PDA

View Full Version : What should I change, if anything?

gundecker
10-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Please take a look at my wowarmory link: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronzebeard&n=Bearlicious)

Tell me if I should change anything.

Also, I am looking for a talent spec that generates a lot more threat then the one I'm currently using. Any ideas on this would be great and much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Thundergnome
10-22-2009, 07:38 AM
1. You are below the expertise softcap which means you're losing a quite a bit of threat right there and then by way of dodges and parries... need to get that up to 26 ASAP. Being being under the cap you've also left a big window for parry gib if you're planning to tank raid bosses.

2. You've got waaaay to much hit rating. I dont know if you're trying to itemize for hit, but you don't need it and should replace that gear with items which are itemized for either avoidance and/or expertise.

3. Don't gem for dodge or parry, and dont gem for defense unless you really need it to hit the 540 cap. These stats will be provided through your gear in great quantity. Unless you are trying to fulfill meta requirements, just gem for straight stam and/or expertise.

4. Your spec is OK, however for additional threat you may consider taking 3 points out of Shield Specialization and put them into Incite.
Your threat trouble may also be from a issue with your rotation?
Use SS (esp. with shield block popped), Revenge, Concussive Blow every possible cooldown. Use heroic strike every gcd (you can especially spam it on boss fights where you have unlimited rage)

Hope that helps!

gundecker
10-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Thundergnome,

I eat a food buff to put me at a 27 expertise skill rating, which is 1 point over the soft cap.

Also, as far as having too much hit, I keep my hit rating fairly high as I do not raid with a competent guild that will use rogues to put their tricks of the trade on me or hunters with MD. Therefore, I try to keep my hit high as sometimes in PUGs, threat can go all over the place. I have heard that I can drop hit well below the 8% mark. However, in doing so, it's best to have hunters and rogues in the raid group...which isn't always the case.

I gem for parry and dodge as I have not came across any other gear that will allow me to gem for straight stamina or expertise. I just make do with what I got.

Does incite make a huge different with threat??

By the way, thanks for the input!!

Thaak
10-28-2009, 02:36 AM
Thundergnome,

I eat a food buff to put me at a 27 expertise skill rating, which is 1 point over the soft cap.

Also, as far as having too much hit, I keep my hit rating fairly high as I do not raid with a competent guild that will use rogues to put their tricks of the trade on me or hunters with MD. Therefore, I try to keep my hit high as sometimes in PUGs, threat can go all over the place. I have heard that I can drop hit well below the 8% mark. However, in doing so, it's best to have hunters and rogues in the raid group...which isn't always the case.

I gem for parry and dodge as I have not came across any other gear that will allow me to gem for straight stamina or expertise. I just make do with what I got.

Does incite make a huge different with threat??

By the way, thanks for the input!!

8% Hit rating is the CAP. That means that over 8% it is completely wasted (except taunt and TC cause they work off spell hit, but thats different). So at the VERY least, you want to attempt to get just below 8%. Realistically you can drop lower than that. I run 5-6% normally.

As for your rogues and hunters, if they won't tricks/MD you, let them die <shrug> they'll learn fast enough. Call them out on it too.

As for your gemming, whats forcing you to gem dodge/parry instead of stam? You aren't required to match socket bonuses, so I don't understand what you mean there.

And yes, Incite does make a difference if you're spamming HS the way you should be. 15% crit on HS means more damage/threat + more Deep Wounds procs = more damage/threat.

Dragaan
10-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Yea, i'd say drop the avoidance gems (and shoulder enchant possibly) and get more stam. I don't know what content you are trying to tank or what your current issues are (if any) with survival, but overall your avoidance seems a bit high for your gear level and your hp is a bit low. If you are worried about threat, spec 15/5/51 (or a variation such as 15/3/51, which I prefer).

Also, since you just seem to want advice on your gear/spec in general, I'd say get tuskarr's on your boots (15stam and speed) instead of 22stam. The 8% speed you gain is far better on most fights than 7stamina. Most raiding guilds require the majority of their raid to have a run speed enchant on their boots and the tank is no exception.

Thundergnome
10-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Looks like the previous two posters beat me to it...

Hit rating is not as important for you for threat generation as expertise is. You should be fine with hit rating well below the hit cap even if you are not getting MD'd or tricks while keeping expertise high.

You don't necessarily need to go for socket bonuses every time. I believe the rule of thumb is unless the socket bonus gives you at least +9 stamina don't bother trying to gem for it.
Go for straight stam and stam/expertise gems. Most of the T9 (and equivalent) gear pretty much blue and red sockets anyway, so nothing to worry about there.

Yes, Incite helps quite a bit. The more you crit with your abilities the more threat you will generate.

gundecker
11-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys!!! I have heard of dropping hit way below the hit cap just as long as you're glyphed for it and hunters and rogues put up MD's and tricks. That's not always the case with me. However, I'm in a guild now so it should be much better.

So basically, I should replace all my gems with straight stam gems? And enchant for expertise? My expertise sits just above the 26 cap with my food buffs. Should I am to have it a bit higher to help with threat?

Thundergnome
11-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Your question is already answered in previous posts...