PDA

View Full Version : DPS slump - ARMs vs Fury

Malenthal
10-27-2009, 02:33 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&cn=Malenthal&gn=Catalyst)

Could use some help form Kaz or any other SMEs out there. Just switched from ARMs back to Fury and my DPS seems to be going down. My Guild is working on ToCr 10 and 25 man and want to be an effective team player as anyone would.

Problem is not sure how to effectivewly max out DPS yet or consistently. Pretty well geared for most heriocs and still need more and with anything a work inprogress. I just need some help please on what I still need to do or get and keep the DPS consistent and moving forward instead of in reverse. Any advice or tips. Thanks.

Malenthal
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
an update to this, just added titanium razorplate as my chest piece and still need to gem it. The other question I have for this is a good balance for gemming. All strength or when I hit a certain cap then add Crit or HIt or whats a good recipe for gems. Thanks for the help.

Zerou
11-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Fury in my experience is mainly AOE damage and in Totc fury is abit lacking here because the boss fights are mainly single target, whirlwind does not hit the Cobalts on the first boss so there goes most of your dps, and on Faction Champs some raids tell you not to AOE so there goes more of your dps. Also, Fury dps varries greatly on the fight one fight you can be doing 5k dps and another fight you can be doin 3k. And by the way being decently heroic dps is not really decent Totc dps, to help your guild, you have to first let your guild help you, and thats by getting better gear esp a new weapon. Totc is the main reason i think i switched from Fury to Arms, and the only aoe dps i usually do is Bladestorm and Sweeping strikes, and I usually dont get a chance to maximize it at the begging of a fight is because it pulls alotta agro and i die. And for the gemming issue i find that Fury doesnt need alot of crit gemming becuase of the crit increase in beserker stance so i say stack ArP or Strength with ever you prefer. Hope this helps and a final tip if ur in a raid with another warrior doin 5k+ dps ask em for tips. I do like 4.3k with the Edge of Ruin and the only big difference between me and the higher dps warriors is the weapon, and him being in a raiding guild and i'm not.

Griff
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I think Arms is generally better for DPS unless your gear has enough itemized armor pen to support the switch to fury. I'm not an expert in DPS though so I recommend you take this comment with a grain of proverbial salt.

MellvarTank
11-16-2009, 12:22 PM
With Fury you need a few things:

1) Know your priorities. BT/WW/Slam when Proc'd. Anything else is only if rage permits.

2) Strength is King.

3) You need to get to 5% hit (with precision maxed out it gives you 3%) minimum, and 26* expertise rating (maximum).

*you can find a good balance while gearing where 22-24 expertise will allow you to gem more strength and see more of a dps gain than gemming expertise.

4) You need two solid weapons, even 2 x The Edge of Ruin (H TotC 5) are good enough to get into raids.

5) Did I mention Strength was the best ever?

6) Enchant your gear, and don't chinse out. You need epic gems, and good enchants. Skimping will only hurt your DPS.

7) Manage your rage effectively. The difference between fury at 4K and fury at 5.5K-6K with similar gear? Rage management. I've seen it in action (between a better geared player who was not so good at it and a player with worse gear pulling bigger numbers), it's probably the toughest part of the Fury spec.

Skyborn
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
whirlwind does not hit the Cobalts on the first boss so there goes most of your dps

It's true that if you're targeting the boss you wont be able to hit the snobold with any melee AOE, but if the snobold is actually targeted then all whirlwinds / cleaves will hit both the snobold and the boss (as long as they're close enough). Weird how that works but I just wanted to point that out.

@Malenthal: I just looked at your armory. I think you would be fine staying fury (you're gemmed STR, you have good weapons)... that being said you're a little under the expertise soft cap of 26 and you're comfortably over the hit cap. I run with around 200 hit and don't have any rage problems... which means you could probably stand to swap some hit gems out for strength/crit gems to activate the bonus.

The gem in your offhand should be +20 STR so it scales with Kings.

I'm a fan of icewalker for feet but mobility isn't a bad thing so that's your call.

I think your number 1 priority would be to get a helm with a meta and activate the 21 Agi + 3% crit damage with a nightmare's tear in the blue socket of your pants. Run Ony for the T2 throwback helm or if you're swimming in badges you can pick up the triumph head piece.

Specwise: Do you think 2/2 Improved Intercept and 1/1 Heroic Fury are worth the points? Occasionally I press intercept and it's not ready but I don't think I'd need 3 talent point to prevent that. Personally I'd take 1 point out of Imp Intercept and 1 point out of Heroic Fury and put them into Imp. Berserker Rage. I think Imp. Berserker Rage is the best rage-management talent we have. Fury naturally has a few empty GCD's and so we have the chance to use this skill as needed without messing up our rotation... and if you do a good job working it in you'll have considerable more rage over the course of a fight for Heroic Strikes (which when they crit give you back rage and can proc slams) or it can be an emergency rage gen button to get you out of an unexpected rage drought.

Zerou
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
When I was Fury the only time i had rage problem is when i happen to miss two or three white hits in a row(yes i was hit capped at the time) and that slows you down for the next 5 or more secs. I tend to out dps warriors that are better geared even in Arms but Fury dps wont be consistant. Arms on the other had might be abit lower in dps but its more constant, I do 4.5k dps on most bosses now better than the 3.4-5k depending on which boss and hitting the boss and maybe one important add is better than multiple smaller adds that go with Anub in totc. Btw if you dont gem or chant ur gear most raids will laugh at you and kick you. and Str gems are the way to go as fury, i only added purp gems to statisfy the meta requirement. Never liked ArP that much, just a matter of taste i guess and replacing all my str gems isnt really appealing.

Edit: On the note of targeting the cobalt allows you to hit it with whirlwind, i haven't been fury in totc in a really long time but when i was it didnt hit for me maybe they fixed that. And Edge of Ruin x2 is a good axe and i've out dps warriors with two iron souls with better gear but i've had it since it came out and lost rolls on swords like the 2her from Ony multiple time cuz my rolls are crappy when it really counts, so i'm abit bitter lol

MellvarTank
11-16-2009, 01:58 PM
As a side note Zerou: If you missed 1 or 2 white hits in a row... you were either in front of the boss being parried or not at the 26 expertise you needed to be at. At 26 expertise, I find that I just don't miss if I am positioned correctly to the side of or behind the boss.

Destruyen
11-16-2009, 02:07 PM
It's true that if you're targeting the boss you wont be able to hit the snobold with any melee AOE, but if the snobold is actually targeted then all whirlwinds / cleaves will hit both the snobold and the boss (as long as they're close enough). Weird how that works but I just wanted to point that out.

i tried this with bladestorm a few weeks back, but then it would still only hit the boss. as far as sweeping strikes it works, but bladestorm (whirlwind attacks) weren't hitting the snobolds. did this change recently?

When I was Fury the only time i had rage problem is when i happen to miss two or three white hits in a row(yes i was hit capped at the time)

dual-wield white swing hit cap is 27%, no offense but you were probably just special capped (8% with talents and gear) and not actual hit capped for white swings.

Skyborn
11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
i tried this with bladestorm a few weeks back, but then it would still only hit the boss. as far as sweeping strikes it works, but bladestorm (whirlwind attacks) weren't hitting the snobolds. did this change recently?

My last run (about a week ago) I had a snobold targeted and both my cleave and my whirlwind managed to hit Gormok. The snobold was right on Gromok's ass though. I'm fury and haven't raided this fight as arms recently, so I can't confirm or deny bladestorm. I imagine it would work on only the Snobold you have targetted + Gormok and not any other nearby Snobolds for whatever reason.

Destruyen
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
if it works on whirlwind it should work on bladestorm since its the same attack really. next reset i'll try again and see if it works this time.

Baervar
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
ArP is worth more for dps the more you have generally. I'm running 862 arp (61.5%) right now and arpen is worth slightly more for me. I'd also lose booming voice and heroic fury for 3 more points in unbridled wrath till you get better gear since it does work on cleave/HS as well as white strikes and it can help you out initially. Don't gem more than one for hit (to activate the meta) even if you notice you're missing white swings - as long as you keep an eye on rage and don't spam hs too much you should be fine.
Also change the head gear piece.

Zerou
11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Mellvar I was always hit capped(usually over), i am abit low on expertise tho but it isnt really affecting anything that much i'll just wait till i replace gear to get the expertise i'm lacking. But when i missed its usually the first two swings of the battle and it didnt happen all that often but it was frustrating, I'm just saying this because Malenthai's gear doesnt sound too hot and I cant check it becuase armory is down.

Baervar thanks for the tip on my spec this is my frist attempt at arms since 70 heh. I dont use cleave or HS anymore as Arms noticed that i have rage problems if i do use it so i stick with single target attacks. Missing isnt a problem anymore it was along time ago when naxx 25 was the highest raid. The gems? lol yea i need to get rid of hit but i our Guild JC hasnt been on and we...well i used all the str gems she left for us need her to cut more so i'm stuck with those till she gets back. And the Helm? yea its gonna take me awhile to get the badges for the i245 one.