PDA

View Full Version : How do I approach and solve the following Guild issue?

Venom Rush
10-23-2009, 04:10 AM
Hi guys/gals

First off I'd just like to say that we're raiding Ulduar10 and starting to raid ToC10 to get some indication of whether we can do it or not.

Last night I went into ToC10 with 9 other guildies (most of whom have been there once or twice before). Needless to say we wiped 3-4 times on Gormok, never getting past him. The reason being that the healers were being stunned by the snobolds. DPS weren't focused on killing them and there were up to 3 active on each attempt.

Now down to what my problem is. The person leading the raid last night fills in for our guild leader when our guild leader can't make the raid. He has no idea how to lead a raid because:

1.) He didn't give the healers any healing assignments even after numerous calls for it by me and the healers.

2.) He made the assumption that I (the OT) was partly the problem because I'd never been there AND the healers were the other part of the problem because us tanks were dying. He made no attempt to analyze what was causing the wipes. He didn't even bother talking to the healers to find out what was happening.

3.) He assigns himself as the MT for the run. He has 33k hp unbuffed along with other acceptable stats BUT he is sitting on 532 defense o.O I've approached him twice before and even given him advice as to what he can do to get 540 defense yet he makes no effort to get there.

Now after all the wipes he calls for a 30min break so he can have dinner (this isn't unusual as it happens in most of our guild raids but am I the only one that thinks this is nuts??? If you're planning to raid have dinner before the raid)

Then when he gets back from having dinner he decides to start an entirely new raid without me or the healers that were there for the first few wipes and a few replacement dps.

I enjoy being in my guild but the way raiding is being dealt with is ludicrous. I've been playing WoW for 5+ years and this is the first time I've encountered this sort of raid leading.

So yes, this is what I have to deal with and I'd like some advice from you all on how to deal with this.

Mačl
10-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Bail out. Now.

You could try to fix this situation but the milk has been spilled. The healers are pissed off you are pised off. If that idiot doesn't leave the guild it will go poof.

He has issues that run very deep and you will have to ask yourself if you really want to fix him or have fun in a game.

Bail out. Now.

Ryoku
10-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Well I would say approach him and tell him what is bothering you about his leading style and in case he doesn't react bring it up to the guild leader. There is of course always the option that you start raid leading.

Venom Rush
10-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Well I would say approach him and tell him what is bothering you about his leading style and in case he doesn't react bring it up to the guild leader. There is of course always the option that you start raid leading.
I plan on talking to our guild leader about it but I somehow think it wont pan out the way I'd like it to.

I spoke to "said person" after he dropped me from the raid. Needless to say he's stubborn and not making an effort to get 540 defense further proves how stubborn he is (or perhaps lazy).

Mačl
10-23-2009, 04:25 AM
You can't fix him and I guess he is in a key position and if you force the decision wether he or you will leave it's going to be you.

He has pissed off one of the tanks and the healers and that is a very poisonous situation. Getr rid of him or leave. You can't fix what he has done.

Xianth
10-23-2009, 04:29 AM
This guy sounds terrible. You have to ask youself why he is the stand in raid leader when he doesn't even know the basics of his class (Not even defense capped for ToC?!) and AFKs mid raid for food. You either need to approach your GMs on the issue or leave the guild. If the GMs are hostile in response then I would definately leave - even though you would expect some form of minor favouritism towards friends of the core, you still shouldn't be expect somebody so incredibly incompetent to be put in such a position of power and then be defended for his idiocy.

I will say though that in 10 mans it is better for healers to sort healing between themselves - at your level it's safer to work to each others strengths and weaknesses than expect guidance from some who has the L tag with masterlooter and thinks that's all raid leading involves. It's easy too when there's only 2/3 of you.

Shortypop
10-23-2009, 04:38 AM
In one word "carefully", I'd voice your concerns which to me can be split into two - one concerns the tank and the other how the guild operates. I'll focus on the second - your GM may not realise, although after last night I'd be surprised if you were the only one upset, what raids are like without him. Suggestions including, even when he is there getting healers to sort out (with input from him and tanks obviously) healing assignments, making other peaple pro-active will help a lot both when he is there and when he isn't.

The "going afk for dinner" suggest to me that the guild was not built around a set of fixed rules regarding raid times, perhaps the time has come to implement some? I know waiting around is what gets me the most irritated by a long way.

Keep as calm as possible and be constructive - maybe target a couple of things - which wold greatly improve yours and other guildies raid experiences, rather than loads.

**hug**

Kuraf
10-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Can you please provide link for his armory? Could he be using resilience to make up for the missing defense?

Regarding the leading, I would try to approach him carefully as mentioned by Shortypop and really try to follow his advice (calm and constructive comments). If that doesn't work, repeat same process with the GM.

Regarding the snowbolds, when a caster gets a snobold we usually move next to the boss so that melee classes don't have to run away from boss and then back and just aoe it down.

Mačl
10-23-2009, 05:14 AM
What became of Blizz not wanting Resilience to work in PvE? At all? Wasn't that scheduled for the last patch? Am I missing something?

Kuraf
10-23-2009, 05:17 AM
What became of Blizz not wanting Resilience to work in PvE? At all? Wasn't that scheduled for the last patch? Am I missing something?

As far as I remember, it was just increased... so you need more resi than u did before. May be wrong tho...

EDIT:

Resilience: No longer reduces the amount of damage done by damage-over-time spells, but instead reduces the amount of all damage done by players by the same proportion. In addition, the amount of resilience needed to reduce critical strike chance, critical strike damage and overall damage has been increased by 15%.

Venom Rush
10-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Can you please provide link for his armory? Could he be using resilience to make up for the missing defense?

Regarding the leading, I would try to approach him carefully as mentioned by Shortypop and really try to follow his advice (calm and constructive comments). If that doesn't work, repeat same process with the GM.

Regarding the snowbolds, when a caster gets a snobold we usually move next to the boss so that melee classes don't have to run away from boss and then back and just aoe it down.
To keep guild peace I'll refrain from posting his armory link for now...if I can't get the problem sorted out I'll post it (purely for viewing purposes, not in spite ;) )

Kuraf
10-23-2009, 05:23 AM
To keep guild peace I'll refrain from posting his armory link for now...if I can't get the problem sorted out I'll post it (purely for viewing purposes, not in spite ;) )

Was mainly asking the armory link to check gear/resi that he has. Maybe you could provide that info then?

He sits at 530ish def and 0 resi?

Bishoptwo
10-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Get out nao!

Venom Rush
10-23-2009, 05:35 AM
Was mainly asking the armory link to check gear/resi that he has. Maybe you could provide that info then?

He sits at 530ish def and 0 resi?
He's sitting at 532 defense and 0 resilience

Fledern
10-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Well, you have to consider several points.

a) Why is he the stand-in guy? Is it because he's the favorite or because noone else can be arsed to take it up? If it's the first, get out now, if it's the latter, now's a good time to step up to it.

b) OK he didnt arrange healing. Did you? If you're part of the tank team, you should be talking to your healers too. personal like. Do that and it'll be him going splat not you. Talk to your paladins about HoP too for example. Make sure your play is 100% perfect before pointing fingers at somebody else

c) Record the combat log, upload it to World of Logs or something similar, do analyses and THEN approach the guild leader. Btw, always remember, approaching people in management positions with just the problems and zero ideas on possible solutions is BAD. You should go to the guildleader with either you or somebody else as a possible raidleader. Better still, go with more than one option. Or, go with a combat plan, how to tackle bosses, how to fix whatever was going wrong in those fights you recorded etc.

I agree with the previous statements and it's probably too late to fix anything between him and the rest of the raid. But before calling it quits & looking for a new place, it'd be a really good idea to try your hand at doing the best to fix it. It sounds to me like the problems wont get fixed and you'll have to leave anyway but at least you wont look like an asshole that quit at the first sign of trouble. If you do a good job, a lot of the good people in the guild may even follow you where you go so you get to keep the company too.