PDA

View Full Version : Blood DK Tank: Ring and Trinket choices

Magicme
10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey guys,

Having recently switched from DPS to tanking I'm somewhat new to the whole tanking scene, and am having trouble choosing between a few rings / trinkets.

Currently I'm using Clutch of Fortification in one ring slot, but I can't decide between the Signified Ring of Binding (Ony 25 ring) and the Mark of the Relentless for the other slot.

Initially I thought the Signified Ring of Binding would be better, but a few of my more experienced tanking friends said to use the Mark of the Relentless. However, Rawr suggests that the ony 25 ring is quite a big upgrade. My 10man group is going to be trying ToGC soon, so I thought I better get it worked out soon.

I thought that the ony 25 ring would have higher EH than the Mark, which would make it better for tanking progression fights? I lose a bit of threat, but that shouldn't cause any problems.

My other question is specifically in turns of HP trinkets, does the proc on the Black Heart outway the constant stamina from a brewfest trinket? Initially I thought it wouldn't, but now I'm not so sure.

I know that different pieces of gear will be better for different things, but in the case of these items I figured there should be a pretty clear winner for what I'm needing to do (tank ToGC).

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Lerius
10-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Well for your question about the rings, the best choice for any tank would be Mark of the Relentless. It gives you a lot more bread and butter stats that most tanks need. It also gives you a socket for flexibility which makes it much superior. The only time I would recommend the Signified Ring of Binding would be if your struggling with defense cap. Other than that, Mark of the Relentless greatly outweighs the stats of the ring from onyxia.

A common misconception about gear is that, "if x item is a higher item level than it is better." This statement is not true. It all depends on your needs as a tank. The ring from onyxia is a good ring if your looking for stam and defense rating, but other than that, the res is completely useless. Take the trinkets from toc for example. Fervor of the frostborn gives you a crap load of dodge and some armour on use, but it is a pretty useless trinket considering the need for hp these days. Basically, blizzard doesnt make all gear in a streamline progression of item level. Some gear with lower ilevel can vastly can outgear higher level items.

For trinkets I like to roll with Black Heart. Some people would say that brewfest charm is better, but it only gets you and extra 46 stam. 460 hp on a 37k UB tank isn't very much. Considering that most bosses hit 25k+ hits, 46 stam is dwarfed by armour. The Black Heart procs about once a minute and gives you roughly a 5% damage reduction for 10 seconds. This can greatly help you in sticky boss situations such as gormok when you really need it. Some may argue but I prefer armour over stam. In the end it all comes out to preference. Some may prefer the extra hp buff, while other might roll with a defense buff in a pinch.

Overall dont examine gear on item level. The key to being a successful tank is by analyzing your own needs in stats. If you are unsure about something, go with something that will benefit you. If you are low in a certain area gear for it. It's easy as that.

Magicme
10-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Yeah I got sucked in by the ilvl thing for a little while. Most of the time I like having that little bit of extra stam, but the damage reduction on gormok was the exact reason I was thinking of using the black heart instead.

Thanks for the very informative reply :)

xordon
10-24-2009, 02:43 AM
Mark of the relentless has expertise and some avoidance stats, but no defense. It also has a good amount of stam if you gem for it.

The EH you would gain from the extra 800 armor on the ony ring would put you way ahead for physical damage. The resistances are situational, for example during the northrend beasts encounter, phase 1 you get no benefit, but phase 2 the worms breath and the debuff's are partially resistible, same with the arctic breath in phase 3. This ring also lacks any strength, hit or expertise so threat wise this brings you down quite a bit.

Which ring you should use really depends on what you want, more EH (vs physical and magical dmg) or more avoidance, stam and threat.

Azzazello
10-24-2009, 04:55 AM
How do you hold aoe aggro? 0 problems with single target threat, but aoe seems tricky

Magicme
10-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Maybe Ony ring for beasts at least then?

In regards to the AoE aggro, obviously with blood its not fantastic but you'll get it with practice. Its about knowing when you're going to need AoE and prepare for it. Unlike frost, we don't really have any fantastic "snap" aggro skills, so you want to have a DnD ready to place (or already down) and spread around diseases. I usually have my rogue friend (who I do most raids with) ToT and FoK, and those two usually hold it. If not, sometimes I'll just spread one disease around and (presuming death runes from previous death strikes) get an early blood boil in, and then just spam blood boil when I can.

It can be a bit tricky, but you'll get used to it and its not too bad, a lot better than what it used to be at least.