PDA

View Full Version : I need advice hoping to be a new tank

hastings84
10-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi this is my first post here I wanted to ask a question. I want to start tanking but i have no clue how to get that started. I cant seem to get groups on my server for low level instance to pick up gear to tank better things. I also cant start in ToC ...I tried tanking that lets just say that did not go so well. So at this point where do I start?

ScaryGary
10-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Pick up as much of the crafted items as you can. Run heroics for badges to buy the badge gear and make sure to do the daily every day for your Triumph emblems. Other than that I don't know what your current gear level is so just keep an eye out for pug raids. Or maybe your guild will run them with you. Also logging out in your tank gear when asking for help with it would make offering advice easier. But based on the fact that you do not even have the 25 emblem achievement I would suggest running A LOT of heroics and buy the tabards to help you earn rep while you are running heroics as well.

hastings84
10-18-2009, 12:55 PM
thats the thing I have no tank gear other then what i could craft
so im pretty sure nobody would group with me to tank a heroic

Strit
10-18-2009, 01:24 PM
What you need to do raids/heroics:
Raids: 540 defense skill, 26 expertise, a little hit and a fair amount of Health and Armor.
Heroics: 535 defense skill, about 22 expertise (as I recall).

This can be obtained by craftables and rep items (look at my armory).
So start earning rep and do your Hodir daily's for the shoulder enchant. :)

ScaryGary
10-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Run regular instances to earn rep to buy items from rep vendors. It is extremely easy to get gear, you just have to do a bit of work for it.

And you don't need expertise to do heroics, it is just a bonus. I have also tanked heroics being way under 535 defense. You can drink a defense elixir which will help, I have actually tanked half of nexus as arms though. If you have a halfway decent group nothing hits very hard.

Rominoodle
10-19-2009, 01:36 PM
If you can afford a few of the craftables...daunting gloves and legs are very good for new tanks...Tempered Saronite gear is also a good start. If you are lacking defense still, hit up Shadow Labs in BC to pick up a decent tanking trinket Adamantine Figurine - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27891) as well as Seal of the Pantheon - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36993) from regular HoL.

I understand wanting to have the great tanking gear, but you've got to build your way up to it. Regular ToC is a very tough level 80 instance with a group of fresh 80s. It's not just about the tank, it's very healer and dps intensive so don't feel bad at having a hard time with that.

As far as a starting shield for level 80, if you've got some extra gold (dailies dailies dailies!) you can pick up Titansteel Shield Wall - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42508) which is highly useful. Like other posters above you want to have your defense at 540 before you start worrying about anything. You can get by with less defense, but you will be better off working at getting to that cap and staying at it. Defense enchants are a good way to get you started...you'll find that as a level 80 tank you are going to be playing around with different enchants and gems almost non-stop...it's part of our curse :-)

Tanking isn't always about the gear (not to say it doesn't help), it's also about the skill and knowing how to tank certain situations. Start off with the easier runs...Heroic UK, Nexus, and DTK...mobs don't hit insanely hard and it's a good start to heroics. Knowing when to tank a mob facing away from the group, or with your back to the wall make you a very valuable tank as well. A lot of newer tanks just think they are supposed to charge in and get beat up, but there is more to it then just that.

The gear all comes with time and patience...wipes happen, and people die in groups, just keep at it and you'll be there in no time.

Youkai
10-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Stick with being a damage dealer and pick up emblems and tanking gear in 5-man heroics as you go. Combind those with crafted items to make a complete set. Won't go overnight, won't be as much fun as tanking but its a way to go.

Another way is to buy crafted items and enchant/gem what you have to defense to get above def-cap for heroics and start doing them. Could be troublesome to find groups as some tends to be wary when a tank with 20-22k health shows up.

Done both ways myself, second works better if you know a few people that you can run heroics with. First option works better if your new to the server or don't know as many and have to pug all heroics.