PDA

View Full Version : Tanking for 3 months Need Some Advice

crb
10-09-2009, 10:59 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mug%27thol&n=Crb)

Here is my armory.

I think the problem I am having the hardest time with is keeping aggro when I am in a party or raid with people that are better geared then I. In most cases for 5 man heroics I have no problem but when I start getting into raids it becomes even more of a challenge especially when I do have dps that have a lot better gear. Is there anything that I can change or do to keep that aggro?

Thanks in Advance,

CRB

crb
10-11-2009, 12:47 PM
56 views and nothing.. How about a more general question. How is my gemming? As a Prot Pally should I be gemming for straight Stamina?

Strit
10-11-2009, 12:48 PM
CHange your PVP gear out with something a little more PVE oriented stats, and you are good to go.

crb
10-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry forgot to log out in Prot spec and gear.

Zothor
10-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Caught you in prot gear. First and foremost, holy crap, what is UP with that spec. No paladin tank worth his salt runs without Guarded by the Light and Vindication. This is the prot equivalent of Thunderclap and Demoralizing Shout, and the two together MASSIVELY reduce incoming damage. For anything besides heroics they're absolutely required. Get your GbtL pints from seals of the pure and 1/2 Spiritual Attunement, and get your Vindication points from Conviction. Yes, that is a threat hit. We'll fix it elsewhere.

You... are glyphed for Seal of Righteousness. I suspect this means you are using Seal of Rightousness to tank. STOP. SoR feels nice because it's quick snapthreat, but you have two taunts, avengers shield, and wings (pop them on pulls, trust me) to deal with that. It is nowhere NEAR as much sustained threat as Seal of Corruption. You should be tanking with Corruption in virtually all instances, and because of that you need to be Glyphed for Corruption (which is called Glyph of Seal of Vengeance, stupid alliance/horde naming differences). It is by FAR our best threat glyph. Swap those two things and oyu'll immediately see a huge threat boost.

Lose the bladeward enchant to your weapon - test after test is showing that it's terrible. If you really want an avoidance enchant, run Mongoose. Mongoose is showing extremely high uptimes since 3.2 made it proccable off SoV, and gives you a bit of threat to boost from the extra crit. If, however, threat is your primary concern, enchant your weapon for Accuracy.

Finally... 18 stam to gloves, really? When your'e having threat issues? Armsman is much maligned, but it's maligned by people who AREN'T having threat issues. 2% threat from a glove enchant is huge, and 18 stam is an easy trade to get it from. Switch that.

Side note: good god man, get an Argent Crusade tabard and go farm out revered NOW. Get the real helm enchant. Run heroics or TOC normal until you have it. While you're running your heroics, get the Libram of the Sacred Shield from conquest badges. It's an upgrade in both survivability and threat and it's stupidly easy to get.

Oh: found soemthing else. Lose the dodge/stam gems. Gem agi/stam - gets you avoidance, effective health (through armor), and threat (Through crit). Every bit helps.

Make these changes and check back. I suspect even the Seal of Corruption change alone will solve you problem, but if it doesn't, you may need to consdier a reality: threat isn't supposed to be easy. People who significantly outgear you are are SUPPOSED to push you. Tuning up your spec, enchanting, seal use and gearing will help.

crb
10-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow that is some of the best pieces of advice I have heard so far.. Thank you for the time you took to write that and look at my gear. I will work to make those changes.