PDA

View Full Version : My Damage Spike Problem

sacri
10-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I've been tanking for 1-2 months now and I really like it. I even have two tanking specs, one blood and one frost. While chaining heroics I've noticed that sometimes my health drops significantly within a few seconds. This became even more apparent when I started pugging Ony10 and TOC10. Needless to say, its giving me and the healers a heart attack at times. I am not sure what the cause of this is. I suspect getting even more avoidance would just make it happen less, but not fix the root cause? I would be grateful if someone could take a look at my armory and let me know if I am doing something wrong.

My Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azgalor&n=Phyrex)

Armor in game w/ Frost Presence: 24999
HP in game w/ Frost Presence in blood spec: 35271
Dodge w/ Horn of Winter: 27.25%
Parry w/ Horn of Winter: 18.85%

Thanks in advance!

ZeruelTenken
10-31-2009, 02:17 AM
You're right about the effects of getting more avoidance. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing to make spikes more rare, of course. I have to wonder, just from looking at your gear if you're not noticing larger dips once the proc of The Black Heart wears off and you lose that big chunk of armor. That said, you can do a few things given your gear to try to make yourself a bit harder of a target. Finishing your Hodir rep for the better shoulder enchant or changing to the 30stam/15resil PvP one would both work. Also, those shoulders are 245, so spring for an epic gem - I'd suggest strength/stamina instead of AP/stamina if you really want to split the gem, since you'll get both AP and some parry from the strength. You've got enough defense on the cloak that you can swap that enchant for the 225 armor one. Beyond that, you're down to either "get better gear", which is easy enough to say, I suppose, or have someone more knowledgeable about DKs catch something regarding your spec.

Tengenstein
10-31-2009, 03:42 AM
I beleive Onyxia is one of those lucky bosses that can parry haste, you are not at the expertise soft cap, she has a 10% chance of parrying your attacks and gaining parry haste, which can spike your iDPS.

Hades
11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
WARNING: I tank in Frost so this might seem retarded.

That said, I'd work into picking up 2/2 Imp Blood presence by dropping Hysteria and 1 pt in Rune Tap. With so many meatshield, EH talents already it makes perfect sense to just.. up that one more. Your hit rating is a smudge low unless you run with a Draenei a lot, in which case Heroic Presence will make up the missing 1%. You do need to get your expertise up to soft cap (26) and that should reduce the parry-hasting. Otherwise, all I can suggest is some new pants, and maybe a new ring in place of the Earthguard. The rest looks good.

sacri
11-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I'll try to up my gear a bit more and cap hit and expertise. I also moved a few points into Will of the Necropolis hoping that it'll help. Thanks again!

Kurtosis
11-05-2009, 12:00 AM
You basically hit on the primary challenge of DK tanking, dmg spikes. Yes, more avoidance will reduce but not eliminate them. Many DK tanks, myself included, deal w/ it by spec'ing Blood and stacking stamina (after getting hit and exp mins) so we can take the hits and survive. It definitely keeps healers on their toes.

Until recently I also dual-spec'd Blood tank and Frost tank, Blood for mt'ing hard hitting bosses like Ony, and Frost for ot'ing trash or tanking 5mans. For my Blood build (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jcEMqI0IsbMbssxhxZ0g:iGp0Mm) I sacrificed all AoE and Death Coil buffs for melee dmg and survivability. Basically I've got several CD's - IBF, Vampiric Blood (macro'd to also /use a Runic Health Pot immediately after VB), and Improved Rune Tap.

Others w/ more experienced, better geared healers can go w/ a more balanced build. You'll have to experiment w/ what's best for you and your raid makeup.

And fwiw, Icecrown Citadel in the next patch will introduce a mechanic (http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/wow-in-china-blue-posts-comics/) that reduces dodge by 20% but also reduces boss dmg, which will smooth out healing a bit more.

DesT.
11-05-2009, 12:29 AM

That said, I'd work into picking up 2/2 Imp Blood presence by dropping Hysteria and 1 pt in Rune Tap. With so many meatshield, EH talents already it makes perfect sense to just.. up that one more. Your hit rating is a smudge low unless you run with a Draenei a lot, in which case Heroic Presence will make up the missing 1%. You do need to get your expertise up to soft cap (26) and that should reduce the parry-hasting. Otherwise, all I can suggest is some new pants, and maybe a new ring in place of the Earthguard. The rest looks good.

Umm, why would you get 2/2 Imp Blood Pres, its a terrible talent and I'd rather keep the points in hysteria + Imp Rune Tap for the insta heal, saved me so many times on heroic Gormok.
I think you may have miss read the talent. All that happens is that you keep the 4% healing from attacks you normally get in Blood presence, the extra 10% only applies if you're in Blood presence tanking, which shouldn't be the case.
@ the OP. Drop the 20 expertise gem in shoulders and get expertise/stam or dodge/stam. Spike damage is something DKs have to deal with. We can't block like warriors or pallies but we can heal ourselves with Rune Tap / well timed Death Strike. Picking up the triumph badge sigil when you can is another good idea, has an almost 100% uptime.
You can armory me if you like, link in sig. I usually run a full mitigation spec cause I'm always MTing. Hit / Expertise usually come with gear, I've never had threat issues so I never bothered to gem for it specifically :p.

DesT.
11-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Umm, why would you get 2/2 Imp Blood Pres, its a terrible talent and I'd rather keep the points in hysteria for the extra threat on pulls + Imp Rune Tap for the insta heal, saved me so many times on heroic Gormok.
I think you may have miss read the talent. All that happens is that you keep the 4% healing from attacks you normally get in Blood presence, the extra 10% only applies if you're in Blood presence tanking, which shouldn't be the case.
@ the OP. Drop the 20 expertise gem in shoulders and get expertise/stam or dodge/stam. Spike damage is something DKs have to deal with. We can't block like warriors or pallies but we can heal ourselves with Rune Tap / well timed Death Strike. Picking up the triumph badge sigil when you can is another good idea, has an almost 100% uptime.
You can armory me if you like, link in sig. I usually run a full mitigation spec cause I'm always MTing. Hit / Expertise usually come with gear, I've never had threat issues so I never bothered to gem for it specifically :p.

Nurasha
11-05-2009, 03:55 AM
Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I'll try to up my gear a bit more and cap hit and expertise. I also moved a few points into Will of the Necropolis hoping that it'll help. Thanks again!

Don't take WotN. On the average boss fight it mitigates 1k-3k damage through the entire boss fight, meaning it's 3 points of pretty much uselessness. The only place I see the talent useful is on Gormok, and that's 1 of many fights. 4% self healing as tank is a joke, since approximately 90% (mine was on a totc run testing imp blood, so let's say 80% for sheer giving it more usefulness in the following calculation) of the healing will be overhealing anyways. If you are a descent tank, you do maybe 2k dps which means:
2000dps*0.2*.04hps=16hps. Your healers do at least 2.5k hps in toc, so yeah I'd say useless.