PDA

View Full Version : hit rating as MT

Xcercs
10-23-2009, 03:11 AM
As a paladin main tank for all guild 10man content and now starting 10 man heroic totc

now after the last discussion over is t9 worth it i bought the items and now gemming and enchanting as stam as much as poss.

the main concern that we have as a guild run now is hit cap

so many pala tanks and even war i spoke to who are tanking the heroic versions are goign in with about half hit rating needed to be hit capped, now when i first started tankng it was driven into all itemization points that hit rating is massive untill capped then pointless now it seems hit rating is completely passed on and just this thirst for as much hp as possible

i guess my big question is as a pala MT how important is it to keep at hit capped ?

Tengenstein
10-23-2009, 05:09 AM
as a warrior i tanked 4/5 of totc25 last night with 71hit rating. its really not that important aslong as you can keep ahead of the DPS on threat. But as a warrior i have lonly 3 abilities that roll off spell hit.

However this does mean you really need to have a glyph of taunt (the pally equivalent) available so you don't balls up a tankswap, but then again pallies have two taunts so the chance of both of them missing is prolly quite low.

in ulduar you could be Hit capped straight off the gear, and gem for survival. in toc you can't be hit capped from gear, but you still need to gem for survival.

Mert
10-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Yeah, for us Hit is mainly for consistent threat rather than TPS. With zero Hit Rating you should still connect with ~92% of your melee attacks, so from a threat point of view it isn't the hugest issue.

You also have an 83% for your taunt to land first time. You have a 97.1% chance of one of Hand of Reckoning or Righteous Defense landing, which can be reduced further by using the Glyph of Righteous Defense.

In terms of TPS, Strength will give you more threat per point than Hit, right up until you have around 2900 Block Value, so if keeping on top of the DPS is your concern then you'd be best focussing your efforts there.

Therefore, the only reason you'd prioritise Hit outside of what comes on gear is if you were worried that your threat fluctuated too much as being hit capped will smooth it out greatly. But if you're at the point where you're decked out in Tier 9 and assuming you're doing 969 correctly, I can't see you having threat issues - the 200 Strength Libram is a great piece if you're worried but even that probably isn't necessary.

Xcercs
10-23-2009, 06:56 AM
ok many think ill make a link in guild forums directing people to this thread a to back up when i turn up in t9 and lower hit