PDA

View Full Version : Frost and Rotation Questions

Tryxx
10-08-2009, 08:13 AM
I've decided to bite the bullet, and finally purchase my dual talent spec. (That epic flying skill isn't too big a deal anyway. ;) ) I've tried a couple Frost and Unholy tanking builds before, but really didn't see it as my thing. However, I believe giving it another try will give me a different experience and benefit me as a player. With that in mind I still have a few ground rules that I'm trying to set for myself in the spec. The following list is what's really going through my mind right now, what I plan on experiencing, and my thoughts on the build.

Content will be Heroic dungeons
Emphasis on survival capabilities in lieu of weak healers
Mitigation through talents and abilities (Trying to break the "spike damage" mold)
Solid AoE threat
Scaling

It's my understanding that as a tank who has only recently hit 80, Frost may scale better with the initial gear levels. I do plan on keeping my Blood tanking spec for when I learn how to distinguish the advantages of each in different scenarios.

This (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=6&tal=0355121003000300000000000000305050013500330023 012031010000052000000000000000000000000000) is the spec I've really considered focusing on. It's my take on the "Hard-Mode Survival" cookie cutter build. I believe it's adequate for my content and gear level.

Do you believe the spec fulfills my above requirements? Suggestions for Glyphs?

Second question: I've read about it a couple times here, but can't seem to track the information down anymore... what's the advantage of single disease rotations with Frost, and is that still viable? It's my understanding that with recent patches it's simply more efficient to keep both diseases up. If that's true, I'll refer to the stickies. If the single disease rotation is viable, could I get an example rotation for both Single Target and Multi-Target rotations?

Insahnity
10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I'd try and follow a standard Frost build (Maybe This?). The first big thing I see is that you missed HB, the central source for AoE for frost. This may be partly because you saw Rune Tap and got distracted. Healing yourself is a blood mentality, try and stay within a frost mentality, which is physical mitigation.

Unholy shines at holding aoe threat once they have it, scales OK at low ends.
Blood is really resilient through self heals, but relies on good gear. AoE is doable nowadays, but it's nowhere near Unholy's power.

Frost will suit you. Once you have HB, it's decent aggro AND is much faster than DnD. In the Heroic end it scales well.

As for Heroic Content, the only appreciable concerns I can think of are not having to reach 540 defense (you can stay at 535 until gear improves), and keeping up threat with people who are better better than you.

You can do a Single Disease rotation with the HB Glyph, saving you the IT+PS+Pestilence. It's choosing between spreading more diseases and having them do more damage, or using squeezing in more of your existing abilities with 1 less disease to fit in. I don't recommend doing single disease rotation without HB glyph (and its a bad idea not to have HB glyph with 2 disease rotation as well).

For Major Glyphs, I suggest HB, Obliterate, and (Frost strike, Unbreakable armor or Rune Strike, read each one and see which works best for you). Minors use Horn of Winter, Raise Dead, Possibly Pestilence.

Tryxx
10-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Doesn't help that I last logged out on my DPS gear. >.<

Defense isn't an issue. I've got 542 in my tank setup now. With my Blood spec (in Frost Presence with Horn of Winter), , I have 26,940 HP, something like 21% dodge, 16% parry, 26 expertise, and a fairly low amount of hit. I am a bit concerned about loosing VotTW, as I have a hard enough time getting into Heroics based on my HP as it is. I'll just cross that bridge when I get there, I suppose.

For some reason HB just didn't occur to me, which is kind of silly. I've just loved Rune Tap ever since I've had it, and the utility it's provided was great. Still, I agree with you - I'm doing this for a switch in mentality, so it can be abandoned. I'm aware of the strengths of Unholy, but believe I'll amalgamate better to Frost. Glyph of Howling Blast, Glyph of Obliterate, and Glyph of Rune Strike are really what's standing out to me now.

I'll get the spec tonight, and check the changes on the paper doll and see how it comes, and let you guys know. It should certainly be entertaining.