PDA

View Full Version : Gemming advice

Raptor
10-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Hello fellow meat shields.

I am at a bit of a ..standstill. I have been away from tanking for a lil bit, due to lvling alts. Now when I parked my tank, I belived I was gemmed correctly for heroics and naxx/perhaps ulduar ten as a MT but most like OT. However, due to some changes I am pulling the tank out of mothballs and taking on a MT role.

My question is, is my gemming correct? One one hand you hear people say that you should stack stam till it wont stack no more, but on the other hand people say to balence your avoidance stats and get expertise and suchforth up there. As you can see I have been trying to get my expertise up to the mark of 26, but I noticed that a lot of other tanks are not doing this.. am I wrong?

I will be making some gear changes very soon, bracers, shoulders perhaps boots.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shu%27halo&n=Raptor)

Thank you for your time.

Haur
10-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Point of tanking is to stay alive and be first on threat. But if you die, your threat doesnt matter so there should be always priority on surving. You didnt say what instances you will run but basic gearing goes (applies also to gems) sta -> armor -> dodge/parry -> hit/exp.

If you want colors, gem all for sta unless socket bonus is sta, if it is, then gem like this:
blue - sta
red - dodge / sta or parry / sta or if you need threat exp / sta
yellow - def / sta or if you need threat hit / sta

krc
10-28-2009, 04:57 AM
For your gems I would just stick to stamina gems while using an expertise gem to get your meta, your main priority is survival unless you are doing a threat intensive fight like Hodir the best way to gem for Survival in current endgame is going for stamina unless there is a red socket bonus with 9 or more stamina where you can just throw an expertise gem in.

Shortypop
10-28-2009, 05:26 AM
I've always been an advocate of the "balanced" approach however your perception of gemming may be skewed by who you are inspecting, tanks in ToC-level gear are unlikely to be gemming expertise not just because they may favour stamina but also ToC-gear is swimming in expertise to start with :)

Personally I gemmed up to about 5% expertise in Naxx&Ulduar where possible, but now I gem towards stam and hit primarily.

drae
10-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Stamina, one exp/stamina gem to activate your meta, preferably in a spot that gives you +9 stam or higher as a socket bonus. (blue and red sockets req. for example)

Aggathon
10-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Stamina, one exp/stamina gem to activate your meta, preferably in a spot that gives you +9 stam or higher as a socket bonus. (blue and red sockets req. for example)

^ This

I used to be one of the "balance" people long ago... then I got to higher end tanking that I didn't just flat out outgear and I died... a lot...

Stam stam stam stam stam stamity stam stam stam sta stam

Raptor
10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I thank you for all the advice, I have already started to make the changes, I am going slowing so that I do not gimp myself in the process. Once again, tankspot FTW. I love this place.

Pixul
10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
At your current health levels your best way to increase survivability is by gemming pure stamina to be quite honest with you. Once you reach about 38,000 HP unbuffed i would suggest you start balancing out your avoidance stats by doing the following:

Red Slots - +10 Dodge / +15 Stam
Yellow Slots - +10 Defense / +15 Stam
Blue Slots - +30 Stam

* notes- DO NOT GEM FOR EXPERTISE! It will come with the gear, dont waste a gem slot on it unless you cannot hold aggro during your raids. DO NOT GEM FOR HIT! Yes hit is nice for threat/taunts, but your threat should be more then satisfactory to allow you to gem for either Stam or Avoidance stats over hit rating. *

Risky
10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
At your current health levels your best way to increase survivability is by gemming pure stamina to be quite honest with you. Once you reach about 38,000 HP unbuffed i would suggest you start balancing out your avoidance stats by doing the following:

Red Slots - +10 Dodge / +15 Stam
Yellow Slots - +10 Defense / +15 Stam
Blue Slots - +30 Stam

* notes- DO NOT GEM FOR EXPERTISE! It will come with the gear, dont waste a gem slot on it unless you cannot hold aggro during your raids. DO NOT GEM FOR HIT! Yes hit is nice for threat/taunts, but your threat should be more then satisfactory to allow you to gem for either Stam or Avoidance stats over hit rating. *

Balancing your miti stats wouldnt take dodge/defense gems. It'd take parry gems, more often than not.

And there's nothing wrong with gemming for expertise/hit if you're low. You can regem when you get it. You WILL wipe the raid on an untauntable boss if you have threat issues early. You WILL kill the other tank if you fail your taunt on Gormok. Avoidance will not help that.

Aggathon
10-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Balancing your miti stats wouldnt take dodge/defense gems. It'd take parry gems, more often than not.

And there's nothing wrong with gemming for expertise/hit if you're low. You can regem when you get it. You WILL wipe the raid on an untauntable boss if you have threat issues early. You WILL kill the other tank if you fail your taunt on Gormok. Avoidance will not help that.

Defense gives parry and dodge DRs are much less steep, dodge/defense probably would be the best "balanced" but it is still a terrible idea to gem for it unless you really need defense. Stam stam stamity stam sta stam. Seriously. It continually baffles me when people say to balance avoidance 'cuz its simply not true. STAM PEOPLE!!!!

Furthermore you should never have threat issues and if you need to taunt just glyph it and you're savvy. If you have threat issues either you're doing something wrong or your dps is. It's not that hard to get an MD or a Tricks at the begining of a fight anyways.

Risky
10-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Defense gives parry and dodge DRs are much less steep, dodge/defense probably would be the best "balanced" but it is still a terrible idea to gem for it unless you really need defense. Stam stam stamity stam sta stam. Seriously. It continually baffles me when people say to balance avoidance 'cuz its simply not true. STAM PEOPLE!!!!

Furthermore you should never have threat issues and if you need to taunt just glyph it and you're savvy. If you have threat issues either you're doing something wrong or your dps is. It's not that hard to get an MD or a Tricks at the begining of a fight anyways.

Oh, trust me. I agree wholeheartedly.
But when socket bonuses are looking sweet, I do take the occasional hit gem to keep me up to par. Mostly cause I like my glyphs and despise taunt glyph. :D
And consider most warriors who don't gem either avoidance end up with 28% dodge and 20% parry, approx... then parry/defense would be your best balance gem. But personally I'd slap anyone who uses an orange gem in tankset.

Aggathon
10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh, trust me. I agree wholeheartedly.
But when socket bonuses are looking sweet, I do take the occasional hit gem to keep me up to par. Mostly cause I like my glyphs and despise taunt glyph. :D
And consider most warriors who don't gem either avoidance end up with 28% dodge and 20% parry, approx... then parry/defense would be your best balance gem. But personally I'd slap anyone who uses an orange gem in tankset.

Eh, I just carry around a stack of glyphs (also engineer so I can put them in my bank and drop a jeeves and pull them out too) and so I glyph for the fight, if it's gormock I'll switch out SW or Blocking for Taunt, then switch back afterwards, etc.

Risky
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Eh, I just carry around a stack of glyphs (also engineer so I can put them in my bank and drop a jeeves and pull them out too) and so I glyph for the fight, if it's gormock I'll switch out SW or Blocking for Taunt, then switch back afterwards, etc.

Sounds like we're same tank, different server. ;)

Aggathon
10-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Sounds like we're same tank, different server. ;)

And faction... silly alliance =P

Risky
10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Our women have bigger boobs.

THREAD-SHOT!

Aggathon
10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Our women have bigger boobs.

THREAD-SHOT!

Dwarves don't count as women. Bloodelves are totally hotter.

Insahnity
10-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Dwarves don't count as women. Bloodelves are totally hotter.

If you think Brittany Spears is hot, then your statement doesn't suprise me. BElfs were rendered as skanks.

Incidentally, your statement could be re-worded as:

"Taurens don't count as women. Nightelves are totally hotter."

and it would still be the same.

Aggathon
10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
If you think Brittany Spears is hot, then your statement doesn't suprise me. BElfs were rendered as skanks.

Incidentally, your statement could be re-worded as:

"Taurens don't count as women. Nightelves are totally hotter."

and it would still be the same.

There are Tauren women? I also meant Belfs > Nelfs