PDA

View Full Version : dk blood tanking weapon question

kodax
10-08-2009, 10:48 PM
This is a question about a piece of gear so if I am in the wrong section then I apologize.

Here's the situation. I am a blood dk tank. Yesterday in toc 25, Dual-blade Butcher dropped (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47285). Now, I have been looking at this weapon as my ideal tanking weapon outside of heroic toc (my selection of a weapon has always been threat first, then stam, then avoidance). This weapon seems to me to fit the bill perfectly. When I rolled on it and won there was a huge issue within the guild because another dk dps, wanted it and the other guildees agreed with him. To make things go smoothly I gave it to him.

So, my question is this, was I wrong about this weapon? As a dk tank should I not roll on it? If that is the case then what is my toc 25 weapon. I know that Hellion Glaive drops out of there and while the agility is nice I hate to loose that much strength/ threat/ stamina.

Thoughts?

Kurtosis
10-09-2009, 01:36 AM
The only thing that could make that a better DK tanking weapon would be to have Expertise or Hit on it instead of Crit, letting you regem for some other threat stat or stam. Str + stam + blue socket = dk tank weapon. Agi + stam + yellow/red socket + AP = DK dps weapon.

Withoug knowing anything more about the situation, it sounds like that other DK was a total loot whore ass, as were the other guildies who agreed w/ him. Did they give any particular reason for that decision?

If you have to choose b/t increasing your tank corp's threat cap, vs increasing the dps of a single dps'er, that decision should be clear. Increasing tank threat cap enables all the raid dps to up their dps via gear upgrades, enabling you to more easily beat enrage timers or down bosses b/f healers oom. Should be a no-brainer call.

Wilhem
10-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah, this was your weapon, especially with a potential +30 stam gem sitting in there and +4 strength socket bonus... Personally i'd be pissed with my guild if they did that to me, but to each their own in that regard. :)

kodax
10-09-2009, 10:30 AM
This situation is probably my fault. As a guild, we have never had a dk tank. I created this character a few months ago to fill this void (that and we already had a couple pally tanks which I was one). I probably should have talked to the raid leader and the other officers to let them know which type of weapons I would be rolling on since my guess is they probably do not know what type of weapons are dk tank weapons.

Out of curiosity, how have the other dk tanks handled this situation? Have you discussed it with your guild leadership (which I am part of btw) beforehand or just kind of hoped it would all work out?

Tryxx
10-09-2009, 11:02 AM
There are couple threads in the general forum about this same topic. It's a great tanking weapon, and I believe you missed out. My personal way to handle it would be to really take a look at the raid. If the tank is not having issues with threat or survival, and it seems like the DPS needs an upgrade, that's the only time I'd feel the need to pass. The situation is reversed in the other scenario.

Kurtosis
10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Even if the DK tank isn't having threat or survival issues, I'd say he should get that weapon if it's an upgrade from his current one. Just b/c he isn't having those issues now, doesn't mean he won't start having them later, especially as the DPS gears up (and not just w/ weapons but with armor, trinks, etc.). It's not a competition b/t the just DK tank and the DK dps, it's a competition b/t the DK tank and the entire dps corps.

For example, your guild gave that weapon to the DPS DK, but lets assume the rest of his gear isn't enough to come close to your threat cap. But what if he gets lucky on rolls and does manage to gear up the rest of his armor to where he starts coming near your threat, before the Butcher drops again for you? Or, say you have a mage or two (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/56555-blood-threat.html) that is geared enough (a new recruit perhaps, who's raided the content b/f) and they're pushing or exceeding your threat cap with relative ease, and now have to govern their dps output so as not pull aggro, partially defeating the purpose of recruiting them. Hypothetical, and maybe not applicable to your guild right now, but those are the eventualities I'd want to keep in mind and avoid.

Increasing the raid threat cap only requires increasing the weapon and gear level of 2 or 3 tanks, which then enables the entire dps core to increase their dps as they gear up. There are only 1 or 2 items that the tank corps will compete w/ the dps core for - 2H Str weapons for DK's, and 2H Agi weapons for druids. There are tons of other dps-enhancing drops - melee, ranged, and spell - that will increase aggregate dps of the raid. Keeping the tank threat cap comfortably ahead of that dps progression should be one of the priorities of the raid leaders.