PDA

View Full Version : I wish I had a third spec slot

Sennex
10-25-2009, 07:32 AM
So I have a problem, I really need a third spec...

My DK is a Blood Tank, a Blood DPS, and I was going Frost DW for PVP.

The problem is that my Tanking spec when I try to DPS with it, its crap damage, so I dont' want to drop either. However I love PVP in the Battlegrounds and the frost spec I had been using was great for how I PVP. the problem is, no third spec.

So I was hoping you guys could help me find a way to consolidate at least two of these down into one. I am up for whatever, I just need to be able to Off tank in Raids or DPS.

My PVP spec:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=6&tal=2305001403000000000000000000320153013520031003 310331013510000000000000000000000000000000)

My Armory for my other two specs:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Durotan&cn=Sennex&gn=Amicus+Fidelis)

Edgar
10-25-2009, 07:37 AM
In this case you'll have to either accept your sucky DPS or dedicate your character to PvP or PvE.

I too would like to have 3 specs but no can do so, gotta work around it.

Trinata
10-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Id say your best bet is to just do what we all had to do back in the day, and respec when u need a different spec or say ur not going to off tank or dps in raids for a while if you want to pvp that badly

Athenodorus
10-25-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd love to have more than 2 specs, just to cover a better variety of prot configurations without having to respec a lot. Right now I generally run a standard survivability build and an off-tank build incorporating the "weird" talents. Safeguard in particular is a bloody amazing OT talent, especially in cases where the DPS isn't riding close to the boss tank.

If I had 3 specs, I would take:
(1) Standard 5/15/51 Survivability (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZGV00xZMItMx0didIzsGo:Tcd)
(2) Standard 15/3/53 Balanced Threat w/ 2min SW (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItrx0didIzsGo:Tcd)
(3) A variant OT build with Improved Disarm 2/2, Safeguard 2/2, and Shield Spec 5/5.

If I had a 4th, it would probably be Prot PvP or Small Add Control OT with Piercing Howl.

Nicki
10-25-2009, 08:24 AM
See the problem with adding more slots is that it just creates the need for more...

As a priest I could quite easily have; Holy raid heal, Holy tank heal, Disc, Disc greater heal, Disc PvP, Shadow, Shadow imp VE, shadow PvP. That is 8 possible things not that i have the time to play like that but some people do.

Dual spec allows you to keep 2 on hand specs for everything else theres the trainer respecs /dread... This fulfills the purpose of allowing raiders to more easily switch raid roles when needed i.e. healers going dps or tanks going dps or dps going heal...How you use the variations are up to you and your raid group and guild team.

orcstar
10-25-2009, 08:50 AM
You shouldn't try to weave 2 spec into 1 jack of all trades, because it will become master of none.

Like suggested above, bring in the cash and find a friendly scribe for respeccing and reglyphing. It's gone cost quite a bit of gold over time but it's better to do things good then half.

Kurtosis
10-25-2009, 01:59 PM
/wtb 3 specs too. In my case. 2x tank specs and 1 dps spec, but 1 tank, 1 dps, 1 pvp would be nice too. Just keep posting this in Bliz's suggestion forums periodically. I do, hoping enough others do it that they'll eventually come around, as they did w/ faction and race changes.

Thaak
10-25-2009, 02:24 PM
I agree with Nicki on this one. The more you get, the more you'll want. Would I like 3 specs? Sure! Would I like 4 even more? You bet! 5? KEEP 'EM COMING.

Prot-threat
Prot-Survival
Prot-PvP
Arms-PvE
Arms-PvP
Fury-PvE
Prot/Arms-UA
Prot/Fury-BT solo build

As you can see, the list just gets out of hand, and it doesn't even include those "let me make this crazy weird spec for this one particular fight" builds. I personally keep one spec always 15/5/51, as i can tank any content my guild is capable of, in that spec. My other spec jumps around depending on what i want/need to do.

Thedom
10-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I would probably try to decide if my pvp spec and my dps spec can be the same. Would your DW Frost build work for DPS in a raid? If its mainly for an option if you don't need the tank spec (i.e. a pug raid or something) perhaps it will be enough DPS to work for you.

Sennex
10-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Finally what I ended up doing was combining the PVP and the DPS into one build, I lack the utility for PVP that I had, and I am also not putting up quite as large of DPS numbers as I used to for PVE. Last night in Ony and VOA 25 it seemed to work well, I was pulling down approx 3.2k dps.

Kurtosis
10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree with Nicki on this one. The more you get, the more you'll want. Would I like 3 specs? Sure! Would I like 4 even more? You bet! 5? KEEP 'EM COMING.
I'm pretty sure this would be a case of diminishing marginal returns, diminishing utility, not increasing. For every additional spec slot, there is less of a need for another. Three should be just about right, one for each tree.

Thaak
10-31-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure this would be a case of diminishing marginal returns, diminishing utility, not increasing. For every additional spec slot, there is less of a need for another. Three should be just about right, one for each tree.
I disagree completely, as each build i listed is designed with a single purpose in mind. Could you get by with three? Sure, the same as you can get by with two. There are talents that are crucial for some builds that are useless in a same tree/different design build. Improved disciplines is great for a prot-survival build, yet serves little to no purpose in a prot-threat build. Second wind, useful in Arms-PvP, not so much in Arms-PvE. You may claim its marginal returns, but isn't that what min-maxing is about?

Hades
11-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Personally, I'd love a third spec. A DPS, Tank, and PVP spec would be phenominal, but it's that much more gold and gearing time. Besides, my DPS spec works fine for tearing it up in the BGS and open-world pvp. I don't have all the utility of an Unholy PVP build, but without a healer (And with plenty of tenacity unfortunately) I slaughtered like 15 horde before dying, then came back to do it again. YOU WON'T TAKE MY WORKSHOP, FILTHY GREENSKINS!! After the fight, I went heads-up with an Unholy PVP spec cowfase, and that was a hell of a fight, but in the end, I finally dropped him with like 5k HP left out of my 20k. That was a HUGE confidence booster.