PDA

View Full Version : warrior tank.. stacking to much stam for my gear level?

Tyrz
10-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey.. Well I quit 25er raiding in June on my warrior but I have started playing it more and more again. I picked up both 170 stam trinkets in brewfest and have been using them. I also put 30 stam epic gems in most of my gear, but am I stacking to much stamina for my gear level? Should I change my shoulder and neck to 10 dodge 15 stam gems, my helm and chest to 10 def 15 stam, my shoulder chant to 20 dodge 15 def and maybe even use the onyxia parry/defense avoidance trinket? Or should I keep it all as it is now? I have 52.51% avoidance (not including block) and I have no threat problems at all.

Here is my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dath%27Remar&n=Naishaa)

The content I mainly tank atm is uld10, voa10/25, ony10/25, heroics and maybe toc10 soon

I know this is a lame reason for asking all this but this random whisper is why I had to ask ><
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8066/lolvn.jpg

Fearghus
10-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Stacking too much stam for your gear level? If you got the money, do it! Frankly, at this time, you are doing just fine. Just evaluate yourself as you get more gear, but if you are surviving well (not giving your healers a heartattack) and keep threat, then you are fine.

That whisper displays ignorance.

krc
10-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Honestly at any gear level you can never stack too much stamina, stamina is useful for every single encounter. Almost every single encounter you are tanking EH is king. Another reason why EH stacking is popular is because of bosses like XT002 25 where he hits so hard that if you don't stack EH he could 2-3 shot you which is a huge risk.

Unless you are dying on a small handful of bosses like Auriya,Vezax,Kolo or are single tanking Anub's adds where EH isn't king the only thing I would change is switch 16 defense on your cloak to the highest EH enchant 225 armor. About the Bubbling Brightbrew charms the 170 stamina on it is nice but an easy upgrade you get is the Black Heart, its proc is like another shield.

Toushiro
10-25-2009, 09:30 AM
also if you go JCing the monarch crab has to gem slots and is a BiS till one of the epic stam gems from ulduar.

loquatious
10-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I think folks resent tanks that use 2 Brewfest trinkets because form a stam POV they look uber and set expectations so high. Most end game tanks prefer the trinkets with stam and a on use/proc. If you had the 245 badge trinket or the heart of iron i'd use that instead, but if you dont have them? I'd use the brewfest trinkets too :)

Thedom
10-25-2009, 10:30 AM
As far as the trinkets go I don't know what all you have available but some of the other stamina trinkets are better choices for use/equip bonuses. Vene covers this stuff on his site in a very in depth manner (I will post the link to the specific posts at the end). The Brewfest trinkets have their uses, and I am not saying stamina isn't important or anything but it needs to be weighed against all the other factors of what you are tanking. The Black Heart, JC Crab, and several others should still be considered even with the health drop.

I need more in a Trinket than Stamina (http://www.tankingtips.com/2009/09/21/i-need-more-in-a-trinket-than-stamina/)

Revelations: Rethinking Glyph of Indomitability (http://www.tankingtips.com/2009/09/26/revelations-rethinking-glyph-of-indomitability/)

slvr92
10-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, by looking at your stats, you're def capped, dodge capped, almost hit capped, what else is there to gem with except stam? Don't let people like them get to you. As long as you've capped the necessary stats, there's nothing stopping you from being an EH tank with gemming with stam and having stam trinkets.

Tyrz
10-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the reply's its good to know I'm gearing right.

@ krc
I will try and get my hands on The Black Heart asap. I never looked at its proc before but it looks good for most fights that don't have magic damage in them! knocking off 44 stam for an average of about 1k (i guess from what i read of the proc rate) armor could be worth it! but.. it is a proc.. all the time the proc isn't up (5/6 of the time?) its just a 44 stam loss.

@ loquatious
sadly I never got heart of iron before I stopped raiding uld25 and my only income of triumph badges is daily h, ony and voa atm so I guess I will keep using these for now!

@Toushiro
jc trinket is 63 stamina.. so that is 123 stamina with 2x 30 stam gems in it and the 300 dodge for 10 sec with 1 min cd on use? I think that works out to be 50 dodge rating on average if used every cd for a drop of 47 stam?.. hm but it does sound worth swapping over when i don't need EH.. but I don't think I would use it all the time tbh unless you think 50dodge>47stam? it is close.. but then again its an on use.. not always up :(

btw I don't know if I'm right about all that.. its 5am n I'm brain dead :p

Wars
10-25-2009, 11:13 AM
That guy whom whispered you is just ignorant. You are not failing as a tank and I have to say you have a lot more hp and survivability than my warrior did at that gear level with all those purple gems and the brewfest trinkets!

Put em on ignore, forget about them.

Rominoodle
10-26-2009, 09:11 AM
You are way better geared then I, but I do have the Black Heart on my tank and it actually proc's fairly often. When the proc goes off I am close to 35k armor which is definately a big help on physical damage encounters. I was not level 80 until just after Brewfest ended or else I would have grabbed those trinkets as well. You are lookin good!

Samshel
10-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Seeing we are discussing something about trinkets I use The Black Heart - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47216) and Fervor of the Frostborn - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47727) Is it better to have a stam trinket instead of the dodge one? Im at 37k hp unbuffed right now with stam+dodge trinkets

Tendo
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm not nearly geared out yet (4125 GS, which we all know is really no indicator of skill as people expect it to be). I've got that Black Heart and the JC Monarch crab. I don't use the crab on every cooldown as I should, but that Heart procs a lot and yes, it is amazing in physical fights. I've never main tanked a full 10-man outside OS or old VOA, so my opinion is based on heroics and the occasional off-tanking of OS/VOA.

In similar fashion to the OP's question, should I be sacrificing the +6 and +8 dodge rating gem bonuses from my gear for stam gems in off-colored slots, at my level of gear? I believe answering this question gives a bit of an idea about the progression, as OP is already dodge capped, but I myself am below that level.

Thanks!

Bovinity
10-26-2009, 09:33 AM
but am I stacking to much stamina for my gear level?

For the record, this is basically impossible to do. As long as you meet the "required" stat levels for Warriors (Which basically means hitting 540 defense.) stamina is what you're after.

People kinda get cranky about the Brewfest trinkets because they hate the fact that some holiday loot pinata trinkets are so darn good, overall.

That whisper from that guy is basically the equivalent of sending a tell to a mage saying, "Spell power? Why are you getting that? Nub!"

Ion
10-26-2009, 09:47 AM
In similar fashion to the OP's question, should I be sacrificing the +6 and +8 dodge rating gem bonuses from my gear for stam gems in off-colored slots, at my level of gear? I believe answering this question gives a bit of an idea about the progression, as OP is already dodge capped, but I myself am below that level.

Thanks!

Dodge capped, in that case, is referring to his expertise meeting the dodge soft cap (of 26), not "you can't add any more dodge"...there is no such thing (even though diminishing returns will bite into it).

As to your question, yeah...those dodge bonuses aren't really of much value to you...if it's not a yellow or blue slot, at this point, I'd not even try for the socket bonus if I were you.

MellvarTank
10-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I think the point that was raised about needing more than stam on a trinket is valid, but arguing the value of EH is not (which the whipser was doing). Likely the guy sending the whisper was jealous of the gear you had and the fact that you have way more EH than he does. I would still (however) recommend getting the Black Heart trinket over one of the brewfest ones, for the damage reduction.

Aggathon
10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Honestly at any gear level you can never stack too much stamina, stamina is useful for every single encounter. Almost every single encounter you are tanking EH is king. Another reason why EH stacking is popular is because of bosses like XT002 25 where he hits so hard that if you don't stack EH he could 2-3 shot you which is a huge risk.

Unless you are dying on a small handful of bosses like Auriya,Vezax,Kolo or are single tanking Anub's adds where EH isn't king the only thing I would change is switch 16 defense on your cloak to the highest EH enchant 225 armor. About the Bubbling Brightbrew charms the 170 stamina on it is nice but an easy upgrade you get is the Black Heart, its proc is like another shield.

ILU. This pretty much though I still maintain EHP is still king on Auriya, Vezax, and Kolo, unless you're trying to Solo MT Kolo, then... w/e I guess, it's not like the fight is hard in general anyways.

Seeing we are discussing something about trinkets I use The Black Heart - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47216) and Fervor of the Frostborn - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47727) Is it better to have a stam trinket instead of the dodge one? Im at 37k hp unbuffed right now with stam+dodge trinkets

Black Heart = Awesome
Fervor of the Frostborn = Terribad