PDA

View Full Version : Low threat?

Haterade
10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Well about a month and half ago i joined one of the to guilds on my server. We've progressed all the way up to 25 Grand crusader and just hit anub. My question is my threat seems to lacking, even more now that they nerfed Righteous defense. I use the 6969 rotation, have great gear and my spec right now is more to help the raid as being im the offtank for most of our raids. i also have alot fo complaints about people pulling agro off of one of the mulit-mobs that i tank before i even have any type of threat them, also having to chase adds around because people dont link to be in the correct posistion. Anyone have any advice i how to improve my tps?

Here is my armory link
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=baelgun&n=haterade)

Insahnity
10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Start with your hit rating. You should aim for 264 hit rating, you are at 169 hit rating. This means losing some stam (i'd start with gloves, bracers and and boots, to pick up the stamina socket bonuses there and ease the stamina loss). You can also consider 20 hit to gloves. You may not get to 264, but I bet your threat will improve alot as you get closer.

Specpally
10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I would take the points out of Benediction and 1 point out of Improved Judgements. Put 2 points into Improved Might and the other 4 into Conviction. With your gear, I'm not exactly sure what "threat seems to lacking" means. Is your TPS below 5k? 7.5k? Also, you have very high expertise. I would switch out gear that increases your Shield of Righteousness as that's one of our attacks that creates a nice amount of threat.

Mert
10-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Actually since you're tanking Coliseum you'll find most threat from a 0/53/18 3/3 Crusade build. Here is an example. You could take points out of 2/2 ImpHoJ and Divine Sacrifice and put 3/5 Reckoning for a little more threat if you like, but that's really just a matter of personal taste.

If you're still having threat issues (which you shouldn't really be with your gear in my opinion) you could try switching out the Dodge Libram for the Strength one or even simply going back to Obstruction or Sacred Shield. You could also upgrade your weapon enchant to Accuracy as while you'll lose a bit of Hit compared to the Weapon Chain, you will gain 25 Crit which will help a little with threat.

Other than that though, I can't see why you'd be having huge troubles assuming you're doing 969 etc. /shrug.

Zothor
10-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Actually since you're tanking Coliseum you'll find most threat from a 0/53/18 3/3 Crusade build. Here is an example. You could take points out of 2/2 ImpHoJ and Divine Sacrifice and put 3/5 Reckoning for a little more threat if you like, but that's really just a matter of personal taste.

If you're still having threat issues (which you shouldn't really be with your gear in my opinion) you could try switching out the Dodge Libram for the Strength one or even simply going back to Obstruction or Sacred Shield. You could also upgrade your weapon enchant to Accuracy as while you'll lose a bit of Hit compared to the Weapon Chain, you will gain 25 Crit which will help a little with threat.

Other than that though, I can't see why you'd be having huge troubles assuming you're doing 969 etc. /shrug.

This. To the previous poster who suggested he needed to be at the hit cap for his 25 man Heroic TOC threat... that's literally not possible in the current content with the gear required to tank it. You won't be able to downrank your gear to that extent and survive. If you're in dire need of hit, look at:

10 man heroic Vortex Boots
258 lvl Tier pants

The T2 helmet, which everyone is looking at because it looks badass and has hit rating on it, is actually LESS THREAT than the equivilent ilvl T9 or offspec helmet, primarily because the strength on the Tier2 helmet is so low. There's also very little excuse for using the 232 version, the straight badge helmet is significantly better even if you can't/won't get T9.25.

Umm, Titanium Weapon Chain?! In HEROIC mode?! I'm a little stunned your guild even lets you tank while going cheap on your enchants. If you're using the weapon chain for the hit rating/threat, ACCURACY. Like, YESTERDAY. If you want a more balanced enchant, Mongoose is almost as much threat now as Accuracy along with some avoidance/armor.

Optimize your gemming better. Dodge gems... not worth it for a paladin. Gem Agi/stam instead of Dodge/stam, for over 90% as much incoming damage reduction, along with some extra threat from crit and (more importantly) some EH you can count on when your'e stunned/frozen in the form of armor.

And there is preciously little content in TOC where the 3% dodge from the otherwise amazing looking tanking libram is going to save you... TOC is all spike damage. Consequently, I run the ret 200 strength libram almost all the time now for threat, so I can use my other slots to push my EH to ridiculous levels.

But... your gear is excellent. Overall, every bit as good as mine - better in some places, worse in others. If you're having threat issues and speccing 53/18 doesn't fix them, it's probably an execution issue - either your rotation needs a tuneup, or your DPS needs to better utilize their own threat management abilities.

Mert
10-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Umm, Titanium Weapon Chain?! In HEROIC mode?! I'm a little stunned your guild even lets you tank while going cheap on your enchants.

Maybe it's his Faction Champions set? :p

I did actually consider a Weapon Chain on Last Laugh for that specific fight but I've yet to do it on Heroic and it's kind of a faceroll on Normal now after the nerfs so I never bothered in the end.

Insahnity
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
This. To the previous poster who suggested he needed to be at the hit cap for his 25 man Heroic TOC threat... that's literally not possible in the current content with the gear required to tank it.

While it is not a good idea to hit the cap (it's possible, just not a good idea). I did say "aim for" not "you must be at", and "You may not get to..".
Changing 3 stam to hit stam nets you 30 hit (which is alot) at a cost of 45 stamina (567 HP buffed). If that is a make or break quantity, there are other issues.

I suggest reading the source, Theckhd's work at maintankadin.

TLDR Summary:

STR is our best threat stat until around 2900 BV, at which point Hit surpasses it.
BV, while nice, isn't really something we should stack for threat. STR is better point per point, and doesn't push you into the DR range of ShoR as quickly. Obviously take what you can get as far as gear goes, but if you get to choose between 10 STR or 31 BV, always take the 10 STR.
General gearing strategy for threat: Stack STR until you have 2900 BV, then stack hit rating to 8%, then continue with STR.

The article also explains why accuracy (25 hit/25crit) is better than the titanium chain (but not so harshly :) . Agi is better than dodge because we get really good agi-> dodge conversions whereas warriors/DKs do not. Druids/paladins prefer agi, Warriors/DKs prefer dodge.