PDA

View Full Version : New to the tanking word but been a tanks best friend a pocket holy paladin. Help

Croach
10-20-2009, 04:11 PM
So where to begin, I guess a short intro. I have always played a holy paladin and gathered tanking gear through what i like to call scrap. (Gear that the tank didnt want.) I tanked for heroics and did kara in bc but thats about it. I healed up to Supremus in BT. Anyway.

I quit playing wow about a week to 2weeks after lich came out and recently came back and lvled to 80 etc. I want to learn how to tank and be a great tank so far the farthest ive raid into lich is 25 man naxx 9/15. Sadly i havent done any other 25 or 10 man raid yet. I love raiding and it seems now a less and less need for holy paladins. SO my option now is to learn how to tank.

I searched around google and decided to leave a message here hoping to find some ray of hope and guidence. I know in bc tanking was easy get def cap then block cap. If thats not the case any pointers.

Please when giving advice put it barney style, i dont understand the terms of tanking for example what the hell is a sink tank.

Other questions as aggro control

cast senquence (I' ve always played with very few macros because i love the challenge, thats why i played a holy paly and not a priest etc.) When 5 or 6 ppl are getting hit and you only have single target heals its the best feeling in the world to pull through with no one dieing etc. Of course you always get the dps that ask why he died when he cant control his aggro and i simple say "cause im not a priest"

as far as gear:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Halls&cn=Lastdrknight&gn=Hells+Rebellion (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Halls&cn=Lastdrknight&gn=Hells+Rebellion)

I was thinking of using the 45 def rating exiler to swap out some def raiting gems for stam or stam and dodge since dodge is my highest avoidence... thing maybe hit rating idk need your help

I apprieciate all the help that i can get. I hate feeling like a noob again and i know that my raiding experences dont match up to most of those who read this, but hey thats why im asking you.

* side note sorry for my poor grammer never went to college, joined the Marines. And i havent taken the Grammer for Marines MCI yet. *

Also i may be looking to switch servers so if anyone is interstest or needing my well healing skills let me know.

play times mon-wed & Fri 4am-11am est
thur 8am -11am est
Sat - Sun: anytime really if u need for raid (dedication or addiction you pick)

Lerius
10-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Well your gear isnt too bad for a new tank. Things I would suggest is replacing your boots and pants to get full epic gear. I would alos suggest ditching icebane chestguard as it doesnt give you any stats that you need as a tank (D rating, dodge, expertise...) It was a good piece when WOTLK first came out, but today it is a useless piece of gear that detracts from your other stats.

A good chestpiece that you can get that you dont need to raid for is the wyrmrest accord vendor Breastplate of the Solemn Council. It gives a load of defense rating and stamina which you need right now. If that is too hard for you I would suggest running heroics every day to save up for the T 8.5 chestpiece as that will stay with you until you start running very high level raids such as ToC.

The also noticed you dont have any shoulder, cloak, or head enchants. A good place to start is by farming Argent Crusade Rep to get the Arcanum of the Stalwart protector. I believe you need revered which isnt too bad to get if you do the entire quest chain in Icecrown. It is by far the best head enchant in WOTLK. You can also get a shoulder enchant that gives you 30 stam and some resilience that will help you with your defense rating problem. It costs 10k honor in SW. 16 Defense rating on your cloak will also help you with hitting the cap.

I also recommend running Normal ToC to get The Black Heart. It is a great trinket that won't be replaced anytime soon. And with the ability to farm ToC 5 times an hour, it is very easy to get even for the unlucky.

The last thing I reccommend is changing you talents around. Talents such as Benediction and Persuit of Justice seem pretty pointless to me. I am a warrior, but I would reccommend reading up on some Paladin talent build guides to examine what is best as it is not my area of expertise. Basically you want talents that 1. Increase threat 2. Increase EH / Survivability 3. Give you more tanking flexibility

All of that seems like a lot to do, but tanking is hard work especially in the early period. Just work on progressing through raids and doing your research. Nobody becomes a tank magically =)

Niian
10-20-2009, 08:13 PM
First up, change your spec.
You're missing way too many important prot talents.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Frostmourne&n=Niian&group=1)

Run ToC normal as Lerius said. You can even do HoL normal to get Seal of the Pantheon - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36993)
Purchase Libram of the Sacred Shield - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45145#sold-by) as soon as you can, to replace your current Libram.
Icebane Chestguard isn't the best, see if you can get in Naxx 25 or an Uld 10 to get the Tier 8 chest.

Generally unless a socket bonus is 9+ stam don't bother trying to match gems. If you need a red gem get Agi+Stam.
You don't want to rely on a potion to keep you def capped either.

Make sure you're following the 969 rotation for tanking.

The basics behind 6969 rotation is that ShoR and HotR are both 6 second cooldowns, with your other 3 main abilities, Cons Judge and HS, being 9 seconds or there abouts.

Without the other spells inbetween it looks something like this:
(Shor) _____ (HotR) _____(Shor) _____ (HotR) _____

With the other spells:
Judge (ShoR) HS (HotR) Consc (ShoR) Judge (HotR) HS (ShoR) Consc (HotR) ...

I find it easier to visualise it, instead of just writing it down.

Zothor
10-21-2009, 07:00 AM
No, no guys, FIRST off, you're crazy if you don't think there's a need for Holy Paladins these days. Not only do you get access to no-compete drops, holy paladins are STUPENDOUSLY OVERPOWERED in the current content. Every TOC/HTOC fight save faction champs has predictable incoming damage on 2 targets. Beacon FTW. If you like being holy I guarentee you people will find space for you, especially if you're the considerate type who specs imp wisdom/imp might.

If you seriously want to tank though, the above posters have given you some very good information. Of particular note, respec. Now. Your spec is appallingly bad. The spec Niian linked you is just fine, and for your purposes is almost exactly what you should do. The following four points are optional (from his spec: Divine Sacrifice, Reckoning, Benediction. You need (to get up to the talents you need) 3 of those lower prot points and one of those lower ret points. Flavor personal choices in prot include:

DS/DG for raid offtanking
DS/Imp HoJ for faster stun/interrupt
DS/Reck for some threat and that extra raid shieldwall
3/5 reck for max threat, even though it's weak overall

As for the one point in ret, it really couldn't matter less where you put it. Judgement 2/2 if you want faster add pickup (it won't help your rotation boss tanking), benediction if you want a teensy bit of extra mana, or 1/2 imp might if you're doing lots of pugs and find yourself having to buff might instead of kings.

Edit: Oh, get Glyph of Seal of Vengeance, NOW. Replace either HotR or Judgement, your choice. SoV and Divine Plea glyphs are non-optional.

DStrief
10-21-2009, 12:46 PM
I want to be a good tank. I sure could use some advice on technique. also which buffs are best for me when tanking. any advice greatly appreciated. tksvm

Gonglaohu

Niian
10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
From yourself, always Sanc. 10% stam and str plus the damage reduction is compulsory.
When tanking always use seal of veng/corruption, and make sure you have the glyph that gives you 10 expertise when the seal is up.

I wouldn't bother getting reckoning tbh, I chucked spare points in there to see what benefit there would be from getting it, and the answer is not much.
The one point in benediction was to enable the third tier in ret, no point putting it in judgement as it will always be off CD if you're following 969 with just 1 point.

As for technique, everyone plays differently. Personally I don't bother with holy shield at the start, I go for instant threat before putting it up. Can end up with pancaked paladin, but if the healers are ready to start healing then it ensures the DPS don't get squashed.
Pull with hand of reckoning then throw your shield. Now that HoR does damage it's pretty awesome for getting a little bit more threat on a target, not to mention it's force focussed on your for a specific time.
Once you've started the pull hit any extra mobs with what ever you have to get agro then focus on the main target. Ensure nothing is hitting from behind (easiest way is to walk backwards until everything is directly infront, for me I have to toggle walk as my lag makes the server predict I stop further back than I actually do)
After that it's just down to your rotation, occasionally having to taunt a mob back to you that the DPS are hitting by accident, or what not.