PDA

View Full Version : Cleave you way through 5-man trash

Barias
10-08-2009, 03:21 AM
So, Emblems of Triumph are about to be the new black, right? I posit that we need to get through the 5-mans as quickly as possible, especially for new tanks and the altoholics that have let their warrior tanks down in getting conquest gear. (that's me)

It occurred to me that one could perhaps use this spec Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZGxcZrItrx0zidIzsGo:cdMomz) to allow the DPS to have their AoE fun while rolling and chain-pulling through the trash mobs to the boss. Of course, one would then have to change spec to single target threat or whatever is one's main preferred tanking spec for boss fights.

My main idea is to try and hold as much AoE threat as possible for the short amount of time that DPS could need to burn through trash mobs with speed, and since cleave seems to be the de-facto rage dump for multi-mob tanking I cooked this guy up.

I started with my standard deep wounds 15/5/51 and moved imp. HS out to cleave. Deep wounds/impale moved out to cruelty for the extra crit% and to booming voice for the health buffer for the healers. I took out 2 points from imp. charge to imp. bloodrage which one could pop before pulling so as to have a nice buffer for the first two cleaves, over and above the usual AoE threat rotation of shockwaving and tabbing through sunders, shield slams and revenge.

You could move the 2 points in booming voice to imp demo depending on your gear's mitigation, most notably to even out the spiky damage and give your healers a bit of a breather.

Oh, and you need a fast weapon for the cleaves to land nice and quick.

I fully expect more knowledgeable tanks to shoot this down for one reason or another, but I'd just like to know from the community whether I'm off the rails or not. ;)

Your thoughts?

Demiwraith
10-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Tbh just use the standard deep wounds build but glyph for Cleave and Shockwave and Sunder armor (under the impression this works with Devastate) Maybe drop a few more points into cruelty from somewhere.

Idea here is that glyphed cleave alows 3 targets to be hit, with enough crit u can quite happily roll Deep wounds on all the targets which adds to your threat, along with Shockwave on a shorter cd makes it more on demand. throuw in little bit more threat from sunder being applied to a 2nd target and you should blow through trash.

Taking a stong Aoe class like a Balence Druid or Mage and popping glyphed vigilance on them is another easy solution aswell as having a grp consiting of classes with strong aoe damage as your single target threat will be suffering quite abit.

Barias
10-08-2009, 08:00 AM
That does make sense, maybe I'm trying to re-invent the wheel unnecessarily. I'll run a comparison through Rawr just to be sure... I'm a visual learner. :)

I guess what I was trying to think about was doing 3 cleaves every 1.7 seconds unhasted, with 3/3 imp. cleave that would give me weapon damage plus 488.4 damage on each mob. Isn't that better than maybe landing (depending on crit%) a 48% weapon damage over 6s DoT? Beside, with a standard 15/5/51 where could I find 3 points to put into cruelty?

I fear I might be concentrating too much on only a little threat gain/loss trying to compare crit% chance to land a deep wound vs. being assured of 3 glyphed and talented cleaves. From your comment it seems the bigger picture when it comes to threat is vigilance is king, make sure you can vigilance the threat off a strong AoE instead of focusing too much on personal AoE threat, normal cleaves and shockwaves should do fine...

In any case, I'll contrinue digging through the posts here, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, I just haven't found the place where yet.

Thanks for your insight and suggestions, I'll be sure to try them out!

Horacio
10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Its an interesting concept but I'm not sure its necassary to reinvent the wheel to roll a heroic at this point. I don't really run many heroics these days because I'm frankly sick of the content having seen it many, many times on multiple characters but when I have run a few, even with the best DPSers in my guild (granted, all relative) it has not been an issue to lock down mobs until they melt.

In other words, I don't see the neccessity in spec tweaking and glyph swapping in order to blast a heoric instance but your mileage may vary and further, I understand the inclination to maximize effiency in every aspect, a sort of meta-game in a way. Could be I'm just lazy.

Barias
10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
This is more a thought exercise for those who haven't had the chance to roll through wotlk content since the beginning of the year. It might be beneficial to help getting a tank boosted through the "old" content while they're in an actual tanking role, as opposed to just being a 5th wheel. But yeah, it's all personal preference in the end. :)

uglybbtoo
10-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Honestly with the dps these days use any spec ... run in thunderclap, shockwave hit what isnt dead yet move on. I rarely see DPS below 2.5K these days and the tanks are generally above 1.7K thats a lot of DPS on heroics that were sort of designed around 1.5K. Never really get around to cleaving.

I have alot of boss kill records in heroics in under 1min as DBM likes to spam them at me. Sort of sad when you consider they used to be 4 or 5 min encounters.

The downside for DPS is there are probably less pug DPS picked up now because we will often 4 man if I have two high friend or guild dps and I know I am not alone.

Really it's going to be stupid doing heroics in all the new gear I think they need to give some thought to stiffening heroic mode so it doesnt become a joke.