PDA

View Full Version : Threat/Survival Build or pure survival?

Grant
10-06-2009, 05:15 PM
First post here, greetings!

Im currently using this build The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Rakumn&group=1) , opting to spec into deepwounds instead of improved shouts for kind of a survival/threat mix. I am using glyph of vig/taunt (taunt on beasts, vig on others) as well as last stand and shield wall for the reduced cooldowns. Do the improved shouts really improve survival by a large enough percentage to choose them over deep wounds for progression raiding? Im preparing to step into ToGC 10 with my guild and want to be as ready as possible. I need to regem some of my stuff and will get to that later, adding more stam and removing the expertise gems I had needed previously.

My current trinks depend on the fight, I have Monarch Crab, Onyxia's Blood, and the Black heart.

Another question is if I am using the glyph of taunt, are those hit gems even necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

krc
10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
For progression raiding I would go with the improved shouts over Deep Wounds all the way. There was an old thread a while ago about how much damage Improved Demoralizing shout redcuced and I think it is significant enough to take Deep Wounds over it in progression raiding.

If you get Commanding presence you will gaining around 575 health if you keep Commanding Shout up most of the time. In my opinion the damage reduction from Improved Demoralizing Shout and the extra health from Commanding Presence are going to save you much more than the extra damage and threat you get from Deep Wounds.

With your Survival Spec instead of swapping out Glyph of Vigilance with Glyph of Taunt for certain fights I would get Glyph of Devastate and switch it with Glyph of Taunt where getting a taunt is crucial, In my experience Glyph of Devastate has generated more threat for me than Glyph of Vigilance.

Thaak
10-06-2009, 06:46 PM
If I remember correctly, Fully improved demo is a 16-17%(correct me if i I'm wrong) damage reduction. That works backwards to 11.4-12.1% non talented, so you're look at roughly 4.5-5% further damage reduction by speccing it.

If you have a ret pally in the raid, make them spec into vindication as it only costs them 2 points and as long as they are attacking it is automatically applied. Just be sure when they come off the boss, or die, you are tossing up Demo.

EDIT:As far as the hit gems go, I would say drop them. Taunt works off of spell hit, so you have a 17% chance to miss. You're currently sitting at 8.62% spell hit, plus 9% from the glyph puts you over 17%. That being said, if you have a shadow priest, or boomkin in your raid, you should have an additional 3% spell hit from them. And on the off chance that you somehow end up below 17%, and miss the taunt, you can always challenging shout or mocking blow to cover the gap while taunt comes off CD(you can always throw vigilance on the other tank at that point and the next hit will refresh your actual taunt).

Destruyen
10-06-2009, 06:50 PM
better yet, make your dps warrior take imp demo. i take it in both my arms and fury builds since its better than pally vindication on fights with more than one mob, and you can control when its up, i.e. 100% uptime. if you have more than one dps warrior, make one take imp demo and the other can keep imp shouts, especially if you dont have a ret 100% of the time.

ghostcrawler said imp demo is huge, ~17% dmg reduction, and more on certain bosses (he said ~50% on thorim's unbalancing strikes).