PDA

View Full Version : Threat and TPS Issues

Domo
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
After taking a long hiatus (about 7months) from WoW, I started to tank again. But I been having some serious threat and TPS issues.

Here is my basic rotation:

SS - > Devastate - > Revenge - > Devastate - > HS (When SS and Devasate are on CD) - > SS - Revenge - > Devaste

The downside of my rotation, when SS and Devastate is on CD, I loose a lot of TPS and threat, but I do spam HS when possibile.

Here is a link to my armory.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&cn=D%C3%B6m%C3%B6kun&gn=eXtinction+Services)

After looking at some threads and noticed a lot of people are using Vigilance to increase threat. Could someone confirm this for me?

Or could someone point me to a correct rotation? Much appreciated.

Thundergnome
10-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Your rotation looks ok.
Did you mean that when SS and revenge are down you lose threat? If so, you can spam HS and use Devastate which can proc S&B.

Yes, absolutely use vigilance and get the glyph for it (5% additional threat). Putting vigilance on a hunter or mage usually works for me.

Domo
10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Your rotation looks ok.
Did you mean that when SS and revenge are down you lose threat? If so, you can spam HS and use Devastate which can proc S&B.

Yes, absolutely use vigilance and get the glyph for it (5% additional threat). Putting vigilance on a hunter or mage usually works for me.

Exactly, when SS and Revenge are currently on CD, I lose massive threat.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I will make sure to grab the Glyph for it.

MellvarTank
10-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I think the point mentioned that is most important was missed: Devastate will proc S&B which give you a free shield slam instantly. Also, make sure you rotate in CB, TC, Shockwave (on multiple mobs), and demo shout.

Posolutely
10-14-2009, 03:58 PM
On boss fights if you're getting any white hits at all, you're not HSing enough.

Obviously there are some rage starved exceptions... but HS should be up on every melee swing.

It is NOT part of any rotation you might be using. It replaces your normal melee strike with a heroic strike.

token
10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
From the way you've described what you're doing, I am reading it as you're not using HS as well as you could. If you're only spamming HS when SS and Rev are on cool down, that is your problem right there. HS is an 'on next swing' attack. What this means is that every time you hit HS you're replacing your next auto attack. Assuming rage is not an issue, you can combine HS with every ability that triggers the Global Cool Down. Proper use of HS is a huge TPS/DPS boost all on its own and also has the added benefit netting you more S&B procs.

Thedom
10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
One thing that wasn't explicitly stated (if you have been gone that long you might be un-aware) is that devastate was buffed significantly and sometimes is even more threat/damage than revenge (not always) but always keep shield slam on cooldown and spam that devastate and you should be ok. (In addition of course to revenge, HS, conc blow, tclap, shockwave, demo shout...geez this tanking thing is a little more complicated than most think =P)

Domo
10-15-2009, 03:13 AM
I used to spam HS all the time, but I noticed with the devastate changes, I been constantly spamming devastate now.

Fledern
10-15-2009, 03:15 AM
I used to spam HS all the time, but I noticed with the devastate changes, I been constantly spamming devastate now.

:eek: I spam both?

Squeegiemama
10-15-2009, 03:21 AM
If you can, bind Heroic Strike to your mousewheel. It makes it so much easier to queue it up. My TPS took a large jump once I made that change and got used to using the mousewheel a lot.

Domo
10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
If you can, bind Heroic Strike to your mousewheel. It makes it so much easier to queue it up. My TPS took a large jump once I made that change and got used to using the mousewheel a lot.

Gotcha, I will try that.

Domo
11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I have another question in regarding TPS, I noticed my TPS has gone down really low. I used to average 8000K TPS, but noticed I cannot even go above 5-6K TPS. With the information I got from here, I added HS back into my rotatation, but I been spamming Devastate and HS and hitting the usual SS, Revenge when they are up.

So basically my new rotation is

SS -> Revenge - > Devastate - > HS - > Devastate - > HS -> Devastate and I would spam the hell out of Devastate and HS and was wondering, because I am spamming Heroic Strike, isn't HS on a off and on trigger? If I am constantly spamming HS, am I actually canceling it out?

I am not sure if this is too confusing or not?

Aggathon
11-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Edit: your post was kind of confusing, I actually mis-read it. So... sorry about that. But no, hitting HS again while it is queued will not cancel it. The only thing that cancels an HS is a cleave queue.

1 = Devastate
2 = Revenge
3 = Shield Slam
Mouse Wheel up and down = HS

With your left hand do the SS -> Revenge -> Devastate rotation, and then just spam the mouse wheel with your right hand.

Domo
11-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Edit: your post was kind of confusing, I actually mis-read it. So... sorry about that. But no, hitting HS again while it is queued will not cancel it. The only thing that cancels an HS is a cleave queue.

1 = Devastate
2 = Revenge
3 = Shield Slam
Mouse Wheel up and down = HS

With your left hand do the SS -> Revenge -> Devastate rotation, and then just spam the mouse wheel with your right hand.

Unfortunately, I am a clicker and I do have Devastate, Revenge, and Shield Slam next to each other, so me being a clicker, it might be hard to bind HS to my mouse wheel up or down. But I can possibly add HS to my keyboard as keyboard "1".

Aggathon
11-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately, I am a clicker and I do have Devastate, Revenge, and Shield Slam next to each other, so me being a clicker, it might be hard to bind HS to my mouse wheel up or down. But I can possibly add HS to my keyboard as keyboard "1".

Clicker as a tank...
<Enters Dr. Cox Mode>
Listen here Brittany, I'm gonna tell you this once, very slowly so that you fully understand me:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O
If you are a tank and you click, you are, "Wrong wrong wrong wrong, *higher pitched* wrong wrong wrong wrong, *lower pitch* you're wrong... you're wrong... you're wroonnnnggggg...."
</Exists Dr. Cox Mode>

I honestly have no idea how it is physically possible to click as a tank. You need to break that habit NOW. Like seriously... force yourself to not click. You //will// be a better player for it... I cannot express this enough.
CLICKING (like failure) IS NOT AN OPTION.

/end hernia.

p.s. yes I know my HTML scripting is wrong, bite me.

Tyrz
11-04-2009, 11:45 PM
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/41865-keybinds-you.html

break you clicking habit.. it will save you thousands of gold in repairs!

also http://www.puppetartists.com/Portals/hm/Other/Rotation_V2.jpg + Teh Heroic strike spam = win tps

Aggathon
11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I believe
Dark Legacy Comics (http://www.darklegacycomics.com/87.html)
and
Dark Legacy Comics (http://www.darklegacycomics.com/107.html)
are topical in this matter.

Xianth
11-05-2009, 04:47 AM
because I am spamming Heroic Strike, isn't HS on a off and on trigger? If I am constantly spamming HS, am I actually canceling it out?

I am not sure if this is too confusing or not?

Heroic strike cannot be turned off. When you use heroic strike, your next melee swing will be turned into a heroic strike swing unless you don't have enough rage when it swings.

And may I reiterate that you cannot be a clicker and a good tank, there's so many situations where you need to move and use your abilities. For example, when running a boss into position you wouldn't be able to strafe run sidways at full speed while using your abilities on the boss.

drae
11-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Don't click. Clicking and keyboard turning will severely limit your reaction speed and your tps production.

Also I would keep only the one purple gem for your meta activation and replace all other gems with Straight stamina. I really wouldn't socket for hit, expertise > hit.

Domo
11-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for everyone's comments, I will try and switch to using the keyboard. I will follow the guide that was posted for me, thanks everyone.

Domo
11-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Tried the keyboard tonight and it is extremely difficult to get adjusted to since I am so used to clicking. My TPS has actually gone down because of it.

Tyrz
11-07-2009, 03:48 AM
well get used to it! takes about 1-2 weeks before you are comfortable with 80+% of your bindings just don't give up! make sure Q and E are bound to ability's and A D are strafe to force you to turn with your mouse :D

Zephurus
11-07-2009, 07:06 AM
shield bash+shield slam if you have more than 70 rage; ofcuz the imp shield bash talent need to be learnt. I once crit for 9k with SSlam doing it that way, help alot when u dont have to interupt boss, make use of shield bash.

Domo
11-07-2009, 04:37 PM
well get used to it! takes about 1-2 weeks before you are comfortable with 80+% of your bindings just don't give up! make sure Q and E are bound to ability's and A D are strafe to force you to turn with your mouse :D

Lol after playing as a clicker for my entire wow career, it is something it will be hard to get adjusted to. I been playing this game for over 3 years.

Vencedor
11-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I would say, you can spec for threat, getting impale, deep wounds, and gag order (for the shield slam increase dmg), enchanting your shield with Titanium Plating (81 BV)

15/5/51
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo:dbcMmz)

Aggathon
11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
shield bash+shield slam if you have more than 70 rage; ofcuz the imp shield bash talent need to be learnt. I once crit for 9k with SSlam doing it that way, help alot when u dont have to interupt boss, make use of shield bash.

Huh? Shield Bash doesn't inrease the damage of shield slam, it's a static amount from the talent.

Domo
11-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Huh? Shield Bash doesn't inrease the damage of shield slam, it's a static amount from the talent.

Well I tried the keyboard and still getting used to it, but I noticed my TPS isn't as high as it was before. I used to average 8K to 9K TPS, but it's below 5K right now...