PDA

View Full Version : Blocking?

Weyet
11-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I was wondering, with high dodge/parry/miss the damage from tanking can either be a complete miss for 0 damage or if it does hit you can take quite a good whack.

Is there any way instead of going for dodge/parry/miss going for more block rating and block value?

What I'm aiming for in the end is to be able to say take more hits. But have those hits be reduced a lot so that my damage can be more of a constant flow rather than jumpy.

Also like say for the block value there's like STR gems that could do that aspect. But can't really find much on block rating.

Fetzie
11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
BLock rating increases your chance to block an attack. This can be useful is certain circumstances (primary example is offtank at Anub'arak in heroic mode) when many hits are occurring that are fairly small.

Unfortunately oppurtunities to use block (and block value) are few and far between, most boss attacks are of such a size that any blocked amount is negligible compared to the actual hit.

If a boss hits you for 3000 and you block 2000 of that hit, you reduce the incoming damage by 60%.

If a boss hits you for 30 000 damage and you block 2000 of that hit, you reduce the incoming damage by 6%.

Blocking can be useful, but most of the time taking a blocked hit or an unblocked hit does not make a lot of a difference.

To increase block value you should primarily look for items that have BV as a stat (the emblem of triumph pants for example), or you can stack strength. However for a block set (i.e. making every hit either not connect or be blocked) you should gem and enchant for avoidance

Chasey
11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
At one point in the game blocking was the best or close to the best stat to shoot for. 102.4 became a magical number to shoot for. In naxx it was so helpful. Now bosses hit for 30k, it becomes more important to avoid the hit totally or add stam to allow for 2 hits w/o a heal.
Thats my goal, it doesn't always work out. I'm not a fan of blocking 2500 of every hit to lose 4000 hp's or more. JMHO.

veneretio
11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
By socketing/enchanting for Defense, you will gain Dodge/Parry/Miss and Block rating. This is a better strategy than trying to inflate your Block value via Strength. This choice occasionally pays off when facing encounters with a lot of smaller adds. It's never better against a hard hitting boss unit. In that case, if you want something more consistent albeit more frequent consider focusing on Armor.

kpxneophyte
11-01-2009, 09:08 PM
It would have been nice to see block being used as another component of mitigation more often than just relying on avoidance and armor/stam stacking. Don't get me wrong; it still is,but the higher tier gears don't have any block rating on it to make an unhittable set viable on end game bosses (e.g. the highest tier with block rating and block value is the gear out of uld 25 and therefore don't really have the stam and armor to deal with blows from the bosses in ToGC).

Also, any mitigation is good. Even what may seem negligible (5%-6%) will go a long way on a fight. The thing that's bad, however, is what the bosses do. Stuns, magic damage, and bleeds do not take block rating/value into ANY consideration, therefore making them pretty obsolete.

An unhittable set is particularly useful when you're rofling through heroics or a past raid that you want to clear just for the hell of it (or emblems). In that case, all you want to do is gem Defense for all of your slots (unless the gem bonus is block rating, in my opinion). The reason behind Defense is the fact that dodge, parry, and miss all have diminishing returns while block doesn't. Also, http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/57048-anub-arak-add-tanking-guide.html is a good place to start looking for gear, though it's geared towards warriors over paladins, but it's pretty much the same thing.