PDA

View Full Version : HALP! DK tank dual wield

Felfrost
10-08-2009, 07:11 PM
What weapon type should i have to tank dual wield frost?
Slow? Fast? Dps? Tanking?

Kurtosis
10-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Since you're asking this, the answer is 2x Tanking weapons, period. Don't even think about trying to DW tank w/ 2x dps weapons (at least not until patch 3.3 comes out and we get a 1H Stoneskin Gargoyle runeforge).

If you try to DW tank w/ 2 dps weapons, you're almost guaranteed to be way under the defense cap (535 for H 5mans, 540 for raids), meaning you'll get critted and one-shot by bosses.

Try for Red Sword of Courage (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37401) or Peacekeeper Blade (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47500), each of which you can equip 2 of (not unique or unique-equipped).

Felfrost
10-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Actually right now I'd only be a little under (5) but i was asking about 3.3 with the 1hand enchants

Kurtosis
10-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Ah, then you're further along than I realized. I haven't DW tanked yet but have been collecting gear for it. A couple problems I understand are:

1. The point of DW tanking is that 2x tank weapons increases your avoidance over 1x 2H dps weapon. (SSG on the 2H, Swordbreaker on the 1H'ers, or the new SSG on the 1H'ers in 3.3). But if you use 2x 1H dps weapons, you lose that avoidance, so even if you manage to stay above defense cap with the runeforge, you've defeated the main purpose of DW tanking anyway.

2. Most 1H tank weapons are fast speed, but DW DK tanks need slower speed weapons to reduce parry haste effects (and prior to 3.2 Threat of Thaurissan to get the max possible Oblit/FS dmg). Finding a slower tanking 1H weapon is difficult (though I haven't tried myself beyond the two I posted above, perhaps something from ToCr/ToGC?).

I keep looking into it, but it just seems there are so many more hoops to jump through just to get a roughly equivalent effect as 2H tanking, I don't see much point in spending time on that when I could be doing other things (raiding, farming gold, etc.). Just depends on your priorities I suppose.