PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior needs help tweeking toon.

Walinrador
10-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey here is a link to my toon

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Durotan&n=Walinrador)

Basically I got told to switch to dps tonight on 25 man ToGC beasts because the healers feel my toon is too squishy. I have all epic gems but not straight stam gems because I wanted to have a bit more mitigation and socket bonuses. This resulted in about a 3k difference in health between the DK tank and myself.

I am saving up money to switch to JC for an extra 630 health and I figure with all stam gems thats and extra 1k health. I didn't think 1.6k would make a huge different especially when you are losing mitigation but I might be wrong.

Please feel free to correct anything else you might see wrong.

Thanks
Walin

Youkai
10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Could be that the healers read some fancy guide somewhere giving some odd minimum req. for health. From the looks of it, your fine. Not losing out on that much stamina by gemming like you did, some 30-40 stamina? Which isn't the end of the world!

I heard though, that the encounters are best handled with a effective health set which mean more stamina gems/enchants and less dodge/defense ones.

Shortypop
10-22-2009, 12:11 AM
You've got about 400hp unbuffed less than I did when I tanked TogC beasts 25man for the first time this week. It may be tight but you should be able to live through P1 (P2 isn't bad if you don't tank the enraged worm), the main thing is about timing your cooldowns, taunts and getting outside cooldowns if needed - having said that it depends if the other tanks do have "better" gear or "worse" dps gear then go dps :) It's not clear from your post if you do a 2 tank or 3 tank strat and also have your healers actually tried healing you on heroic beasts or is the "too squishy" complaint a general one?

Every 1hp helps a lot on this fight, but as long as you don't take the last rotation and have pro-active healers, debuffers, outside and internal cooldowns you should be OK.

Aethelas
10-22-2009, 03:35 AM
your gear seems better than my own for when I first tanked ToGC heroic. For me the trick to relatively comfortably tanking Gormok was to have over 50k buffed health. (browsing through the combatlog that seemed an attainable number of HP that would give my healers time to land a heal)

How I do it: We rotate 3 tanks for the encounter and I felt best with popping the extra health from 'satrina's impending scarab' the 2nd time I'm tanking him and popping last stand the 3rd round. you can always time it so that you'll be able to start tanking it with shield block active. (and in your case I'd use the on use dodge from heart of iron after that). I also take an indestructible potion to be on the safe side of things...

Thundergnome
10-22-2009, 07:16 AM
I believe you may have too many dodge/stam gems (as well as def/stam gems) which can be replaced by straight stam gems. Going for the socket bonus isn't worth it in some cases.
Your gear is good and provides plenty of dodge.. gemming for it additionally may be a waste (see diminishing returns).
Also, you may want to replace 10stats on chest with 275HP

Griff
10-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Gear looks fine but stacking stam for Northrend Beasts is definitely a viable option. There's a ton of damage that just can't be avoided so having an extra health margin for healers can be an effective strategy.

How many stacks are you guys eating during rotations? Are you using cooldowns for the second and third stack taunt rotations? Are you using indestructable pots?

One thing I did notice was that you are running a threat spec - you might want to consider a mitigation spec with improved demo.