PDA

View Full Version : gear/talent advice?

jprich
10-19-2009, 11:21 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draka&n=Nyorai)

All gear purchased or made. The eyepatch is for questing ( i like the look ). Normally I use this (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45107).

I leveled to 80 on my own and only did a few pugs. Got a couple guildies & friends about to hit 80 so going to start running 5 mans to get some real experience soon. Ive tanked regular UK ( at 80 mind you ), Direbrew & HH ( again nothing hard ). Once I get up to speed, Im guessing I should do the usual Naxx then on to bigger and better? Im a fish out of water as I was ( and still am ) a console gamer. This whole group mentality takes a while to get your head round.

MellvarTank
10-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I can't check out the gear yet, but all I can say is run heroics to get your emblems and purchase the gear with the emblems. Once you are "decked out", then I would look at venturing into Naxx/OS/EoE (not for gear) but to learn how raid encounters play out.

Make sure your Defense is 540 before you attempt Heroics. Start with UK/Nexus/AN and keep moving upward. Get your tabards to start farming rep with the factions for enchants.

Strit
10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
What is the question? If it's something like: "How should I get more gear? Or what gear should I get? How do I get experience in groups?" You just answered your own questions.
Do some 5-mans. Then do some Heroics. Then do some Naxx, and yes after that it's opn to bigger and better things. :)

Your gear should be suffecient enough for naxx, but you need to learn how to work in a group, hence the group suggestions before you go naxx. Learn how to work together with your healer. Learn how to manage your threat and how your abilities work.

Aggathon
10-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Make sure your Defense is 540 before you attempt Heroics. Start with UK/Nexus/AN and keep moving upward. Get your tabards to start farming rep with the factions for enchants.

Actually you only need 536 for heroics. The helm you linked is more of a dps helm. You also should really try to find a better sword. I think there is a titansteel sword you can use for tanking, otherwise I'd say go for the Red Sword of Courage from H-UP (I think it's UP, it might be UK, I forget).

Since you are under 536(and obviously 540) I'd recommend gemming for defense, then stam. Though if you're doing heroics exp or hit might not be TERRIBLE, but I'd still go with defense and stam until you're at at least 540 then go with lots of stam. Pick 1 red gem to meet the meta requirement, probably exp/stam or dodge/stam.

Another thing that can help is the PvP shoulder enchant. You can buy it at the stormwind honor vendors for 10,000 honor. It's 30stam/15 resil. The resil does work towards uncrittable (the reason you want to be at 536 for level 82 mobs[heroics] and 540 for level 83 mobs[raids]) and so you can actually be at 532 defense for heroics and 536 defense for raids and still but uncritable.

Try and run HToC5 and ToC5 normal every day. They drop some really good start up gear including the black heart from ToC5 normal. Do the daily heroic to start gathering triumph badges and the conquest badges can get you some nice things too along with rep from various factions.

H-Voilet Hold drops some pants that would be a good upgrade. So does maly25 if you do that.

If any crafted gear is free game (and seeing as how you have the chest piece of the white knight I'm guessing getting crusader orbs isn't a problem) then you should pick up the saronite swordbreakers. They're pretty much the BiS bracers (there's 1 slightly better but probably a ways off for you to get).

Also you don't have to put a gem of every color in the correct spot and go for every socket bonus.

Enchants look solid.

nethervoid
10-19-2009, 04:17 PM
*Disclaimer - All references to ToC 5 man are either regular or heroic, unless explicitly mentioned - I can't remember sometimes which drops from what lol*

*H ToC 5 man requires about 30-32k health to tank reliably IIRC*

Since threat shouldn't be a problem until late or post Ulduar, your basic idea should be:

1. Get to 540 def
2. Get as much stam in as many places possible

With that in mind, I would:

- Get a tanking helm - You can get one from ToC 5 man
- Rethink your gem in the neck - I would probably put def/something else in there until you have more def from gear
- Replace chest enchant with super health
- Regem chest
-- If you want the bonus:
--- Regem the +20 exp with +Exp/+Stam purple or a +dodge/+stam purple - Personally I would use dodge/stam until you need more threat
- Sword had error for me in armory - I would get the Peacekeeper Blade out of H ToC 5 man - Put a +20 def gem in to get the bonus
- Get The Black Heart trinket from reg ToC - +126 stam plus armor on proc - really great trinket - pretty rare drop rate (too bad brewfest is over - those trinks are insane +170 stam ea!)
- I actually like the boots out of Reg ToC better than the ones you have on - they give 47 def rating and a little more stam - Plus block value is pretty crap except on specific fights - If you do get the boots (same ones I have on in my armory) make sure you keep those for a block set in case you ever do like H ToC 25m Anub'Arak add tanking or something
- Change boot enchant to +22 stam - Warriors don't really need to run fast - We have charge and intervene
- Legs - Big upgrade out of Reg ToC - Same pants I'm wearing
- Belt - I'd probably stack stam gems in this puppy - All stam
- Drop the threat enchant on the gloves and instead put on a +18 stam leatherworking kit
- Regem gloves with a +30 stam gem if it's a red socket - If yellow put a +10 def/+15 stam in there - Enduring Eye of Zul

Hope this helps

Edit - Oh also work on your conquest and triumph badges - Getting T8.5 helm and T9 gloves, shoulders will blow you up pretty big

Aggathon
10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
- Change boot enchant to +22 stam - Warriors don't really need to run fast - We have charge and intervene

I firmly disagree with this but I supposed we are all entitled to our opinions.

nethervoid
10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Well your firm disagreement actually made me think a bit, and I actually agree. Giving up 7 stam for a run buff is a good idea. Especially with all the bosses that need to be moved all over the damn place.

Niian
10-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Well your firm disagreement actually made me think a bit, and I actually agree. Giving up 7 stam for a run buff is a good idea. Especially with all the bosses that need to be moved all over the damn place.
Which?

I play a prot paladin and have seen many people waste talents in the ret tree speed buff. The only fights at the moment I have to run a lot for are possibly beasts, but even then its only a few times ... and that's about it.
Pretty much all of the bosses you just have to stand there and take a hit.

jprich
10-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Ok. Quoting everyone was taking forever and my lunch break is only so long....so going to paraphrase. And bear with me please, not trying to sound indignant, just trying to learn.

Strit - Yeah, I know. I even edited the damn thing to try and be more precise and still came off vague. I agree entirely about learning my role and keeping everyone on me. Going to start with ToC/UK/Nexus probably once Hallows End is over.

Agg - That is a dps helm. I have the Austere Earthsiege, +20 defense gem, and Revered AC enchant in which takes me over 540 when I wear it. Would switching to Temper Titansteel Helm (same gems and enchant ) make that big of a difference?
Money isnt generally an issue, Mining & JC are good to me. The Saronite Sword Breakers were next on my list.

Nehter - Same question I asked Agg regarding the helm.
Armory is down but I will recheck the neck gem.
I have both brewfest stamina trinkets and was thinking the other day of swapping the ruby hare out for one. Id do both but I like the quick dodge bonus on the crab. Bad thinking?
Boots, Ive been looking at the Spiked Deathdealers as they seem to be going for less and less on Draka.
Roger on the regems all round.

All - thanks folks. Will be cranking up the dungeon runs after Hallows End ( want my damn horse ). Question about ToC though? How integral is the jousting part? Because Im trash at it ( so glad Im done championing all the cities!! )

HUGE help. Thanks all.

Aggathon
10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Agg - That is a dps helm. I have the Austere Earthsiege, +20 defense gem, and Revered AC enchant in which takes me over 540 when I wear it. Would switching to Temper Titansteel Helm (same gems and enchant ) make that big of a difference?
Money isnt generally an issue, Mining & JC are good to me. The Saronite Sword Breakers were next on my list.

Yes absolutely. TBH you really shouldn't wear any DPS gear unless you're just completely outgearing the content you're in and can't get hit so you have zero rage. I usually just take off gear if that's the case, and I'm guessing at your gear levels you probably aren't out-gearing it.

As for the boot enchant, fights where runspeed helps a lot:
Add tanking on ignis
Razorscale
Add tanking on XT (hardmode)
Iron Council (esp hardmode)
Algalon
Hodir (esp hardmode)
Thorim (especially for hallway/hardmode)
Freya (especially freya3)
Mimiron (especially hardmode)
Yogg (very important - cloud dodging in phase 1, phase 2, it gets more important the fewer keepers you have assisting)
NRB
Jaraxsus Add tanking, and to an extent MTing, but not as much
Faction Champs
Helps on Anub too, esp for phase 2.

MellvarTank
10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
You have to joust in ToC5 or you can't even get to the first boss fight. Good news-the argent jousting (with valiants/champions) is WAY more difficult than the jousting in ToC5.

jprich
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Mel - Read up on ToC5. That doesnt seem to bad. Thanks for the heads up.

Agg - No dps at all huh? Awww man. Guess I need to replace my Zeliek's Gauntlets (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40347) with Fireproven (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44183) from Dalaran Rep then eh? :(

Thanks for the help guys.

Chasey
10-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Which?

I play a prot paladin and have seen many people waste talents in the ret tree speed buff. The only fights at the moment I have to run a lot for are possibly beasts, but even then its only a few times ... and that's about it.
Pretty much all of the bosses you just have to stand there and take a hit.

POJ is wasted talent? What?...
So if its wasted where do you recommend I put those 2 points?
Conviction? for 2% more crit, um...threat is fine. I'd rather get to my mob faster.
SotP?... oh yea, I think I mentioned, threat is fine.
Reckoning?....Threat seems to be fine?
See after your surv build and talents added, theres really not much left that is MANDITORY so its prefrenace. PoJ is far from wasted.

To the OP gratz on hitting 80 and wanting to tank gear looks ok. Helm if even the titansteel would be a huge upgrade. TBH as good as your gear looks, I'd stack some more stam, once you are at 540 stam is your friend.
Best of luck.