PDA

View Full Version : tanking/PvP spec

Toushiro
10-23-2009, 04:51 PM
ok well my DKs guild needs me to tank and well I like to PvP a lot, I was thinking of a spec along these lines

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0xZzgxzZfghc0bdgbu0bucqo:rMoVmM)

It gets the major tank talents and still gets some of the PvP talents like Desecration.

Bloodwraith
10-23-2009, 05:01 PM
The way I always saw these kind of specs is: Would you rather be good at one thing or mediocre at two?

Talents like Endless Winter are key for PvP but skipping that you will be gimping yourself having to apply both Icey Touch and Chains of Ice.

Satorri
10-24-2009, 05:33 AM
I'm not sure I follow, Blood, why apply IT and CoI? Or you mean in Pvp?

And Toushie, the spec hits the necessary survival points for sure, but you're going to be running it very close to the edge on threat. Lacking Bladed Armor, Desolation, and Necrosis will be a big big hit to threat.

So a couple small items first:
1.) Bladed Armor will surpass Black Ice for threat/damage if you're in Frost Pres. If you PvP in Frost Pres to find that middle ground, that is probably your better take, though I realize you're going for your fear break.

2.) Why Virulence? You don't need it for climbing, or I should say there are better choices for climbing, and in PvP I know you don't need the hit chance, yeah?

3.) Why RPM? I'm assuming you like Icy Reach for PvP rundowns.

My two major questions though:
1.) Are you tanking Naxx/Ulduar, or are we talking ToC hardmodes, etc?

2.) Are you PvP'ing in high level arenas or just for fun?

If the answer to 1 is lower level content, and you are well-geared, then the spec won't be much of an inhibition. If you're needed for serious content, the spec will be a major hurdle, and you should just be ponying up for two specs, one purely designed for each purpose. Especially if the answer to 2 is high level arenas. If you're just pvp'ing for fun and are trying to avoid buying a second spec, a tank spec works just fine. I pvp with one of my tank specs (usually Blood), and a mix of tanking, pvp, and dps gear. I am REALLY hard to kill, and I hurt people a lot, no strictly pvp-aimed talents required.

Bloodwraith
10-24-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure I follow, Blood, why apply IT and CoI? Or you mean in Pvp?

For Unholy PvP specs you generally use plague strike for blood plague and Chains of Ice for both a snare and frost fever. Without taking that your runes will be awkward to use. You would have an extra unholy rune just sitting there and be unable to use scourge strike after applying your diseases.