PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Marmot & Introducing Aliena

Ciderhelm
11-02-2009, 11:21 AM
N_dQNNlsSvE

0dQzB9Ubiw8
(http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/36281-tankspot-donation-information.html)

Halandir
11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
woot! looking foward to the weekly marmot :P

Ciderhelm
11-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Introducing Aliena is up! About ~45 minutes for Weekly Marmot #2!

Tendo
11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
For some reason, Aliena, your voice sounds more... natural... than in your other videos. Probably a different recorder. But either way, I appreciate your videos! I've never played a healer, so it's very helpful to learn about people keeping me up as I'm taking 30k hits! Also, the little things you do in your Holy priest video (background and location, pets, funny little things with your toon) makes a video of boring content (talent tree commentary) entertaining to watch!

Squirrelnut
11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Good stuff, hopefully some of our guild healers will emulate your UI to make things easier on themselves :)

Doc309
11-02-2009, 12:30 PM
as an american, who can order a beer in 5 languages, currently living in germany ...
i wouldv'e guessed new zealand for your accent...

LOL

german/canadian accent????? WTH....

Doc,

btw check out Vuhdoas a tool to use v. grid...

Lilie
11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
"This is why you lost Warsong Gulch."

I loled.

Ciderhelm
11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Lore's movie is up now!

Nidhish
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Gotta say, I enjoyed both elves's videos! :P Aliena's accent ftw!

P.S.: That's just a shot in the dark, but is there any chance of getting a link to buy/dl that "The lips of the sun"-by-Mystic Age track (Lore's video)?

Ciderhelm
11-02-2009, 02:06 PM
P.S.: That's just a shot in the dark, but is there any chance of getting a link to buy/dl that "The lips of the sun"-by-Mystic Age track (Lore's video)?
We'd love to but it would violate our license. :(

Doc309
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Lore,

should have been a beer in that stein. not apparently coffee.
and yes you are pale and kinda creepy...

lol

Doc.

Edgar
11-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Three Point Lightning could help with the paleness, but it's kinda hard to set up if you don't have real lights.

And Aliena's hear looks much darker than on the twitter pictures. Go Germany though!

Edgar
11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Introduce Splug now! I wanna put a face to that dark creepy voice.

Baelor
11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
@Lore
Utopia sounds like its a pretty heavy memory usage add-on. Do you know how much it pulls while active in a raid?

Lore
11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
@Lore
Utopia sounds like its a pretty heavy memory usage add-on. Do you know how much it pulls while active in a raid?

Not sure. It doesn't seem like a lot.

Airowird
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I wonder how much fanmail Aliena is going to get now that her face has been on the front page of tankspot :P

More on topic, it's a very good example of a clean and decent healer UI. Well explained as well. Only thing you missed was a scrolling Combat Text addon, I believe.

The Icewell Radiance explenation was pretty clear as well. Visual aid FTW :)

Already awaiting the next episode.

Ciruss
11-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Good job, like the new one.. was a bit confused on the Chill of the Throne ability (Never tanked sunwell) I find it interesting how your eye brow goes up like your staring at someone that just hit you.

Turelliax
11-02-2009, 03:55 PM

I he isn't Snape... i am going to be highly disappointed.

Khue
11-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Weekly content is definitely awesome. Loading this onto a pda and taking it to go adds value to the Donor's section. Keep up the good work! Thanks!

Ariedan
11-02-2009, 04:55 PM
This is way better than podcasts, even.

Petninja
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
@Lore

Everything I've seen from it shows it to be low cpu, low memory, and undesirable to live without after using it for a while. I believe Auricle does a similar thing as well, though it also gives alternative buffs that compete with a given buff, and fades out buffs that you don't have so you know what to get. It's marginally useful for Joe Raider, and quite handy for a raid leader who is stacking buffs and keeping eyes on things like that.

Bragoon
11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
WTB introducing ciderhelm? :D

Ess
11-02-2009, 09:17 PM
You've been outbid on Introducing Ciderhelm.

Erzan
11-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Great Videos Lore and Aliena.

I totally agree with you Lore. I also think it may even increase our survivability, especially well geared tanks.

I notice that because I have so much avoidance, I don't get spammed heals to avoid overhealing like I was used to in Vanilla and in BC, because I avoid more than I take, however like you said, 2 hits from a rough hitting boss like the new Onyxia or Heroic Gormok and *SPLAT*. Whereas when I die, tanks that have 5-8% less avoidance, less armor, and 4-7K less health than me are easier to keep up, because they are being spammed the entire fight with heals.

I'm eager to see if this change will give us more consistent heals and me as a warrior, less rage starving.

kavidius
11-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Its weird, I despise pure avoidance gear (you know the type, its got defense, dodge and parry on it, I only have 2 bits, belt and warrior tier gloves, or trinkets with passive dodge/parry) and yet my avoidance is around 60% unbuffed.

I understand the reason to lower it, but I just wish they would give us something in return like a dmg buff (particularly prot warriors).

Erzan
11-02-2009, 11:01 PM
That's the thing, this lack of avoidance and more consistent rage generation should increase our DPS and there-in our TPS. At least, that's what I'm hoping to see with this.

Balutix
11-02-2009, 11:43 PM
/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4

'eres the macro i use to get my camera maxed out

Wani
11-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Can I suggest using Windows Movie Maker or something like that to put a little textover when you're giving the names of addons to just have a written name on the screen? Save you the trouble of spelling it out.

Rino
11-03-2009, 04:52 AM
@Lore/others:

you were talking about the -20% dodge. will this me a bigger factor for druids? or it the -20% of your current dodge? or the hard example "50%-20% = 30%"

never played sunwell so bit new to me

Ortrar
11-03-2009, 05:12 AM
@Lore/others:

you were talking about the -20% dodge. will this me a bigger factor for druids? or it the -20% of your current dodge? or the hard example "50%-20% = 30%"

never played sunwell so bit new to me

Well, the dodge "debuff" will take place after dim. returns, so if your druid has 50% dodge after diminishing returns, then you would end up at 30%.

But in terms of impact, it actually has less of an impact on druids, since they usually have lower avoidance and higher armor than other tanks. You can go to wowthinktank if you wanna see the calculations.

brutaluhtor
11-03-2009, 08:06 AM
@ Lore:

with the reduction in dodge, how do you think shield block rating/value is going to be effected with War's and Pallies? from what ive gathered it seems like it may be more valuable then trying to get back all the avoidance lost from the IC-R. Add the 4 piece reduc-shield in the War T10 prot bonus and it seems to me like the shield may become alot more then just an armor boost for EH. Although the 4 piece bouns for pallys seems to say differently, your thoughts?

NesaddictZer0
11-03-2009, 08:22 AM
(b")b Loving the weekly Marmot! Its helped me tweak my UI and it gives us watchers a bit of in sight to the faces in front of the monitors.

I think its time Ciderhelm did his now ^_^. If you do one I'll do one.

See you all in Ice Crown!

http://wow.sig.magelo.com/1662106.png (http://wow.magelo.com/profile/1662106)

http://wow.sig.magelo.com/1705212.png (http://wow.magelo.com/profile/1705212)

Feranel
11-03-2009, 08:48 AM
What was that boss health count down timer?

Pheelix
11-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Love the videos sir. The only thing I would add is that in this 2nd one the music is a bit too loud vs. your voice. I could still hear everything you said but the levels could be tweaked.

Again, thanks for making the new videos!

Unresponsive
11-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks so much for clearing up the 20% dodge questions!

aakenned
11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I think he said it was deathclock, just watch the video again to be sure.

What was that boss health count down timer?

Munchakin
11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
nice description about what's happening to tanks there to tanks but I have one concern, what's going to happen to us bear tanks out there? it seems quite clear they don't want us to tank any more, from the premades on PTR , I made one there and you don't even get the +192stamina trinket that all the other possible tank classes get :confused: so its seems like some thing is happening here, and for icecrown, dodge is our only avoidance and were getting 20% less of it... :(

tuffmuffin
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
what's going to happen to us bear tanks out there? it seems quite clear they don't want us to tank any more, from the premades on PTR , I made one there and you don't even get the +192stamina trinket that all the other possible tank classes get :confused: so its seems like some thing is happening here, and for icecrown, dodge is our only avoidance and were getting 20% less of it... :(
ThinkTank: [General, Druid] Icewell radiance, bears, and you (http://wowthinktank.blogspot.com/2009/10/general-druid-icewell-radiance-bears.html)

Read that. Felhoof summed it up pretty nicely.
Don't worry so much about the PTR right now. It's there to collect data and not starting with the trinket doesn't mean anything.

wrynn
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
These videos could really benefit from some production value. Tankspot is not a simple blog, it is a community that has always presented itself in a very professional manner. The videos are always edited with good transitions, good narration, and a well-written/read script.

If you are going to be doing "talking heads" in your videos, please rehearse your scripts a bit more. Using a tele-promoter on your monitor would also help keep your eyeline at the camera. Talk to your audience, not yourself. Don't get lost, checking your notes, looking down, looking around. Deliver the story.

Free Teleprompter Software (http://www.freetelepromptersoftware.com/)

A few cheap lighting tips can help you improve the look of the videos:

Do not mix lighting sources. Indoor (tungsten in most cases) and daylight have different color temperatures. As does your monitor. This is what causes your face to be blue while your background is orange. (or vice-versa) Unless you're using a fairly sophisticated web-cam or are quite well-versed in things videography and using a quality camera, your camera will attempt to set the white-balance itself, and when you have mixed light sources, it picks a temperature between the different temperatures it sees and all the color is off. Also, using a tele-prompter with a mostly black background will eliminate alot of the light from that source.

For daylight, block it off. Indoor lighting is the easiest to move/adjust. Daylight varies.

@ Lore put a semi-transparent curtain type of material between you and the light coming from your upper right side when you shoot. It is destroying the tone in your face.

wrynn
11-03-2009, 10:59 AM
This may help as well:

http://www.techlearning.com/article/1162

Using simple household lighting can accomplish the same thing. Its about how you place it and how you modify it.

Splug
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Introduce Splug now! I wanna put a face to that dark creepy voice.You couldn't pay me enough t- wait, that's probably not true.

-Splug

Xemmas
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
where are the macros for changing the distance of the camera!?

Pheelix
11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I have always used:

/script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax",50)

Munchakin
11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
oooo really nice ty m8 :D

Jacare
11-04-2009, 08:36 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Newportz/buffbars.jpg

How do I get these darned buffbars off the middle of my screen?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

BoomBeef
11-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I was looking for links to try those addons Lore mentioned but didn't see 'em so I figured I'd post them for any others looking:

Utopia on curse (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/utopia.aspx)

and it appears to work better than Debuffenough and reminds me of Demon addon from BC days.

Death Clock on curse (http://war.curse.com/downloads/war-addons/details/deathclock.aspx)

Thanks for mentioning them Lore.
I appreciate the work of everyone on Project Marmot.

Koren
11-04-2009, 11:41 AM
is there an addon or a way to move my chat window around because its getting annoying :P

Karhazn
11-04-2009, 12:21 PM
is there an addon or a way to move my chat window around because its getting annoying :P
If you right click on the tab at the top (it should say something like general, provided you haven't changed the tab names/added more) and click unlock. You can drag it around and resize it.

efortier
11-04-2009, 03:25 PM
If you are going to be doing "talking heads" in your videos, please rehearse your scripts a bit more. Using a tele-promoter on your monitor would also help keep your eyeline at the camera. Talk to your audience, not yourself. Don't get lost, checking your notes, looking down, looking around. Deliver the story.
Story was delivered and received on my end.

Truth is, I don't come here to see a Pretty Lore or a Well-Lit Lore. I see here to listen to people I respect and have followed for a long time.

Do not mix lighting sources.
I for one hope Tankspot does not waste time on fiddling with building a studio. Then again, if they have the time and resources, why not.

Lore put a semi-transparent curtain type of material between you and the light coming from your upper right side when you shoot. It is destroying the tone in your face.
What the heck? Lore's face is toneless. And there's nothing wrong with that! :cool:

How about the content? To me, it was great and I learned some new stuff in each of the 2 videos so far. You got me hooked guys! Nice job.

Squirrelnut
11-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree, this site is for content and anyone that overly focuses on the delivery (lighting, appearance, etc) has their priorities all messed up. I appreciate seeing people as they are and hearing their insights much more then I care about how the lighting show someone's face lol.

Splug the Priest
11-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Seconded.

>.>

<.<

Ariedan
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Seconded.

>.>

<.<
Third!

Splug the Priest
11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Third!

The motion passes.

Ariedan
11-04-2009, 05:14 PM
The motion passes.
Seems pretty official to me.

Splug
11-05-2009, 03:08 AM
No, I'm not Splug, the author on Tankspot, nor did I steal his name, I stole it fair and square from WotC

Boggle, a pod Splug? This won't be confusing at all.

-Splug

travor
11-05-2009, 08:44 AM
@Aliena

how is it possible for you to play on a US-Server, while living in Germany?
I'm looking forward to do the same. Would it actually be possible to get my current main character on a Server in the US?

I suppose that I'd have to create a new account using a Key from the US, while also including "my" adress in the United States.. - at least that's what Google told me.

Kazeyonoma
11-05-2009, 09:39 AM
She lives in Canada, she is from Germany.

Volador
11-05-2009, 09:40 AM
@Aliena

how is it possible for you to play on a US-Server, while living in Germany?
I'm looking forward to do the same. Would it actually be possible to get my current main character on a Server in the US?

I suppose that I'd have to create a new account using a Key from the US, while also including "my" adress in the United States.. - at least that's what Google told me.

You play with latency. There is no additional difference for playing on a US server from Germany. My first 2.5-3 years in WoW were played in Germany.

Sunderwhere
11-05-2009, 12:40 PM
So, I downloaded Skinner, but for some reason I can't get it to turn the background off on my clock (standard blizzard clock). Any ideas as to what I'm missing?

Wapner
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Aliena,

I'm curious what the font is that you have for your name, in the video. I'm raelly liking that font and think it would fit in well in my UI. :)

Bakayaru
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Question for Lore and im sure your wishing to move on to other content in your videos besides your UI but I have mine set up the way i like except for something that i saw in your video and that is the typing bar for your chat windows. Yours in in the middle of your screen and i would love to be able to move mine as well. How did you do this? Mod? or is there an option I am missing in the interface options?

Aliena
11-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Insomniax is the font.

To play on US servers, you need a US version of the game (or at the very least a US server file list), a US account and a way to pay for the subscription (CC or NA time cards).

Splug the Priest
11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Boggle, a pod Splug? This won't be confusing at all.

-Splug

I get people asking me tanking questions on my server all the time, hence the signature. They don't make the connection of "Oh hey, he's not a tank."

Anyways, on topic:

Can Deathclock keep track of a focus target? As a raid leader and a healer, this would be a great addon to have, but somewhat troublesome to use while healing.

Unless, you know, I want to know how long it will take my tank to die. XD

Dannyl
11-06-2009, 03:19 AM
@Lore
I'm enjoying the new weekly videos, quite refreshing. I wrote on the Chill of the Throne on my own personal blog as well, and I agree, there is too much concern about it atm. However, I am personally worried about DK tanking in Icecrown Citadel - namely our threat. Runestrike is one of our best threat tools, but we need avoidance to swing it. With -20% to avoidance, this is going cost us a lot of runestrike hits.

The latest patch notes mention that DKs are getting a 17% threat increase, specifically to their runestrikes. Odds are this is a countermeasure, to make sure our threat stays compatible, but I am still wary. I would rather get additional runestrikes, than few and far inbetween.

Any information on the math on this, is the 17% enough to make up for the lack of avoidance?

Jacare
11-06-2009, 10:20 AM
So does anyone know how to get the buff bars off the middle of the screen?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Newportz/buffbars.jpg

I feel like i've clicked everything off that deals w/ duration bars in every add-on i've downloaded but I still can't get rid of these.

CatabriOnEarthen
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
So does anyone know how to get the buff bars off the middle of the screen?

Those are from ClassTimer, you need to go into the interface for CT, unlock the addon, and then you can move them wherever you want.

Jacare
11-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Those are from ClassTimer, you need to go into the interface for CT, unlock the addon, and then you can move them wherever you want.

Ah, appreciate it man....it was driving me nuts...

Slaman
11-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh wow I was in that Warsong lol

I came to their base and found a priest with Val'anyr just sitting there, thought that was odd. I ran past though, I should have tried to kill her >.<

I could be on the tankspot front page *grumble*

Aliena
11-07-2009, 04:21 PM
In the take before that some allies actually ran through and did just that while I was explaining grid. It kinda ended up like: "Oh, and here you see a good example of how debuffs show up in the middle of a grid box. Oh, and here, see how PowerAuras is reminding me that my Inner Fire charges were used up in, uh, 2 seconds? Yeah, ok, I got raped."

travor
11-07-2009, 08:32 PM
She lives in Canada, she is from Germany.

am I missing something, or does "currently I'm back in Germany" mean the exact opposite? :confused:

but that's not the point anyway. thanks for the reply, guess my question has already been answered. I think it won't be worth the effort, as my latency will increase way too much.

Dizgia
11-07-2009, 10:05 PM
i actually used ice hud for a bit but found it to take up too much room eh thats just me

Aliena
11-08-2009, 02:06 AM
My latency is around 300.

Yeh
11-08-2009, 04:44 AM
now say, i have one tiny question regarding Lore's UI, and that is the Chat Input box, i noticed it appeared underneath your HUD in the first movie, i have been wanting something like this for a long time, anyone know the name of the addon or a similar one?

magor1988
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
@ Aliena First great vid, it was nice putting a face to the name.

What was the name of the first add on she mentioned? (About 3:30 in the movie, the buff bars one)? I think her accent came through a bit strong there and I couldn't quite catch what she said even though I replayed the vid a couple times...

tuffmuffin
11-08-2009, 11:21 PM
@ Aliena First great vid, it was nice putting a face to the name.

What was the name of the first add on she mentioned? (About 3:30 in the movie, the buff bars one)? I think her accent came through a bit strong there and I couldn't quite catch what she said even though I replayed the vid a couple times...
Satrina's Buff Frames

Ushebti
11-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Appearently, Lore is appearing in Stargate:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/replicators_fifth.jpg

Darksend
11-09-2009, 04:59 AM
OMG!

lore is 5th!

Ushebti
11-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Let us hope he won't get any Neutronium.
That would make alot of Lore's.

magor1988
11-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Satrina's Buff Frames

Thanks Muffin.

Togrin
11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
@Aliena: you're cute, nice to have a sympathetic and talented player (who is not male) on the tankspot team! best wishes from switzerland.

@Lore: well explained overall, what I missed a little bit is what the Chill of the Throne will mean for Gearchoices for Tanks or Tankchoices for a Raid. But I guess you wanted to keep it under 10 minutes, so its understandable.

Btw: Can't Tankspot afford an account on youtube that enables videos that are longer than 10 minutes? I don't know how much it is, but it sure would be very nice.

Pir
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
What was the meter she mentions in one of the videos that records things like priest shields and gives credit in healing meters for such things?