crash from Icehowl at ToGC 25 - This hits hard and when we chain the 3 massive Crash he does, we take alot less dmg.
Correct me in anything if i'm wrong.

- Haargielol

On a side note in the "correct me in anything if I'm wrong" subject, it's worth noting that reckoning is as good right now as it's EVER been for tanking as long as paladins have actually been viable tanks. it's jsut always been pretty bad. But with the change to Seal of Vengeance to add on-swing damage, the extra swings are a minor, but real amount of threat. It's still the least valuable of all of our threat talents, but 3/5 reckoning with your 3 flex points in prot is no longer a total throw away.

I still agree with most paladins that DS/Imp HoJ, or DS/DG is significantly more valuable if you use your whole toolbox. Divine Sacrifice does something no other classes can do, and is extraordinarily valuable in a few places if you use it creatively. For one talent point... I personally can't understand why anyone wouldn't take it.