PDA

View Full Version : Palitank Got no Mana

Teggon
10-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Ok since my issues with holding agro on my warrior I decided to roll Prot on the Paladin. With no experience in tanking on the Paladin I did a bit of light reading (War and Piece was shorter) and finally found what I needed.

I'm using the 6/9 Rotation whilst I quest just to get used to it before I unleash myself on a Heroic. I'm finding though I running out of mana rather quickly.

Here is my gear The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jubei%27Thos&n=Tegmyster)

What do I need to fix ? Or is it just experience I'm lacking ?

Harbringerau
10-08-2009, 07:58 PM
ok are you using Blessing of sanc on yourself?

judgement of wisdom will help with this also

The above are really your only ways of gaining mana whilst fighting.

utilise Divine Plea when ever it is of cd.

The experience in tanking Heroics you may find out that rotation will help also. switch it around a bit

uglybbtoo
10-08-2009, 10:57 PM
You arent getting healed (Spiritual Attunement - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=33776) when)) when you are questing hence lack of mana.

Generally you try and quest in ret ... if you really do have to quest in tank as said use divine plea every CD, use seal of wisdom as suggested. You will always have BOSANC on you generally never change it and assuming it's up pull MORE because every dodge etc gives you mana.

Dtain
10-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Make sure you are keeping divine plea up, also droping concecration from your rotation will help when your low on mana, use it on the pull to grab agro on everything then don't use it a second time you should have plenty of aoe threat from hammer / tabbing.

Dhalphir
10-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Spiritual Attunement really is a very very inconsequential amount of your mana return for most encounters except ones where you get hit extremely hard. Blessing of Sanc and Divine Plea are far more. As long as you always have Sanc on yourself, and always keep Divine Plea running (if its falling off between pulls, you're not pulling fast enough), your mana should be fine.

Ciaree
10-10-2009, 08:02 PM
You want 1 in imp judgement, not 2; It's the only actual 9 second cooldown you should have(HS and conc both get 8). This actually causes issues with your rotation, as does glyph of consecration(so don't get it either).

Start your rotation off by using holy shield, to get the block up and that'll help with the mana return from boSanc.

SA only works when you're healed, so asking priests to off the shield a bit if they can might help. You can also sit down to force a crit and use the healing from that to get mana up a bit too.

Guarded by the Light refreshes divine plea, which means you should have a constant return of mana. You already have the glyph, so this also translates into a constant 3% damage reduction(3% more with boSanc on yourself, for 6% from mana sources alone).

If you're having trouble keeping dp up, remember it only works on your melee hits, be it mob or critters. Also, you should be able to pull for a minute straight without the healer having to stop for mana; Pull the next group before the current group dies(I tend to HoJ the last mob at 30% or so, and use AS to get the next lot coming).

Don't use exocism. One because of the mana cost, two because while you're casting, you don't block or parry(think you still dodge, though).

There are glyph options that reduce the cost of spells, which might help if nothing else does.

Make sure you run with replenishment; everything is designed around the assumption you have this.

Mert
10-10-2009, 10:51 PM
The key thing from your post is the phrase "whilst I quest" - unfortunately, our primary source of mana regen as a Prot Paladin will always be Spiritual Attunement which is triggered by incoming heals from a third party - or, in short, we go oom a lot when solo.

There are a few things you can use to mitigate this - having Divine Plea up before the pull should be ingrained into your consciousness as it'll autorefresh for the entire duration of the battle. You should also be using Blessing of Sanctuary on yourself and Judging Wisdom. Finally, for non-elites that go down quickly, you won't typically have time to stack the Seal of Vengeance DoT anyway, so use Seal of Wisdom.

When you get to Heroics, the combination of BoSanc, DP and SA will be more than sufficient to keep you topped up on mana and you can safely use SoV without worrying about it. I'd still Judge Wisdom for Heroics, but in a raid you'll usually have at least one other Paladin so you can keep both Light and Wisdom up anyway.

But yes, for solo stuff you will find you go out of mana quickly - as soon as you get a healer on you, however, all is peachy again, to the point where only 1/2 is needed in the Spiritual Attunement talent. I'd suggest finding a friendly Mage from your guild and asking them to make you some Strudels before you embark on any long bouts of questing :)

Shadus
10-12-2009, 03:10 AM
First you have to look... REALLY look at what Blessing of Sanctuary does.

"Places a Blessing on the friendly target, reducing damage taken from all sources by 3% for 10 min and increasing strength and stamina by 10%. In addition, when the target blocks, parries, or dodges a melee attack the target will gain 2% of maximum displayed mana. Players may only have one Blessing on them per Paladin at any one time."

Now that you've read that, think about what that means. If you're running Blessing of Sanctuary and you're still not getting enough mana back, then you obviously aren't blocking, parrying, or dodging enough hits to generate mana.

No amount of Spiritual Attunement will generate the kind of mana that BoS will, unless you're main tanking raid bosses. Against multiple mobs, hitting multiple times in a 3 second window, your mana can go from dead empty to full nearly instantly. Add to the fact that anything you block, dodge, or parry is less work for your healers, you can make yourself a better tank AND improve your mana regen issues by pushing yourself to block cap: 102.5% combined avoidance. The closer you get to that magic number, the less issues you'll have with mana.

Edit: You have Pursuit of Justice... by the Light, boy! Why are you using a weapon chain?!? I can only assume for the +hit. But I suggest you look instead at the hit/crit enchant. You lose 3 hit rating but gain 25 crit rating... which is more threat. You have two jobs as a tank.

1) Piss it off good.
2) Take it like a man.

More crit = more threat = better at doing part 1 of your job.

Zothor
10-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Just to reiterate, the spec is fine; it's just a fact that paladin tanks do NOT solo quest quickly except in areas where you can round up 4-5 mobs at once. If you're grinding individual mobs, just use your ret spec.

If you MUST solo prot, Seal of Wisdom is basically required unless you're able to collect multiple mobs for BoS to proc off of. Your mana regen should be fine when you're boss tanking and consequently getting heals, which is what prot is built for.

Mert
10-12-2009, 08:09 AM
You have two jobs as a tank.

1) Piss it off good.
2) Take it like a man.

That's totally going in my sig :D