PDA

View Full Version : Prot war question

RiftChaos
10-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Ok guys im a little confused with some of the caps for Prot tanking, i know i need to be at 26 exp for dodge cap, but i have been gemming for hit.
Am i wasting my time with hit, im not using pure hit gems im using 10hit 15 stam and so far around 5.7% which is around 190 i think, (as i believe to soft cap is 6%)
I cant link my armory cause im loged out in my dps gear.
But as i said im exp capped i have seen other prot wars with alot less hit than i use.
Any advice is welcome

krc
10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
When it comes to hit just leave it alone unless you are having threat problems which you most likely aren't if you are using a proper rotation, especially in ToC where this is almost not hit on any of the gear, trying to get hit capped if you are doing ToC will greatly gimp your survival options.

Manginae
10-21-2009, 05:05 PM
I mean i have about 44 exp, and i try to get my hc up before the exp cap.

TBH i would suggest trying to get the soft cap, or slightly above it, Kepping in mind the Draine (i cant spell that :) ) 1% extra for HR

The reasons are if i miss my Shield Slam at the start. (Only happened in 1 time in 2 years)

or TAUNTS (taunts in H toc missed = wipe, unless i have mocking or challenging up. So Hc not up to par is bad. You can compensate with the taunt glyph and be perfectly fine though imo.

HP and armor are tops for me then HC then exp. But not Hc if it takes away from the first two.

RiftChaos
10-21-2009, 06:04 PM
i have no threat problems ever, geared with 9.25 and heroic gear for 10 man togc.
Just wanted to make sure if i get rid of my hit gems and go for stam or avoidance im not going to suffer in my threat rotation by missing alot.

Kabonk
10-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Why bother with gemming for threat if you aren't having threat issues?
One thing to note here: Getting the taunt glyph will become even more mandatory for some encounters than it is already.

Fledern
10-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Sort of hijacking the threat with this but i really need to get the qq off.

I need to spec & glyph my shieldwall & last stand to match the natural cooldowns of other tanks. That leaves me a single glyph to customise. Then we get crappy gear with low hit and miss-and-you-die taunting requirements so even that last spot goes to the taunt glyph.

Am i the only one who thinks this is just wrong?

Eek
10-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Check out my armory, and my glyphs. Depending on the fight I tend to swap glyph of blocking and glyph of taunt. I have no problems 98.43% of the time. I also made a thread here on how to improve threat, I do about 7k average tps nowadays.

Bovinity
10-23-2009, 04:36 PM
I need to spec & glyph my shieldwall & last stand to match the natural cooldowns of other tanks.

I'm not sure I follow your logic there.

Jasontoric
10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
its to bring shield wall to the same cd length to the equivilants from other classes

Gorbachop
10-24-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm pretty sure he knows why you would spec and glyph for 2 minute SW/LS. The disconnect is in why he feels it necessary to do so just to match the cooldowns of a DK. Just because you can glyph for 2min SW/LS doesn't mean you have to or even should in most cases.

This is the great thing about glyphs; they are pretty cheap and you can swap them out anytime, anywhere. I carry a stack of every glyph I might potentially use and swap them out almost every fight (in ToGC). Unless the fight requires you to use LS and SW every 2 minutes there is no need to glyph for them (and I would argue that no fight in ToGC does except Anub single tank adds (where I use SW glyph, but not LS)). Don't paint yourself in a corner by thinking you need to have a 2 min SW/LS just because a DK does.

To the OP: If you really need the hit for threat then gem for it, though I don't see that it would be necessary. There is hardly any hit on the ToC gear but there is tons of expertise. I have 57 hit rating(with a 10hit/15stam gem and accuracy) and 58 expertise skill (which is over the hard cap). Expertise is still going to be a better stat for not hitting over hit rating with the exception of Taunt. When you can't live with a Taunt miss just glyph for it (which I do on Beasts hm).