PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Tankadin

Liquidska
10-06-2009, 10:43 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Tellin)

So my pally alt just ding'd 80 last night. I was lucky enough to get my guild to drag my in to Uldur 10 and give me some welfare epics. I am a MT on my druid main so I am pretty famalir with tanking in general.

I was wondering if there was anything one would suggest about my spec or gylphs? Right now my geming is just plain weird, I know that much. Just did whatever I had to so I could be crit immune. (Which right now, I am at 535 defense, so I am only safe aginst heroic bosses NOT raid bosses correct?)

I been hearing that I should take 1 point of improved judgments to get the optimal rotation, but I am confused how only 1 point off that will really do anything.

And what about gylphs? I was using gylph of judgement under the logic that more damage is more threat, but a pally friend of mine mentioned at my gear level that Gylph Seal of Veng and its 10 expertise is probally a smarter move.

I also feel like I am relying on Consecration a lot for AoE threat as opposed to Hammer of the Righteous so I was thinking of trading gylphs for that.

That goal is get raid ready as soon as possible, I nerded out yesterday and ran every Heroic aside form Occulus and did half a Naxx 10 and Uldur 10 with my guild. So the good gear is on its way, but where should I spend my badges first? I am thinking Tier 8 Helm / Chest is the best place to start. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Bashal
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Correct, you need 540 def to be uncrittable against a raid boss. 535 will make you crit immune on trash though.

I believe that 1 point in improved judgements is recommended to reduce the cooldown to 9 seconds, thus enabling the standard "969 rotation" for threat generation, which is something like:

(Number on left=time elapsed, number in parenthesis = ability cooldown)

0.0 Holy Shield (9)
1.5 Hammer of the Righteous (6)
3.0 Judgement (9)
4.5 Shield of Righteousness (6)
6.0 Consecration (9)
7.5 Hammer of the Righteous (6)
9.0 Holy Shield (9)
10.5 Shield of Righteousness (6)
12.0 Judgement (9)
13.5 Hammer of the Righteous (6)
15.0 Consecration (9)
16.5 Shield of Righteousness (6)
18.0 Holy Shield (9) ... and repeat.

Basically, you have an ability you can use every GCD.

Zothor
10-06-2009, 12:52 PM
First rule: Never forget Tankspot. love this place.
Second rule: Head straight over to Maintankadin.failsafedesign.com

There are a truckload of great paladin specific guides there, and lots of paladin specific people. You will continue to get useful and interesting feedback at both Tankspot and Maintankadin as a Paladin (I particularly like Tankspot for conversations of strat, choices between tanks for fights, and working together with different tanking classes), but for raw Paladin guides, specs, math, glyphs, theorycraft... Maintankadin is the place you want to study.

It sounds like the first thing you want to do is read all the stickies in the basic tanking forum, beginning with the guide to the 969 rotation (which is what the 1/2 judgements is about)

Happy hunting.