PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm doing something wrong DPS-wise

Lyssa
10-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Hello. :)

With my gear as is I should be doing respectable DPS but I'm finding I'm having a hard time hitting 3.5k in boss fights. Based on what I'm seeing from other people in the forum I think I should be hitting 4-4.5k easy.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Skullcrusher&n=Lyssa)

My usual rotation is:

Charge -> Rend -> MS -> Slam and then mixing in OP when TfB procs or spamming Execute when Sudden Death procs. If neither are up then then I'll spam Slam until TfB or SD proc. I refresh Rend and MS as they fall off, if OP or Execute are not available. If there are other mobs around that need some AoE I'll pop Cleave or Sweeping Strikes.

My guild is 10-man with Ulduar (5 or 6 HM done) and ToC farming. I'm 5 triumph badges from the t9 chest piece so I should have that tomorrow night.

What am I doing wrong?

geros
10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Kazey should hop in and answer this better than I can as I've been away from arms for too long. You are ~120 hit rating over the cap with a spacegoat in your group so dropping that chest in that regard. You are under the expertise soft cap, so it would be helpful for you to spec into weapon mastery. You should probably be using str/crit for your yellow gem requirement and +10 stats for your blue gem. The haste socket bonus on your helm isn't worth it, just socket for strength.

In terms of priority, I always found it very rare when slam was actually improving my DPS instead of harming it. Slam has to be very well timed to be effective at all.

I believe your priority chart reads like this:
Sudden Death
TfB
MS
normal OP (if this happens you were doing it wrong)
refresh rend

Apologies for any inaccurate info, but I think it's a start at least.

Kavtor
10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
If you're raiding 10's, one thing to consider is raid buffs. If you don't have kings / windfury / crit aura, etc all those add up. But that's no excuse.

You often hear people saying they keep rend up all the time, but my experience is that unless you're being especially aware of it, your rend up time is probably a lot lower than you think.

Also, make sure you're using heroic strike when you're swimming in rage. It doesn't happen a lot at low gear levels with arms, but it will happen.

Make sure you're abusing sweeping strikes and blade storm on adds.
Make sure you're using the clicky on your trinket as often as possible. Use trinkets are often neglected.

Don't gem for haste set bonuses. Just toss a pure strength jem in your hat and ring. Haste is an OK stat for fury, but not very helpful for arms.

In the future, try to use the agi / crit damage meta. While the gem itself isn't as good as the crit / crit rating, only having to socket one blue gem to activate the meta more than makes up for the difference.

Tuskar's Vitality to boots. 8% faster movement speed will keep you in contact with mobs that much more, which is a bigger DPS boost on any fight outside of patchwerk than a the hit / crit.

Rak
10-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Just to touch on your ability priority: the moment rend falls off, you should reapply it. Let it fall off, don't refresh it before the last tick goes out, but then immediately put it up again. Use a mod to track it's duration and plan when to hit it so it's only off for a fraction of a second. Keeping rend up should be your top priority.

Mortal Strike should be used every time it's not on cooldown. Conventional wisdom says to put this above everything except rend. The only time I would hit something other than MS when MS isn't on cooldown, is if a TfB proc is about to expire or maybe if SD is about to expire. But those should be pretty rare cases.

The rest of your priorities should be SD executes, overpower, and slam when there is nothing else to do and you have enough rage to still use your upcoming GCDs. In execute range, you can replace slams with executes. Use HS if you're going to rage cap, but as said above this isn't incredibly common with arms.

Erzan
10-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I primarily play a protection warrior, but something that I think about all the time when I'm not tanking bosses/adds is who is going to be sundering the targets.

As a DPS warrior one of your priorities needs to be applying sunders if you do not have a warrior tank, not only for your DPS, but all physical DPS classes.

Everything the people in this post have mentioned is very solid advice. Mainly, drop some hit for more useful itemization (which you are about to do). Gem STR unless the socket bonus is useful for your spec, you'll be surprised how few bonuses you care about. And the first 15 seconds, while you're stacking sunders may be a little slow for your DPS, but after that, you only need to worry about it every 25-30 seconds.

Good luck, and update us on how it goes.

Lyssa
10-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Our two tanks are a warrior and a dk, I'll be sure to keep sunders up if no one else can do it. We have a boomkin but I take it since boomkin faerie fire is only 5% it's definitely worth it for me to sunder for the extra 7% instead?

Since we are a small guild and usually only have 14 or so people login our raids tend to be kind of a mish-mash of people playing whatever class or spec we need for the basic roles (tank/heal/dps). I guess our usual raid makeup is:

Tanks - Warrior, DK
Healing - Holy Paladin, Shaman, Priest
DPS - Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Rogue and Boomkin

Sometimes we have a pally tank or a mage, it really just depends on who logs in on raid night.

I'll regem the slots mentioned (and boot enchant) before the raid tonight and see how I do. :)

The tips for rotation were very helpful as well, I was obviously doing something wrong by not using MS nearly enough and relying too much on slam.

I use forte to track my debuffs which definitely helps me keep up my bleeds/rend/ms and I'm very aware of keeping them up. I'm used to watching those bars from when I heal on my druid so I know when my dots are expiring, the only time I don't refresh them immeditately is if OP or Execute are available, which seems to mesh what you guys are saying. If both TfB and SD proc I always go for OP first. Also use my trinket every time it's off cd.

Assuming I get home in time to make the raid (and they don't make me heal on my druid :) ) I'll see how I do tonight and report back.

Rak
10-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Sunder and Fairy Fire stack, so both should be up. Sunder only does not stack with Expose Armor and the hunter pet armor debuff.

Lyssa
10-28-2009, 08:11 AM
So last night I re-gemmed some gear and got some new gear.

Greathelm of Wrath (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49321) (of course right after I regemmed my dragonsteel helm)
Wrynn's Battleplate of Conquest (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=48372)
The Diplomat (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47740)

The chest still needs a +10 Stats and a +20str to replace that +10str I stuck in there just to fill the slot. I put a +10str/+10crit gem in the gun, I need to put a +20str in there as well- just waiting on the Cardinal Ruby transmute cd on my druid.

Last night in the raids I stopped using slam so much (I may have not used it at all) and was relying a lot more on MS. To be honest, I didn't have many opportunities to use slam anyway because TfB and SD seemed to be proccing more. But even still, at the end of the night I was still doing around the same DPS but I was also keeping sunders, tc and demo shout up on the bosses almost all the time which was definitely hurting my damage output. We have another arms warrior in the raid who is very, very lazy when it comes to that stuff so it pretty much fell on my to keep the debuffs up.