PDA

View Full Version : Safe environments to practice?

kroysemaj
10-15-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm a newly returned warrior from a pre-WotLK hiatus. I've just about leveled up to 80 and I've been slowly getting back into tanking. The prot warrior guide here helped a lot but I'm still having problems when I tank instances with multi-mob pulls. Here's my build, just in case. The gear shown on my armory page is my fury leveling gear. But I'm lvl 79 and I can already hit the Def cap with my current gear. It's not top-notch but it's not completely crap either..

Talent build (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Medivh&n=Mukau&group=2)

Basically I think I have the ideas down, I just need to practice. The only problem is I need a relatively safe way to practice without risking four other people's patience while I hone my skills. I was thinking of redoing a bunch of the lower instances (UK, Nex, AN, and OK) to get my practice. Think I'll have better luck running those with lower level groups? Or are there other options for me?

Thanks

Shortypop
10-16-2009, 01:21 AM
You can do some practice outside of instances, anywhere with lots of mobs, practice heroic throwing casters, rounding up melee and "dancing" with them to get thunderclap and shockwave hitting them (sure you won't have agro problems but it should help with practicing positioning and tabbing through targets). Midway through charge a mob you haven't agro and reposition everyone who follows :)

Fetzie
10-16-2009, 01:31 AM
you can practice alone in places like blood furnace or ramparts, black morass is a good place to get practice in picking up quick moving patrols.

What you could also do is run places like obsidian sanctum and naxx 10, these are very forgiving instances if you make a mistake (be sure to read up on the fights beforehand though). Especially if you go guild internal you can have a lot of fun as a warrior charging around picking up adds, kiting them around flame walls etc, and naxx has some fights that will push you outside of your comfort zone (but when you beat the encounter your confidence will grow "I was scared of THAT?").

Glittersmith
10-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Maybe not exactly what you asked for, but if you have problems with holding aggro switching to a standard build with Imaple and Deep wounds would help you with your threat problems.

Also getting a third glyph would help, for example Glyph of Vigilance is a great threat glyph. For a minor you should pick up Glyph of Thunder Clap at least since boosting its range helps a bit.

Martie
10-16-2009, 02:16 AM
For picking up multiple mobs quickly, try taking some level 21's through the Scarlet Monastery. Tell them to hang close and prevent them from getting killed.

Now, every time you refer to crit immune through defense as a cap, a raid boss somewhere crits his tank, so please stop doing it.

Running Naxx and practicing on trash is a good idea - just not in the military quarter.

Running lower level instances is a nice plan as well, but it won't challenge you too much. On the other side, your group will probably be thankful of having you there.

Kuraf
10-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Personally i'd try to go and tank some normal instances to get practice. it'll surely help you get better and you can still pull off some nice loot there :)

Rominoodle
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Personally i'd try to go and tank some normal instances to get practice. it'll surely help you get better and you can still pull off some nice loot there :)

I agree here with Kuraf...just get out there and push yourself to get better with what you can already do. Doing the low level instances is fun and all, but it doesn't really hone you in on your tanking skills with an adequate level 80 group. When i first hit 80 I ran Nexus with a few guild alts, and my healer died on the last boss and I was able to solo her from 62%, that'd didn't make me an amazing tank, but it sure made me feel powerful!

If you want to talk about picking up multiple targets while tanking and honing your skills, hop into Culling of Strat...that place is mob paradise! The groups of elites go from 3-6 deep and are pretty fun and still a challenge. Halls of Stone is a good one as well to get your skills up there, mobs hit slightly harder but it's a pretty easy one to handle.

Youkai
10-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Chaos leads to learning.

Suggest you just run through heorics 5man with friends or the people your going to do raids with later. Learn eachothers playstyles.
Make sure to cause some chaos, pull two piles of mobs instead of one, chainpull, never let healer get full mana. Try do them as quick as possible. :)
Not telling you to let people die, push the limit on how many things that can go wrong and you still come out ontop.

Doing practice on a doll in town or clubbering mobs thats lower level could possibly be good to learn where your keys are but nothing more then that, in my opinion.