PDA

View Full Version : Avoidance and gemming question

Aegis
10-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new to tanking(been playing holy until now), and I finally got a decent tanking set. As so, I got some questions that have been bothering me and came here to see if someone experienced could help.

First one, do mobs have a "natural" 5% chance to miss? If so, should I take this is an extra avoidance value?

Second, the 5,x% chance the mobs gain to miss me when I'm def capped are considered avoidance?

Third, which gems should I take/switch?

Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khadgar&n=Aegie)

Thanks in advance ;D

Mert
10-17-2009, 09:26 PM
1. Yes and yes
2. Yes
3. Enchant your cloak to Armor or Defense, enchant Chest to Defense, Stam to Bracers, the non-crap leg enchant on legs, Defense on Shield and one of {Accuracy, Mongoose, Blade Ward, Blood Draining, Agility} to your weapon. Until your gear is enchanted, there's no real way to say exactly which gems to switch. As a general rule, have Agi/Stam in red sockets, Def/Stam in yellow sockets, straight Stam in blue sockets and only match socket bonuses of +9 Stam or higher. It'll be easier to give more specific advice once you're properly enchanted.

Aegis
10-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Ok, i'll look it out.. thx for the tips( I know bout the chants, but I'm broke atm lol)

Zothor
10-19-2009, 11:16 AM
As a note, "avoidance" and "gemming" should basically never be in the same sentence for a paladin tank for general maintanking purposes.

A paladin tank really only has five acceptable gemming stats

Stamina

Defense
Hit rating

Agility
Strength

I broke those into gem/socket colors. Stam is self explantory; defense isn't being gemmed for its avoidance value; you gem it if you need to to match a socket bonus worth enough stamina to get free points, or if you're below the defense minimum and need to boost yourself. Hit is gemmed for threat and to reduce your taunt/interrupt/stun misses, Agility is gemmed infavor of dodge because it provides armor/crit (read: EH and Threat, your two most important things!) as well as avoidance, and Strength is gemmed only when you're gemming for pure threat as it's our highest threat stat at almost all gear levels.

Niian
10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Take out hit and that list is OK. I've tanked fine with as little as 50 hit, currently sitting at 164 with no issues.

Aggathon
10-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes, please avoid using "Avoidance and gemming question " in the same sentance because it makes me afraid that I'm going to have another aneurysm. However, thank god your avoidance question was actually seperate from your gemming question and it was actually a very legit question. Thank you.

But yes, Gem Stam, but Mert seems to be the resident expert about pallies so if he says I'm wrong probably believe him. I personally would gem everything with stam unless I needed more defense and then one stam/red (probably agi for pallies) gem to meet meta requirements.

Zothor
10-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Take out hit and that list is OK. I've tanked fine with as little as 50 hit, currently sitting at 164 with no issues.

I said hit was acceptable, not in any way required :P

I'm seriously debating stacking it again after a nasty shadow strike wipe on heroic Anub'arak because my Holy Wrath missed... stupid spell hit cap.

Many, many people are looking to gem for threat, particular as they're gearing up. A hit/stamina gem is totally acceptable in a yellow socket that nets a good threat or Stamina socket bonus if you don't need the defense anymore.

As for Merk, he's useful to me in that he seems to like banging out the nice posts. I tend to mostly make the angry "I hate you for being stupid and wish you would die in a ditch" posts :p For amusement, feel free to check the thread "Why do I keep dying in 25 ToGC" in the HALP! Forum. Actually had someone try and make the case that Vindication was worthless.... *minor stroke*