PDA

View Full Version : Which Yields Better Threat Gain?

Eravian
10-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Looking at the equipment set-up that I have now, The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kirin+Tor&n=Eravian), I'm trying to decide which will net me a better increase increase in my threat generation: the Faceplate of the Honorbound or Wrynn's Greathelm of Conquest? Naturally the Honorbound is a higher ilvl, but both pieces will give better EH and survivability than my current helm, and I'm wondering if the extra block value + the 4-set bonus will lend itself to higher threat generation? Normally I don't worry about threat gen, but for some reason last night in Ulduar I was having some threat issues on Ignis, and it got me thinking maybe I should try to improve it a bit (on average it was about 5.8 to 5.9k tps, up to 6.2 or 6.3k if I put on a slower dps sword).

I'm currently Hit capped, and just shy of Expertise soft capped, although that can be fixed if Mark of the Relentless ever drops, or any number of tank items with Expertise... either way, what's the verdict? Is the Honorbound better hands-down, and I should just use the Vigilance Glyph for added threat if it's ever needed, or does the Conquest helm have it's niche in my current set-up? I appreciate the advice.

Aethelas
10-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Alas I haven't run the numbers on the 4 set bonus, threat wise. Survival wise even with the critical block buff the 4 set warrior bonus doesn't hold itself together all that well. I've opted to go for the offset (TotC 25) pieces with loads of expertise on them. Personally I'm having way better returns in threat and damage output when taking avoidance, over block value. Simply put - expertise increases all your physical attacks (eg, all but shockwave, thunderclap and demo shout).

If you want to put a pure blockvalue set together there's better options than the Tier 9 tokens out there!

swelt
10-23-2009, 07:06 AM
If threat is your concern, you'd be better switching your glyph of blocking into a glyph of devastate than worrying about your choice of helm.

Generally speaking, I rate the awesome Honorbound helm above the equivalent tier item, and if I read you right you'd only have access to the 232 helm, making the difference even more pronounced.

Eravian
10-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Yeah, it's possible I could get a Trophy, but our raid attendance of late has been down a bit, making our 25-mans usually a no-go for the past few weeks. :-(

That's probably what I'll do, then, especially since I was originally planning to get the Honorbound helm anyway, seeing as it has very good itemization. I just started thinking about the T9 set bonus in relation to threat, and got curious. Thanks for the input!