PDA

View Full Version : possible upgrades and 540 cap?

predatorius
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
*Update*
I just got a ring for H ToC, blue socket,The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=47243), its mark of the relentless, should i gem [Enduring Eye of Zul] for it?
Ive gotten some enchants now, defense rating 22 on chest, titanweave on cloak and 20 rating to shield, Im currently working on the argent crusade head enchant, but thats only 20 rating, I'm now sitting at 524 defense, and 617 rating, i think the cap is 689, any suggestions?

Hey guys, I just hit 80 about 2 days ago, I have completely no idea on how I should start gearing up, but after I've read Polar's Easy pre-naxx. I have gotten some pieces from that guide. Then there was a problem, I am still not defense capped, my gear is not very good,so how would you suggest I should get better gear or getting 540 defense to do heroics.

This is my armory link:The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lethon&n=Predatorius)

It would be nice if you can list a couple of fairly easy obtainable upgrades and then some advice to defense cap on my current gear.

Thanks

tanking is not easy, but i love doing it, really appreciate any help

Fusik
10-13-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/41670-tankspot-s-official-guides-articles-listing.html

Hope it helps!

Spazlord
10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Get your defense up and hit some heroics!

Your gear is ok, with a few more enchants/gems you will be fine to run heroics. Don't skimp on your gear - enchants aren't cheap but they are good. Might be ok for the dps to be half-assed with their gear, but not for the tank. Defense to cloak/chest/shield. The helm enchant from Argent Crusade and shoulder enchant from Sons of Hodir or the PVP stam/resil one. You'll easily reach 540 defense, and then you can earn some badges to upgrade your gear significantly.

Thaak
10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
You currently have on some PvP gear which has good stam, but no defense, which is why you are struggling.

That being said, it does have resilience on it which also lowers your chance to be critically hit. You have 84 res, which gives a .89 reduced chance to be crit. 5.6% is the normal chance, so 5.6-.89=4.71%. Each point of defense(not raiting, actual defense) reduces that chance by .04%, so 4.71/.04=117.75 -->118 defense you need to add in or 518 defense total to be capped with 84 res. You're sitting at 516, so your just around the corner.

Cloak: +16 def Enchant Cloak - Titanweave - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=44591)
Chest: +22 def Enchant Chest - Greater Defense - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47766)
Shoulders: +30 stam + 15 res Greater Inscription of the Gladiator - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44957) (the res will further lower the def required)
Helm: +37 stam +20 def :Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44150)

Now having said all that, Defense is better than res, because in addition to reducing your chance to be crit, ever point of defense also increases your dodge, parry, block, and chance to be missed by .04%, providing you with avoidance as well.

I only listed enchants that will help with hitting the crit cap. Enchant ALL your gear.

Level your BS to 400, you're currently cheating yourself out of 2 sockets.

If you have to gem for defense, gem for defense.

Your spec and glyphs could use some love too. Look at the guides on here to bring yourself in line.

Thundergnome
10-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Get yourself the crafted Titansteel shield, it has +65 defence I believe. Put defence enchant on shield.
Purchase the epic tanking ring for badges of valor 'Signet of the impregnable fortress'.
Also, there is a blue trinket which drops out of either HoL or HoS... can't recall, and has +64 (or around that number) defence.

PS. You only need 535 defence for Heroics :) 540 is for raid bosses

Bashal
10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
As was mentioned: enchants please. Shoulder and head glyph please. They'll help you out a fair bit, that's why they exist. ;)

Most beginner tanks, unless they were DPS and collecting offset for awhile, rely heavily on crafted items and rep quartermaster items to get their foot in the door. You don't even need all the insanely expensive crafted tanking gear; the basic ilvl 187-ish blue gear and 2-3 of the titansteel tanking items (helm/boots/shield) will do just fine.

luv2tank
10-14-2009, 07:47 AM
H ToC and Reg ToC 5man instance will gear you up faster than you can say LFG. Farm that until your fingers bleed, then farm it some more. If you have the gold, by all means go out and get some ulduar plate tank gear(indestructable girdle, deathdealers) and use your badges to keep you current in some t8.5 gear. If you farm heavy, you can be ready to go in a week.

@Thundergnome-it is called seal of pantheon-+65 defense trinket out of HoL regular from Loken(last boss). I would get that, the block trink(lavanthor's talisman) from H Vh and the black heart for trinks to set you off to a decent start. I guess even essence of gossamer couldnt hurt either-thats from H AN.

@Thaak-I think the better shoulder enchant would be the one from sons of hodir(exaulted or revered)-+20 dodge + 15 defense. I could be wrong but I was told resil no longer plays a role in PVE situations. Anyways, i would still much rather have avoidance than stamina.

Depending on your time and schedule, farm as many badges as you can-do your dailies and get some stoneblood/indestructable flasks to help in any ways.

luv2tank
10-14-2009, 07:50 AM
PS-it isnt a cap-more like a minimum-it is still very beneficial to go beyond 540 defense

MellvarTank
10-14-2009, 10:40 AM
You can go over in defense, but once you hit 540/550 you shouldn't really gem/enchant for it. Ideally you would start gemming/enchanting for stamina/pure avoidance (dodge/parry). It's not to say it's bad, just there are better things to gem for.

Blue
10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Find Engineer...get Armor Plated Shotgun...socket defense on it.
Argent Tournament dailies...gold, plus badges that will get you a very nice tanking axe.
Nice try, with the pvp gear, but you're hitting the wall, there...few defense stats..
Run regular dungeons...you need to know these fights, and that's the best way to learn them...
Sons of Hodir rep....

Good luck!!

(Is it just me, or is there a sudden explosion of power-leveled tanks out there?)

Bovinity
10-14-2009, 11:07 AM
The Gladiator shoulder enchant is actually pretty beastly for EH value. In fact, I'm pretty sure most tanks use it now. The resilience does help with crit prevention, but the amount is so small that no one really calculates it. It's basically just treated as a +30 stamina enchant that you don't have to grind rep for.

You're already working on Argent Crusade rep it looks like, so try to get to Revered for the head enchant, that's pretty huge.

Try to get the defense trinket from Loken in heroic Halls of Lightning as others have suggested, that's a great way early on to get to defense cap without totally destroying your stamina. Also try to get Essence of Gossamer from heroic Azjol'Nerub, it's pretty amazing for a starting tank. Black Heart will be a great addition too, but that might have to wait.

Once you've tidied up a few of those gaps, you'll be able to hit Trial of the Champion pretty easily. Pretty much everything in there - and in the heroic version - are absolutely amazing plate tank items. Helm, neck, legs, boots, waist, trinket, weapon, shoulders, it's all great. Get in there ASAP.

For everything else, you'll pretty much just need to grind out some heroics, get the badges, and grab the plate tanking items from the Emblem of Conquest vendor in Dalaran. Start replacing slots that you didn't get from ToC (Like your cloak, grab the T8 chest and maybe the helm if you didn't get the ToC one yet.)

From there you can start organizing your gear for the next tier and get ready to drop the defense trinket for something with EH on it. I actually just typed up another post regarding that next level of gearing in another thread right below this one!

Thaak
10-15-2009, 10:02 PM
@Thaak-I think the better shoulder enchant would be the one from sons of hodir(exaulted or revered)-+20 dodge + 15 defense. I could be wrong but I was told resil no longer plays a role in PVE situations. Anyways, i would still much rather have avoidance than stamina.

Res still reduces your chance to be crit. It even states it in the tooltip still. And more importantly, the OP had zero Sons of Hodir rep. Going from 0 to exalted takes 2-3 weeks or a lot of money if you're buying relics. Getting 10k honor to buy the pvp shoulder inscription i linked takes like 1-2 hours max if you run av, hell if you catch a good WG you can have it done in 15 minutes.

Mookey
10-16-2009, 02:04 AM
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/4797/defensethereisnocaps.jpg

Martie
10-16-2009, 02:09 AM
You can go over in defense, but once you hit 540/550 you shouldn't really gem/enchant for it. Ideally you would start gemming/enchanting for stamina/pure avoidance (dodge/parry). It's not to say it's bad, just there are better things to gem for.
Gemming for defense is better then gemming for parry for avoidance for me.
Gemming for defense is within 3% as effective as gemming for dodge for me for pure avoidance, but the defense gives me more then just avoidance.

I think gemming for avoidance IS gemming for defense.

Mookey
10-16-2009, 02:23 AM
I think gemming for avoidance IS gemming for defense.

It is, assuming you want to match socket colors - gemming for avoidance should be;
Red: Dodge/Defense
Yellow: Defense
Blue: Defense/Sta

Never gem for parry

luv2tank
10-16-2009, 01:50 PM
lol that picture is hilarious!