PDA

View Full Version : Prot Goals....HALP!

Sourbelly
10-28-2009, 01:19 PM
My Warrior alt is currently lvl 74 and spec'd/geared prot. I want to eventually be geared enough to tank for my guild in end game content.

The questions I have are, should I switch to Arms/Fury from 75-80, then run heroics, TOC, etc, etc as Arms/Fury, and simply roll on Prot stuff when I can? Or should I stay Prot and gradually build up my gear through questing, badges, etc, etc? I'm sure that it would be a lot easier to get into groups as a DPS warrior than as a poorly geared Prot warrior.

Another thing worth mentioning, is the fact that either way my guild will help me out. We currently run all of the end game content with great success.

Glittersmith
10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Go prot and slowly build up your gear (with some guild healers/dps it shouldn't be slow really) since you then will get plenty of tanking practice.

Or even better get dualspec and do whatever is needed.

MellvarTank
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
There are some really fantastic gear guides (lists) on this site for you to shoot for in prot that will take you to defense cap. Don't be afraid to spring for a defense enchant either. I always recommend staying prot while levelling, as it gives you a really good feel for the class and will help you learn to tank better.

Tendo
10-29-2009, 07:39 AM
A prot warrior can grind out levels like any other, so I'd suggest sticking with that. Heck, I leveled 10-80 as prot, and only 70-80 of that was done post 3.0 (when Prot actually started to get good)! It meant slower leveling (in the pre-3.0 days) but it meant I had a firm grasp on my abilities and tactics, which helped when jumping into heroics.

Tanking gear is easy to get now. Crafted gear gets you started. Befriend a blacksmith or level your own. Saronite is dirt cheap now, so that shouldn't be an issue. Get all the tempered saronite tanking gear you need to boost you to 535 def (540 if you are jumping in to raids right away).

Follow tankspot's guides to gearing and rep, especially focusing on Polar's Pre Naxx gear list (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/40966-polar-s-easy-pre-naxx-tank-gear-list.html) and Ciderhelm's 540 Def guide (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/41986-cider-s-easy-540-defense-gear-guide.html). I used these to get the best heroic gear choices quickly. Also, find a group to farm ToC (regular). Do these, and with the Conquest emblem gear you'll be able to buy, you will catch up quickly to raid readiness.