PDA

View Full Version : Tanking mechanics question

Nahele
10-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Deathknight class and played a prot Warrior for three years before. Satorri's guide has helped me a lot, but I still got some trouble with handling the mechanic of a DK.

I usually start tanking a trash group with Death and Decay -> Icy Touch -> Plague Strike -> Pestilence. Now this burns all my runes within a few seconds and I have a gap of about 3-4 seconds with only enough runic power for one Death Coil.
Am I doing something wrong or is this normal to any Blood-Tank DK? I'm a bit concerned about not being able to use any selfhealing ability for such a long time but on the other side I also want to have nice little gap between my threat and the rest of the party members.

Petninja
10-25-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm no master of Blood DKs, but it seems if you DnD -> Blood Boil -> IT -> PS -> Pest you'd get that extra threat in on everything to start and probably that blood rune you just used on Blood boil before would be up by then anyway.

I might be wrong. I've never even tried tanking as a DK.

Wilhem
10-25-2009, 02:32 PM
That's normal for any DK. Don't worry about self healing for that amount of time, if a healer can't keep you up for 3 seconds then you need to be worrying about something completely different.

The only thing you should be worrying about at that point is your DPS pulling from you by AoEing. Once your runes are off CD, pop a Blood Boil and maybe a second Blood Boil to secure your aggro.

Esch
10-25-2009, 05:07 PM
You can also Blood Tap after your initial spam, and have a Blood Boil (plus more RP) to use. Furthermore, you can pop Horn of Winter for a bit more RP, even if you're already buffed. Furthermore, if you 'know' you aren't going to do another AoE pull for a bit, such as a boss, you can use Empowered Rune Weapon to completely refresh your runs, though it has a five min CD. Not something you want to use on 'every' pull, but figure a boss fight and looting will take ~five minutes.

Blood is meant mostly for single target DPS, making it trickier to generate frontloaded AoE threat. If you're having trouble and expect mostly AoE fights (ie, heroics), consider going to Frost (Howling Blast) instead. I carry Blood (Boss/single target) and Frost (AoE/Heroic) specs to fill those particular roles as needed in my raids.

For the record, Unholy falls in between Blood/Frost in terms of AoE threat, as Wandering Plague can generate a fair amount of AoE threat, especially on large pulls where it can proc more often on disease tics.

Nahele
10-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Thank you for your very informative answers :)
My fault was not using Blood Tap at all ... I just didn't recognise it.
I'm going to tank only in heroics (or maybe random raids but that is far away) because in my raid I will be a dmg dealer. I'll also give a frost tanking spec a try when I'm used to blood tanking.