PDA

View Full Version : Taking to much damage. Help me please? :(

Nighte
10-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Hello there. Well, I've been tanking for a bit now, but I've been having trouble lately and getting complaints about my character taking to much damage. As far as I know she's def capped (over it 549), I've got about 28k health, and I used someones macro on here and I believe Iw as sitting at 50-52% avoidence without buffs. (Dodge is 26% parry 17.75% and I believe they set a bit higher with horn.)

Is my parry to low? Do I need more dodge? Looking for advice to help improve this.

I'm posting my armory mainly for spec. (Maybe it needs a bit of help too.) I have a few sets of armor I go through. DPS, Tank, and yes I play on an RP server so I may have junk on to look pretty as well. :p (I'll try to leave on my tank gear for a bit though.)

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moon+Guard&n=Nighte)

Any helpful advice to improve would be appreciated. I'm kind of at a loss here. I have some Ulduar gear, the badge gear, and other nice things. I'm going to get more upgrades eventualy but...er...yeah. :/ I've had the healers complain to me about damage, and I don't know what to do. I make sure my blade barrier pops, and Ill use my other cool downs for armor but it still just seems awful.

Thanks in advance!

Miagorme
10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
A couple things:

1. don't gem for parry. I'd explain why, but it's easier for you to nod your head and say okay.

2. Frost's strengths for tanking revolve around extra avoidance and a little bit less damage taken. Not much the player can do to improve that. However, if you try Blood tanking, you can time death strikes and rune taps to make up for the (minor) loss in avoidance. I used to have to focus and put a lot of effort into timing everything properly, but now I find myself establishing threat very easily and from then on, death striking immediately after a hit lands. It's nice to see -14000 followed by +5500, +3000 from a paladin's flash of light, then get another death strike in for another +5500 before I get hit again.

Then again, it could be that your healers simply aren't knowledgeable and expect you to have 90% avoidance and 50k health, and are complaining because they need to... well, heal.

As for gemming advice: remove all the +defense gems (you should be around 540 defense), remove all gems with parry. Socket in this fashion:

Blue: 30 Stamina
Yellow: 10 Defense Rating, 15 Stamina
Red: 10 Expertise Rating, 15 Stamina

Socket everything with purely 30 stamina, and only fill in the yellow and red gems when you have to (or when the bonuses are worth while)

Reasoning: You're plenty over the hit cap, so you don't need to gem for hit. While you should gem for expertise, you shouldn't do so in a way that doesn't "mesh well." For instance, having 16 defense and 16 expertise in your chest doesn't "mesh well." Try putting the purple gem I suggested in any red slots you have.

One more thing: don't use cheap gems. Do battlegrounds, get honor, or spend emblems and get proper gems. No reason to short yourself a couple hundred health or a percent or two of avoidance just because you don't want to put the effort into getting good gems.