PDA

View Full Version : Help for my Prot Offspec

gsuperman
10-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi folks,

My mainspec is Arms, and I've been playing Prot as offspec for Heroics mainly. I haven't tried to tank a raid setting yet, though I'd like to try soon.

I'd like some tips on my current spec, glyphs, and gems, if possible.

Here's my armory
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Dassem)

Here's my Heroes Link
WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings (http://www.wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Medivh&name=dassem)

Spending Triumph badges on Prot gear isn't an option right now, as I'm still using the EoT to get some stuff on my main. I think I need to look at more BoE upgrades too at this point

Thanks in advance

Squirrelnut
10-30-2009, 08:04 AM
With your gear you should easily be able to step into raid tanking, just consider a few changes:

1. Did you forget to put in your prot ranged weapon? If that is what you actually use you should replace it with Blades of the Sable Cross off the vendor, Veranus' Bane or even the old armor plated combat shotgun

2. Socket your belt and put a 30stam gem in there

3. Rings need to be replaced ASAP with even the BoE ring or Valorous emblem ring if you don't have the Triumph emblems to get Clutch of Fortification. Even Nax has upgrades for you

4. Glyphs
- You currently have Glyph of Last Stand but not Shield Wall or improved disciplines. Switch that with Glyph of Shield Wall or or a threat related glyph depending on what content you will be tanking.
- Unless you expect to be a trash tank I would switch the Glyph of Cleave over to Glyph of Devastate
- Replace your minor Glyph of Battle with Glyph of Charge; prot warriors are the mobile class and combined with warbringer improved charge distance is very nice

gsuperman
10-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Thank you Squirrel, this is exactly the information I needed to know :)

As for range, I don't currently have a Def range weapon, but I should just spend the gold to get the Armor Plated gun at least, so I can get more Def from gear to help me get rid of some +def gems.

I have the socket in my belt, just haven't gemmed it. As I'm a new JC, I only just got to 450 last week, so I was planning to put the JC only Stamina gem in there.

Rings, yes, they definitely need the upgrade. I hadn't though to look at the Valor for rings, just saw Signet of the Impregnable Fortress - Item - World of Warcraft, (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40718)
And I just did a filter and saw a BOE ring from Uld, though it probably sells for too much on AH, Signet of the Earthshaker - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45247#comments)

As for glyphs, I'll do those changes tonight, to get Glyph of Charge, and Glyph of Devastate. So I should get Glyph of Shield wall to replace Glyph of Last Stand? You mentioned my spec, not having Improved Disciplines, is this something I should spec in? I'm not entirely sure if my spec is giving me the most of what I need.

Thanks again!

Squirrelnut
10-30-2009, 08:51 AM
If you wanted to go all out on defensive cooldowns you could get glyph of shield wall, glyph of last stand and 2 points in improved disciplines so that shield wall & last stand would be on 2 minute cooldowns but if you are only tanking older content you really shouldn't need to.

3 minute shield wall is good enough for me generally and I prefer to use talent points elsewhere so I don't put the 2 into improved disciplines.

Also you might consider switching your spec up a little bit once you get more into Ulduar+ content and put the 2 points from Cruelty over into Shield Specialization so that you benefit more from rage on avoidance and reduce incoming damage a bit by improving your chance to block. 15/3/53

Joowa
10-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Not the best on advice but your hit rating seems a little on the low side which will make it harder to keep agro. (anyone else can support that or not?)

As for last stand, I tend to use that only as a temporary fix to buy my healer some time to bring my hp up.

Squirrelnut
10-30-2009, 09:04 AM
A good skill prioritization/rotation should be able to handle aggro concerns. It is nice to reach toward the hit cap of 263 in nax/ulduar content but expertise is far more important until you pass the soft cap of 26.

Once you start getting into all the ToC gear hit itemization on gear virtually doesn't exist and still doesn't cause much of a problem since I glyph for taunt ensuring tank swaps go through.