PDA

View Full Version : Freshly dinged prot pally

giggz
10-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey guys, new protection paladin here looking for any help that you guys could offer gear wise.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormrage&n=Giggz)
The main reason im here is that i know i can practically get geared running ToC 5 man heroic but im not sure wether im sufficiently geared to run it. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks very much!
Giggz

Rominoodle
10-27-2009, 09:20 AM
It looks like you are doing pretty good so far. I would be running heroic UP and H CoS every day, to upgrade your sword and board as quickly as you can. Looks like you have some gear from regular ToC which is good...you might want to go for the Black Heart out of regular as well...the stam and proc are helpful. You'd probably have to buff your defense a little with some enchants to stay above 540. Standard def cap for heroics is 535, but I try to stay above 540 at all times. H ToC will be a little hard, and that is more of a healer and dps check when you have a prot pally tanking. H ToC is still tough for me if you have a bad group. If you are going with your guild and have a good healer and competent dps then you'll be fine...but to save yourself some heartache and lockouts, i wouldn't pug hToC until you've gotten some better gear...just so you don't get blamed for the fail :-)

eomerus
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
I think your gear is fine for H ToC. To echo Romin, I find that H ToC is about the overall team. I've seen tanks with ~525 def complete H ToC with ease (dps was 4k+, 3k+ and 2k plus respectively).

I've completed H ToC with 523 def with zero wipes (with same type of dps numbers). Then when I got to 540 I got though H ToC with 1 wipe. With your gear, as long as each member of your DPS is doing around 2.5k, you should be okay (assuming you have a capable healer).

Good Luck

Rominoodle
10-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Sometimes too it also depends on the luck of the draw :-) I've done H ToC with the Shaman, Warrior, and the Rogue for the first matchup..which is an effing nightmare if you have 3 melee dps. Then after downing them we get the Confessor Paletress (spelling?) and she is highly unpleasant as well! Sometimes your team and your luck with bosses in there will be so epic, you'll ask yourself...wait this was on heroic? ....and then there will be other times when you wish this instance had never been created.

giggz
10-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks very much for the advice guys, much appreciated.
Im gunna get a group to try and get the sword from UP and shield from COS like you said and then hopefully ill have enough badges for a few more pieces.

Thanks for all your help guys

uglybbtoo
10-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Trying H-TOC with your current gear is playing russian roulette make sure it's with friends.

As Rom said you get the Warrior, Rogue, Shaman or Confessor and you are going to get taken apart regardless of the dps.

Whilst you can ignore your +def to a degree on some groups because alot of the damage is magical, poisons etc those particular ones aren't they are heavy melee based and you need EH to survive which you lack.